Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
UFO
Who's your buddy?

UFO is still being judged by the masses

Angry Why is everything first released in USA?

I've noticed everything is released first in USA and a time after that in Europe. FarCry have been out at least a week in the US and it hasn't even showed up in Europe yet. The same thing is for other products as well. They always get released in USA first and other countries must settle to see the products weeks if not months later. The odd thing is that things that are even produced in Europe is released in USA first anyway. What's the logic behind this? Furthermore in other countries in Africa and middle east the products shows up even later.

One might believe that this has something to do with that they earn more in the American market. If you investigate the prices you quickly see that the price is much higher in Europe and even higher in third world countries.

So all other countries must settle with later releases and higher prices. WTF have I done to deserve this?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Red Dragon Tong
Pii = 2

Red Dragon Tong is still being judged by the masses

Most counterfiters are in europe.

They release in countrys where its harder to copy.
Make money in usa. then release it where they make less money.
Red Dragon Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3
kronchev
Radeon R420

kronchev is still being judged by the masses

uh

farcry hasnt been released yet. its a stolen copy. also its buggy as hell so youre not missing anything.

plus, we make it, of course were going to get it first. were also by far the largest market (although the UK is insane in that respect)

/edit: it was planned to be released yesterday:

"Cry is scheduled to release on March 23,"

oh yeh and it looks like ****. the leaves are SPRITES for ****s sake. plus the controls are terrible
Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro
2x80 gig 7200 RPM
Lian Li PC601
Dangerden-based watercooling

"fishing is big business in China. when we've eaten all the dogs and cats...we can only look towards the Sea. " - bishuse

Last edited by kronchev : Mar 24, 2004 at 12:42 PM.
kronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

NissanNazi is still being judged by the masses

They may charge more in other contries but I can guarantee after Import tax and all the other costs of selling overseas that they don't make as much as they do in the U.S.

NissanNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:49 PM   #5
UFO
Who's your buddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by tegnstyle99
They may charge more in other contries but I can guarantee after Import tax and all the other costs of selling overseas that they don't make as much as they do in the U.S.
How do you explain that things not produced in USA gets there first anyway. Besides the prices in US is so much cheaper than in Europe even if it is a product made in Europe. One explanation might be the exchange rate but the difference is so high I really wonder.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Because USA is the largest market in the world, thus they can make largest money in USA. And you don't need to transrate language(in case of titles made in USA/UK or titles made for USA market in mind). "imported" product is often more expensive because of all these costs involved in importing, as well as it usually costs more margin there, as importing involves many companies.

Oh, btw, Far Cry is not USA-made product, just like many recent PC games. Far Cry is German game. And if you look carefully, you will notice many of these Europian games released in their home country and its surrounding country before appearing in USA. Same goes for Japanese console games as well. And of course, this apply to other products too..
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:55 PM   #7
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Axl
How do you explain that things not produced in USA gets there first anyway. Besides the prices in US is so much cheaper than in Europe even if it is a product made in Europe. One explanation might be the exchange rate but the difference is so high I really wonder.
Game industory is always thinking about USA market first, also releasing in USA first makes "importing to USA from Europe" less of issue, which makes the publisher in USA happier-and happiness of them is important because they pay most.

Oh, and the games aren't only thing which is expensive in Europe, mosts of industorial products are more expensive in Europe than in USA- althoguh I cannot explain very well about this, sadly. Perhaps some Rage3D economists will
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:00 PM   #8
UFO
Who's your buddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodgypsy
Game industory is always thinking about USA market first, also releasing in USA first makes "importing to USA from Europe" less of issue, which makes the publisher in USA happier-and happiness of them is important because they pay most.

Oh, and the games aren't only thing which is expensive in Europe, mosts of industorial products are more expensive in Europe than in USA- althoguh I cannot explain very well about this, sadly. Perhaps some Rage3D economists will
I wasn't meaning only games but almost all other products as well. I've also noticed the same thing with capital goods. Asus for example which is a Tawaneese company releases their products first in USA and later in Europe.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:05 PM   #9
Firestorm_ATI
Pass the ammunition

Firestorm_ATI is still being judged by the masses

Other countries have video games?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:07 PM   #10
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by kronchev
uh

farcry hasnt been released yet. its a stolen copy. also its buggy as hell so youre not missing anything.

plus, we make it, of course were going to get it first. were also by far the largest market (although the UK is insane in that respect)

/edit: it was planned to be released yesterday:

"Cry is scheduled to release on March 23,"

oh yeh and it looks like ****. the leaves are SPRITES for ****s sake. plus the controls are terrible
lol..

the game looks like ****? the leaves are sprites?

as far as I can tell, they use alpha textures. , what else would they use for leaves?

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:10 PM   #11
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

don't video games have different publishers in different countries? that's why it takes longer to release?
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:11 PM   #12
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands

euan is still being judged by the masses

Think of it this way: Someone has to get the buggy version 0.999 test batch.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
euan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:16 PM   #13
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Quote:
Originally posted by Axl
I wasn't meaning only games but almost all other products as well. I've also noticed the same thing with capital goods. Asus for example which is a Tawaneese company releases their products first in USA and later in Europe.
Aside from that there is a largest amount of money in USA, also it has to be noted that due to the way media sees USA, success in USA is like free ads in Europe-like or dislike, USA has the largest influence. Also, since USA is single country with single language, it is much easier to set release date in USA than in Europe. And there's no need for "localization" when releasing in USA, they can just use "international version".

