Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

RedHerring is still being judged by the masses

Default Sleeping Pills

Do you use them?

With school coming up, I have to wake up at 6:30 AM (yes, it does exist) And sometimes I just cannot fall asleep. I wake up cranky and sleepy and that makes the High School experience even worse.

My friend has some herbal sleeping pills, but they are not FDA approved, and I would ask my parents before trying something risky like that.

I would probably only take them once a week, but I do'nt know how much you would have to take fo ryou to become dependant...which is really bad.

So, would you recommend sleeping pills? If not, do you have any suggestions to fall asleep faster?
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:33 PM   #2
ToxicFool
eat samophlange

ToxicFool is still being judged by the masses

I would never use sleeping pills. Its a depressant and lowers your heart rate. So you have to be careful. If it was up to me I'd just go to school sleepy and sleep in the no brainer classes.

"You might want to keep an eye out for this big H... cause thats where heaven is."
ToxicFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:40 PM   #3
chramcow_daniel
In play, run(s)

chramcow_daniel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Do you use them?
no
chramcow_daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:33 PM   #4
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have bouts of insomnia, so I have tried sleeping pills once (oxazepam). Didn't work out so well - I didn't get to sleep any faster, woke up really groggy and my wife started to complain that I was speaking Greek in my sleep (I only speak english...). I find herbal teas work well, or an alcoholic beverage if there's a lot of stress.

Best thing I've found if you expect to be able to get at least eight hours sleep is two sprigs of mint (peppermint is best), two sprigs of catnip, one or two sprigs of lemon balm and two sprigs of lavender. Let it steep covered for 15-20 minutes and drink an hour before you go to bed. Be warned, 'tho, if you have to get up too early you will be very groggy for a while.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:59 PM   #5
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

RedHerring is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by cbsboyer
Best thing I've found if you expect to be able to get at least eight hours sleep is two sprigs of mint (peppermint is best), two sprigs of catnip, one or two sprigs of lemon balm and two sprigs of lavender. Let it steep covered for 15-20 minutes and drink an hour before you go to bed. Be warned, 'tho, if you have to get up too early you will be very groggy for a while.

cbsboyer
Where would you find these things?

I might try it.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:00 PM   #6
BaronVonBalsac

BaronVonBalsac is still being judged by the masses

Herbal means it's a scam, and prescription means it'll kill you after a while.

Go to a drugstore and get Over The Counter sleeping pills with Doxylamine Succinate in them. They will knock you out, there safe and non habit forming.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:11 PM   #7
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHerring
Where would you find these things?

I might try it.
Some health food stores might have them, garden centers will usually have the plants so you can start a garden (and these plants are good for inexperienced gardeners - you probably couldn't kill them if you tried ).

If you know what you are looking for and what you need, herbals do work, but if used improperly they can be as dangerous as any other medication. If you have any questions or concerns talk to a qualified herbal practitioner (I just know what works for me).

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:30 PM   #8
_Kosh_
All Alone in the Night

Location: I have always been here. My actual post count is 65535 plus the number below:
_Kosh_ is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Sleeping Pills

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHerring
Do you use them?

With school coming up, I have to wake up at 6:30 AM (yes, it does exist) And sometimes I just cannot fall asleep. I wake up cranky and sleepy and that makes the High School experience even worse.

My friend has some herbal sleeping pills, but they are not FDA approved, and I would ask my parents before trying something risky like that.

I would probably only take them once a week, but I do'nt know how much you would have to take fo ryou to become dependant...which is really bad.

So, would you recommend sleeping pills? If not, do you have any suggestions to fall asleep faster?
Well, I believe not being FDA approved doesn't make a product dangerous or risky. And conversely, FDA approved products can be dangerous or have risks. Just consider narcotics or chemotherapy products. Ordinary bread or carrots are not FDA approved. Pills containing herbal ingredients probably fall into the "food supplement or something" category, which makes their sale legal without such approvals.

I actually prefer herbal pills, such as those that contain valerian root, passion flower and Hops. What you need to know about such herbal pills is that if you take them too often they seem to not work as well, or not at all after a while. So, using them about once a week would probably be ok.

