Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default I predict Half Life 2, Halo PC and Halo 2 will outsell DooM III poor Carmack

Poor idiot, he thought no one on this Earth could make a better videogame 3d engine than him.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I bet he will turn Quake IV into the "next giant leap" in videogaming.

poor Carmack, I bet he'll call up Romero and beg forgiveness to hire him back to make DooM IV

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:48 PM   #2
silencerelite
Rage3D Veteran

silencerelite is still being judged by the masses

never call john carmack an idiot. you can call yourself an idiot for setting false statement on john carmack. he doesn't say no one could make a better engine than him.

unless you have a proof on him saying that.
AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ @ 2.64Ghz| Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro | 2x1GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum | ASUS A8N-E | Sony DVD-/+RW Double/Dual Layer | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX | 150GB Raptor X | Samsung 24" SyncMaster 244T | LIAN LI PC-60USB | BFG 650W | Windows XP /w SP2
silencerelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:49 PM   #3
Gun5
l0wr1d3R

Gun5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by silencerelite
never call john carmack an idiot. you can call yourself an idiot for setting false statement on john carmack. he doesn't say no one could make a better engine than him.

unless there's a proof.
he is, I don't give a rats ass about his engine any more everyone else is catching up and is gonna pass in the fast lane soon, those games will sell out DOOM III I bet
  • Saphire Radeon X1800 XL 256MB DDR @ 650/804
  • Creative Audigy 2 ZS - Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
  • CenDyne DVD+R/RW 4x2x12
  • Western Digital 160 HDD w/ 8MB Cache
  • 3DMark2001se - 12775 3DMark2003 - 4860-old scores
Kazaa Lite 2.0.2 - Kazaa Hack 2.1 - PeerGuardian 1.96b - SmartFTP 1.0 - mIRC 6.03
Gun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Blackadder
Banned

Blackadder is still being judged by the masses

Halo PC will suck, if indeed they cut down on the fat from the xbox version. if anything, it should look better cos its been a year. but we all know that aint happening.
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:01 PM   #5
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

well, i for one plan on buying HL2, but i am undecided about Doom 3
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

I'm gonna get every nice and pretty game I can get my hands on.

Including Doom III.

All of you know that once you see the game on the shelf.. you wont be able to resist.

The game has too much history, too much hype to just leave it sitting there on the store shelf.. calling your name. Begging you to pick it up, and look at the pictures on the back.

And once you see those nice, pretty, perfectly rendered pictures you will be unable to resist the temptation to bring it to the checkout counter (please no talks of pirating in contrast to this statement, typlz).

You will bring it home, and you will install it.

It will take half an hour to install, because nowadays a game that is less then 3 Gigs isn't worth it's weight in salt (or so the developers obviously think), and you will play it.

You will be amazed and awed at the nice and pretty lighting and shadows. You will enjoy the nostalgia, of the originial DOOM MIDI files being played in the background (now that Trent Reznor is out of the picture).

And an hour later, you will quit to desktop and think.. "Why is this taking four and a half gigs on my hard drive?" And you will uninstall it.

And then you will come to the Rage 3D PC Gaming Forum, and cry and moan about how much the game sucked, much like most of you did with Unreal 2.

How bout that, lamers?
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:31 PM   #7
Synthesis

Synthesis is still being judged by the masses

John Carmack is definatly not an idiot. He almost single handedly creates the best graphics engines in the world. The man is a programming genius. I don't think id tries to create the best "game" but rather the best "engine." They make all of their money on licensing their technology long after the game they created it for has shipped. That said I don't think Doom III will be as good as HL2 gameplay wise and it probably won't sell as many copies.

-Synthesis
Synthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:34 PM   #8
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Hello Synthesis.

Welcome to the Rage3D forums!

You picked a heck of a topic to make your first post on

Be sure to read my witty banter in the post above yours, as you may have missed it due to me submitting it whilst you were typing.

Thank you and have a most excellently extraordinary day.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:46 PM   #9
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Heh, sounds about right. I don't care, I will get it anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:59 PM   #10
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Ostsol is still being judged by the masses

Just curious: is Carmack actually the lead designer for Doom 3 or just the lead programmer?
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
SoundBlaster Audigy XGamer

-Ostsol
Ostsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:59 PM   #11
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

im gonna buy them all, but im more excited about HL2. but you know what, he could care less if im 'less excited' about doom3 as long as i bought it.