Still, i think there are many things that released in EU/Japan long before released in USA, though- i guess its largely subjective.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:17 PM   #14
Yeuemmaimai
Banned

Yeuemmaimai is still being judged by the masses

there are lots of things that never make it to the usa like japanese video games 190hp 4cyl accords, movies, etc.
Yeuemmaimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:19 PM   #15
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands

euan is still being judged by the masses

Talking

AFAIK a sense of humour still hasn't been shipped to the states...
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
euan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:00 PM   #16
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Besides the prices in US is so much cheaper than in Europe even if it is a product made in Europe. One explanation might be the exchange rate but the difference is so high I really wonder.
Another explanation might be higher tax rates in a particular European nation. I don't have any one nation in mind but I know that some European nations have much higher tax rates than the USA.
Quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm_ATI
Other countries have video games?
There are other countries??
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:18 PM   #17
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy
There are other countries??
You can find them in the next expansion.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:33 PM   #18
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

most films & games are made in america, therefor they come out there first

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DG,
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Raynox D250 closeup/macro attachment,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Vivitar 285HV Flash unit,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:36 PM   #19
Dalsim007
Radeon R200

Dalsim007 is still being judged by the masses

Haha!
This is for the one who said the USA is the largest market in the world. You must be kidding?
Open an Atlas... You'll find some interesting facts...Like EU (European Union) is about 800 milions big a market... The US market is near 300.....add 30 for Canada..... and Mexico isn't much to add...

Just ask yourself why the US are pushing for the ZLÉA (Free trade zone extended to the all Americas)
You could add to that the whole asian market... Just check how many people live in China and India....there must be at least the same amount of persons who would buy games as in the US if the prices were better...

Please don't spread misinformation ok? The Bush government does enough of it. So no need to have midget do it too. ok?

Thank you
Dalsim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:39 PM   #20
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalsim007

Please don't spread misinformation ok? The Bush government does enough of it. So no need to have midget do it too. ok?

Thank you
Can we leave this **** out of one thread!

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:05 PM   #21
villain4hire
Banned

villain4hire is still being judged by the masses

Talking

usa is the largest market <----------- hahahaha that's funny.. Facts rule, lies sucks
villain4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:42 PM   #22
black hole sun
Hey guys!

black hole sun is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by villain4hire
usa is the largest market <----------- hahahaha that's funny.. Facts rule, lies sucks
I hate to break it to you but Canada has 1/8 the population the USA has.

-- Abul Ala al-Ma`arri, 1057 A.D.
black hole sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:43 PM   #23
Lindset
Arrrhhh

Lindset is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by kronchev
Uh... The company that made FarCry (CryTek) is actually German... and isn't Ubisoft (the publisher) a french company (originally, at least)?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:50 PM   #24
nextbillgates

Quote:
This is for the one who said the USA is the largest market in the world. You must be kidding?
The USA is the largest VIDEO GAME market in the world. This is especially true for PC games.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:50 PM   #25
User Error
S3 Virge

User Error is still being judged by the masses

Did you know that the sun actually revolves around the USA? Other countries have only sasquatches and dragons, with a few human/bear creatures living in cabins here and there in mountains. The temperature in those distant lands can reach over 1000 degrees by day and 0 Kelvin by night.

And this is why everything gets released in the USA first.
User Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:54 PM   #26
Ub3r_n00b
Unwashed peasant

Ub3r_n00b can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyUb3r_n00b can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This thread makes me sad...
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:02 PM   #27
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally posted by Trembrol
Did you know that the sun actually revolves around the USA? Other countries have only sasquatches and dragons, with a few human/bear creatures living in cabins here and there in mountains. The temperature in those distant lands can reach over 1000 degrees by day and 0 Kelvin by night.

And this is why everything gets released in the USA first.
sad but true.

I am just glad we get games at all over here(Australia). Our market must be very small - probably about the same as a large city the the USA. However we do miss out of some games and we don't have R rated games. Far Cry is released on the 25th over here - TODAY WOOTAGE. I think it was released in the USA on the 23rd or 24th? So that isn't too bad at all some games can take months to get here - Deus Ex : Invisible War for example. However that is a poor example because it is such a crud game I am not bothering to buy it. Thanks to the USA for testing out that piece of crap.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:03 PM   #28
jbarby
Victory is Mine!

jbarby is still being judged by the masses

a lot of products take years to make it to the United States a prime example are prodeucts produced in japan and other high tech asian countries.

Sure we probably do get some things before the rest of the world. I havent really noticed that aspect however I do live here. We do not know how lucky we are at getting things early etc. until it doesn't happen to us that is probably true with any nation.

Another possible reason is not population but the fact that most of us american's cannot seem to hold onto their money buy all kinds of crap and are indebt
jbarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:10 PM   #29
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

RedHerring is still being judged by the masses

We get things first because of all the fat ass kids who sit around all day and play video games instead of going outside and getting some exercise.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:12 PM   #30
jbarby
Victory is Mine!

jbarby is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHerring
We get things first because of all the fat ass kids who sit around all day and play video games instead of going outside and getting some exercise.

I would hate to be that kid........oh wait a minute damn maybe I should .......... nah too lazy
jbarby is offline   Reply With Quote