You should still ask your parents, but in your place I wouldn't be so afraid of that kind of product. It depends on the actual hebs in the pills. I don't know about them all. I consider those above safe. The first thing to do might be to try to understand what is the root cause of your problem and try to address it directly instead of trying to cure the symptoms. If you need those pills regularly you might want to payi a visit to your physician. ../K
Ahhhh, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music... not the song -- Ambassador Kosh - Reborn
_Kosh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Johnny Chimpo
Rage3D Veteran

Johnny Chimpo is still being judged by the masses

I have used prescription sleeping pills before. They knock you out for a while. Dont take them unless you can sleep for at least 8 hours or you might have a hard time getting up.
Sapphire Vapor-x HD 4890
Johnny Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:02 PM   #10
Chuck_Norris
Radeon R600

Chuck_Norris is still being judged by the masses

every sleeping pill that i have ever taken has only lead to me being addicted to it. i absolutely couldnt go to sleep without it. that was over the counter stuff too.
Chuck_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:12 PM   #11
Oreo_The_Cookie
Last Temptation of Christ

Oreo_The_Cookie is still being judged by the masses

Fight Club Says, "You need healthy, natural sleep. Chew valerian root and get more exercise."
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:19 PM   #12
dopeuk
No!No!No! its mine! O-o

dopeuk is still being judged by the masses

young ppl should not need sleeping pills to sleep
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:35 PM   #13
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Oreo_The_Cookie
Fight Club Says, "You need healthy, natural sleep. Chew valerian root and get more exercise."
lol! yeah, that part is great.

anyway, i've taken them twice. they worked. i had an exam and couldn't sleep, so i took two and was asleep in about half an hour.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:17 PM   #14
Shady
Kinda like Jesus...

Shady is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Oreo_The_Cookie
yeah, i took a note from Fight Club, but not that one.

I could never sleep, always had too much energy, even at like 3:00 AM.

so i decided to start a little Fight Club with a couple friends of mine.

yeah, that got me tired real quick, but i'm sure you can find less violent ways to get to sleep
Originally posted by Seek & Destroy
if 3dfx were alive today, we would have cards with nine thousand VSA-100 chips, rusulting in numerous chiropractor visits following installation.
Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:57 PM   #15
JungleFreak
Radeon R420

JungleFreak is still being judged by the masses

just get some tylenol PM. they work ok and are not habit forming.
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignorant war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." --Albert Einstein
JungleFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:54 AM   #16
cokaznmenkeh
Trogdor!!!!

Location: Where don't I live? do i just go somewhere and not live anymore?!
cokaznmenkeh is still being judged by the masses

at camp i was reduced to using benadryl to help me sleep
<cokaznmenkeh> they are twins lol....
<Robotzombie> THEY'RE TWINS
<Filburt> which seems kinda odd since they're twins

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicFool
I wish I had PMS too.
cokaznmenkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:33 AM   #17
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Sleeping pills? Just sip a bottle of whiskey!
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:39 AM   #18
Oreo_The_Cookie
Last Temptation of Christ

Oreo_The_Cookie is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyr-Sog
Sleeping pills? Just sip a bottle of whiskey!
Forget what I said, Whiskey is the way to go
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:49 AM   #19
SlickChicFallen
Radeon R420

SlickChicFallen is still being judged by the masses

I take anti-depressants (zoloft) and that stuff makes me sleepy anyways... It works out well, I have to (well, choose to) take the stuff, and it has a pleasant side effect for me

[EDIT]

damn, I wish I knew where my 'lil blue buddies' were... bah, I can't sleep... too depressed and sh!t... BAH...
And to Slippery Chicken Fornicating.. you woman! Trying to fool us men with your woman tricks!

Last edited by SlickChicFallen : Aug 19, 2003 at 02:24 AM.
SlickChicFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:42 AM   #20
RadagastZ
12' Tall Reptilian Alien

RadagastZ is still being judged by the masses

Ambien will knock you straight the hell out. But it's very habit forming. And if you take one and then wind up staying awake for some reason or another, you'll be in hell.
RadagastZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:39 AM   #21
Nocain
Rage3D Veteran

Nocain is still being judged by the masses

ummmmmm don't spend alot of time in front of the computer at night

Don't know if you sit up all night in front of a computer or tv, but try getting off the computer or tv 1 hour befor you want to go to sleep.... read a book or something relaxing..... the glow off monitors/tv can have an odd effect on some people and thier sleep habits

As for sleeping pill.... screw those things... Sleeping pills leed to pill poping I have seen it happen to more then a few people I know....

I suffer from bad insomnia, I just deal with it and one day a week I just sleep all day, my problem is odd though I'm just naturally nocturnal... always have been probably always will be once it gets dark outside my brain just kicks into overdrive.... funny though I don't have a problem when I go over sea's.... maybe I was just born in the wrong hemisphere
Nocain is offline   Reply With Quote