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:01 PM   #12
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally posted by Ostsol
Just curious: is Carmack actually the lead designer for Doom 3 or just the lead programmer?
Yes.

(I don't really know.. but his name comes up everywhere, so I guess he's the 'Derek Smart' of Doom 3)
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:28 PM   #13
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Quote:
Originally posted by Crawdaddy79
Yes.

(I don't really know.. but his name comes up everywhere, so I guess he's the 'Derek Smart' of Doom 3)
Hmm. . . Somehow I doubt that. Carmack isn't nearly that arrogant and/or antagonistic, anyway.

I just found my Doom 2 manual, though, and in that game he was one of the "software engineers" (aka engine designer/programmer). The designers were Sandy Petersen, Shawn Green, and American McGee.

Looks like Carmack's influence on gameplay design extends only as far as what he makes the engine capable of. Thus, the "game" part of Doom 3 is likely in other hands.
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

-Ostsol
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:29 PM   #14
Xtasy0
Radeon R200

Xtasy0 is still being judged by the masses

pretty sure carmack is the lead programmer, and tim willits is the lead designer...
Xtasy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:30 PM   #15
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtasy0
pretty sure carmack is the lead programmer, and tim willits is the lead designer...
Ah. . . So why does everyone ***** about Carmack making Doom 3 a good engine without a good game attached to it?
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

-Ostsol
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:44 PM   #16
ToxicFool
eat samophlange

ToxicFool is still being judged by the masses

Who cares if Doom3 doesn't sell.. Carmack is no idiot. He just likes to push the limits of hardware and he programs damn well. Plus he is also some type of rocket scientist. So calling him an idiot.. would make everyone in the entire world look like retards on crack.

"You might want to keep an eye out for this big H... cause thats where heaven is."
ToxicFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:50 PM   #17
zacharyaus
arm the homeless

zacharyaus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtasy0
it annoys me when people bash Carmack and think they geniuses because of it.

Carmack is the only programmer actually, everyone else is in marketing, graphic design, R&D etc. he said something in a Q&A once about how he feels better when there is programmer working towards a set goal indstead of a team working towards a general goal...something like that

either way, i have the Doom3 alpha and it's awesome even in it's infancy it manages to scare and amaze me ... will it be the "best" game when it comes out? honestly i don't know. either way, i'll be getting both HL2 and Doom3

Carmack's goal is not just to make a game, but to create an engine upon which the greatest games that we will be seeing for the next few years will utilize. doom3 is just a way of introducing this engine to the public.
[Radeon 9800pro]
[Catalyst 3.6 and DirectX 9a]
[Enermax 431w]
zacharyaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 11:52 PM   #18
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by Crawdaddy79
I'm gonna get every nice and pretty game I can get my hands on.

Including Doom III.

All of you know that once you see the game on the shelf.. you wont be able to resist.

The game has too much history, too much hype to just leave it sitting there on the store shelf.. calling your name. Begging you to pick it up, and look at the pictures on the back.

And once you see those nice, pretty, perfectly rendered pictures you will be unable to resist the temptation to bring it to the checkout counter (please no talks of pirating in contrast to this statement, typlz).

You will bring it home, and you will install it.

It will take half an hour to install, because nowadays a game that is less then 3 Gigs isn't worth it's weight in salt (or so the developers obviously think), and you will play it.

You will be amazed and awed at the nice and pretty lighting and shadows. You will enjoy the nostalgia, of the originial DOOM MIDI files being played in the background (now that Trent Reznor is out of the picture).

And an hour later, you will quit to desktop and think.. "Why is this taking four and a half gigs on my hard drive?" And you will uninstall it.

And then you will come to the Rage 3D PC Gaming Forum, and cry and moan about how much the game sucked, much like most of you did with Unreal 2.

How bout that, lamers?
Very true but let me add that since its common knowledge that Nvidia is sponsoring DooM III and John Carmack himself has admitted to be developing DooM III using Nvidia hardware and driver extensions that there is a 99.9% chance we will see the "Nvidia The way its meant to be played" logo every time we start the game of DooM III and the frustration non-Nvidia card owners will feel when repeatedly seeing this logo.

Hype will make many buy DooM III, hype will make many say that its a great game and engine, hype will influence the hardware you buy.

Take Chaser for a moment, its not a great game but it looks good, the developer is using their own 3d engine and they are also supporting Matrox's Parhelia for 3 monitor surround gameplay.

Yet I was doing some research and BF 1942's latest patch makes support for Matrox's Parhelia Surround feature null and void. EA is the publisher of BF1942 and this game worked fine for Parhelia users, EA is also partnered with Nvidia's "TWIMTBP" program, do any of you see whats going on here.

This is Rage3d, an ATI user site and its obvious Matrox is not ATI, its also obvious that Matrox's Parhelia had its problems but it is still a 3d card with ATI R200 or Nvidia Nv20 level power that was crippled due to low clock speeds, but its still usefull as a 3d gaming card. Also ignoring Matrox by cutting support for them will hurt this industry's possible future contender and this will affect all of us because ATI and Nvidia will just be into themselves and prices will stay sky high. I am hoping Matrox gets another chance cause god knows this industry needs them right now.

There are alot of new game developers making their very own 3d engines because they know that its better to earn your own money by making your own engine than to pay and rely on one man who thinks he is a god just because he says so.

Face it, John Carmack is obsolete, he is too full of himself, the gaming media that continue to hype him for free are actually killing the 3d PC gaming industry by hyping only one company's engine.

Yes the independent 3d engine makers have a high chance of turning out mediocre games but you know what, at least they made their own bed and they get to lie in it and not get buried by owing some one else.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V

Last edited by Akumajo : Jun 16, 2003 at 11:57 PM.
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:03 AM   #19
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Are you still sore about the "benchmark" NVidia released?
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

-Ostsol
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:25 AM   #20
Slurpee

Slurpee is still being judged by the masses

dood Carmack brought his pc on his honeymoon to code!
Slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:31 AM   #21
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally posted by Slurpee
dood Carmack brought his pc on his honeymoon to code!
To break the code to his wife's chastity belt.

She is now using a 1024 bit encryption code. He never gets any.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:39 AM   #22
Alpha

Alpha is still being judged by the masses

Why are people hating on Carmack and DoomIII?

So what if Half-Life2 turns out to be a better game.. you play it for 3 days and it's over. Then you go buy a copy of DoomIII and it's done in a couple days.

The games aren't coming out the same week or month so there is no conflict of interest.

You're allowed to own more than one game people!

Other people won't buy DoomIII because they think id is in bed with Nvidia, wow, so is every other developer so stfu!
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:39 AM   #23
suckawaster
Radeon R300

suckawaster is still being judged by the masses

calling doom 3 doom 3 is wrong. It seems more like a first person Resident Evil. Hmm, lets see we can have fat zombies like resident evil OR green haired zombies with guns and tomatoe *****es....

*im not bashing RE, I like them*
asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard
WIN2k
120 gig Maxtor ATA-133
3dmark2001se - 16200
suckawaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 01:21 AM   #24
Ostsol
Cheesesun

What, did the developers of RE copyright the use of fat zombies in games or something? Is fat zombies somehow the trademark of RE? Give it a rest. . . If you're gonna call Doom 3 a rip-off of RE you'd have to say that RE is a rip-off of the Evil Dead movies.

Evil Dead is Evil Dead.

Resident Evil is Resident Evil.

Doom 3 is Doom 3.
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

-Ostsol
Old Jun 17, 2003, 02:21 AM   #25
RAZOR[x]
Radeon R700

RAZOR[x] is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha
Why are people hating on Carmack and DoomIII?

So what if Half-Life2 turns out to be a better game.. you play it for 3 days and it's over. Then you go buy a copy of DoomIII and it's done in a couple days.

The games aren't coming out the same week or month so there is no conflict of interest.

You're allowed to own more than one game people!

Other people won't buy DoomIII because they think id is in bed with Nvidia, wow, so is every other developer so stfu!
Yea right... u play the mp for 3 day's ? yea maybe doom III , wich ill prolly never even try. but i can asure u HL2 will last longer then 3 days.

And yea i can agree that the hating is kind of retarded. then again i can see the hype is also kind of overdone.

-RAZOR[x]
Westerdigital 80 GB (7200 rpm)/WD Raptor 70 GBX2=Ichr5 0 array (10000 rpm)
Plextor Premium 52x/32x/52x
Asus DRW-1604P/16x+/-DVD-RW
Nvidia Gforce 6600 256 ddr
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Monitor:2X Viewsonic VP201b (20.1" lcd)
Logitech MX1000
Razer DiamondBack
RAZOR[x] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 03:31 AM   #26
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: I predict Half Life 2, Halo PC and Halo 2 will outsell DooM III poor Carmack

Quote:
Originally posted by Akumajo
Poor idiot, he thought no one on this Earth could make a better videogame 3d engine than him.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I bet he will turn Quake IV into the "next giant leap" in videogaming.

poor Carmack, I bet he'll call up Romero and beg forgiveness to hire him back to make DooM IV
Is your head shaped like a penis by any chance?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 03:40 AM   #27
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

Well, there's something in his hair and it ain't Brylcreem.
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 03:41 AM   #28
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Who ever said that about D3 needs their head examined, D3 graphics is are revolutionary. HL2 graphics are evlotionary,

EVERY ID game has been exceptional and great fun to play.

So come the end of the year and you wanna buy a game, will it be the Doom3 that everyone wanted to snub out just for the sake of snubbing out soley because you had your head up your ass around the time of the announcement of HL2?

Or will curiosity get the better of you when you remember that NO OTHER game on the market (at that time) will game better graphics? espcially when that shinny new 9700/9800pro hasnt been really put to the test yet.

methinks the later....

RoLo
Old Jun 17, 2003, 03:50 AM   #29
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

Does he really think that Halo will outsell Doom ]|[?

I doubt it, and if it did it would be because of the tough hardware requirements to see the game in its full glory (a Radeon 9500 or better).

I'm not an iD fan myself, but I don't see why people should knock a guy all the time just because he's the most famous gaming coder in the world (petty jealousy?). I'll still buy Doom ]|[ though - I played Doom at Uni when it was released so it'll be good to see how the series continues.
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:08 AM   #30
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally posted by systems
Does he really think that Halo will outsell Doom ]|[?
I think it already has..

I really think all you guys are up to a rude awakening when you play Doom3. It won't live up to the hype. It's graphics are really not that impressive in comparison to some other graphically intense titles (some UT2003 maps more or less resemble the Doom3 seen in the demo move and screen shots). And I really have doubts the game play itself will be worth its salt.

Yes, Doom3 is designed to be graphically impressive, not to be a fun and innovative game. Therein is the problem.

I'm pretty sure that HL2 may end up disappointing many as well. Not necessarily because it will be bad, but when anything has that much hype attached, it's almost guaranteed to fall short.

Also, when taking the time to replay the original HL, I'm starting to wonder how the game ended up being so badly overrated. Granted: it's a major step up from Quake 2 but the gameplay has nothing on Deus Ex or System Shock 2. It's really just the same old run and gun format, with you having no clue what's going on most of the time. You rarely talk to people, and when you do it's just a generic scientist or bodyguard.

HL doesn't really have the unique character interaction of Deus Ex, and neither does it have the intense atmosphere and open level design of System Shock. I'm not sure that makes it a bad game, but it's not half as revolutionary as people make it out to be. After all the hype the original has now received, it's really a letdown to replay it.

Quote:
Originally posted by systems
I'm not an iD fan myself, but I don't see why people should knock a guy all the time just because he's the most famous gaming coder in the world (petty jealousy?). I'll still buy Doom ]|[ though - I played Doom at Uni when it was released so it'll be good to see how the series continues.
I knock Britney Spears too. Why? Because there are so many more talented artists out there who don't make half as much money or gain half as much notoriety.

It's not that Carmack is bad, but he shouldn't be the most famous game developer-- not when you have guys like Warren Specter out there.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jun 17, 2003 at 04:19 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote