Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 9, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

Arrow Armed Assault 2 - New Screens & Info

Quote:
ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

ArmA 2 is expected to be released in 2008.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=53704

SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looking forward to this. There was some nice things about the how the foliage is now made more random and less frame hungry, more leaves etc., more realistic.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think this may be one of those rare instances in which the sequel actually looks worse than the prequel both graphically and gameplay-wise.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

A few shots remind me of stalker........when it was in dx8 mode beta
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
I think this may be one of those rare instances in which the sequel actually looks worse than the prequel both graphically and gameplay-wise.

rrriiiggghhhtttt, maybe they can add the arcade crosshairs, jump and ability to carry 10+ weapons then throw some spells in it for the hardcore gamers like yourself Chubz ? If you dislike the series then this one will not be for you.

Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr0ttl3 View Post
rrriiiggghhhtttt, maybe they can add the arcade crosshairs, jump and ability to carry 10+ weapons then throw some spells in it for the hardcore gamers like yourself Chubz ? If you dislike the series then this one will not be for you.

I have no problem with military shooters, just problems with those that suck. Armed Assault was a miserable game that flopped hard and didn't even come close to living to Operation Flashpoint.

Not only was the game's engine perhaps one of the worst in existence (it not only looked awkward but performed very badly), but the AI was also incredibly dumb and the controls were clunky and overly complex. Granted it's a realism-based military shooter but that's not a good excuse.

The screenshots look like they came from an expansion pack. I don't see how anyone can possibly be psyched for this one when we have OFP 2 on the way.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I have no problem with military shooters, just problems with those that suck. Armed Assault was a miserable game that flopped hard and didn't even come close to living to Operation Flashpoint.

Not only was the game's engine perhaps one of the worst in existence (it not only looked awkward but performed very badly), but the AI was also incredibly dumb and the controls were clunky and overly complex. Granted it's a realism-based military shooter but that's not a good excuse.

The screenshots look like they came from an expansion pack. I don't see how anyone can possibly be psyched for this one when we have OFP 2 on the way.
Hold on the AI in OFP was incredibly dumb, at least the friendly AI unless they are trying to make out that US forces are ment to be dumb and feel that the AI controlled squad leader should order half his men to engage a man 1000 meters away when theres an enemy MG 200 odd yards in front of your group gunning you down.

As for the gfx engine I seem to recall lots of people getting poor framerates on OFP when it was first released infact it took at least a generation of hardware to get decent FPS on that game with everything cranked.

The only thing OFP has over Arma is orginality because there was nothing like it before. I find it hard to distinguish the difference between Arma and OFP, without the updated graphics they are both virtually the same, and I had both the expansions for OFP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Cobra84
Radeon R300

Cobra84 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The screenshots look like they came from an expansion pack.
It does look just like an Armed Assault expansion. It still even has the hand through the M203 grenade launcher problem caused by using the same hand positions and animations with all the guns.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can possibly be psyched for this one when we have OFP 2 on the way.
How do you even get psyched for OFP2? Its made by Codemasters and they have released nothing but bull**** artwork that is posing as screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem2k View Post
As for the gfx engine I seem to recall lots of people getting poor framerates on OFP when it was first released infact it took at least a generation of hardware to get decent FPS on that game with everything cranked.
Everything still runs Armed Assault like ass over a year later. My game varies between 60 and 20 fps so much, even within the same mission, I can't play it.

Last edited by Cobra84 : Jul 9, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Cobra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

I;m dissapointed they abaddoned the Game2 idea and turned it into AA2
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 02:14 AM   #10
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
another 'genius' who got no idea wth he talks about

i guess You are from same sort of people claiming OFP/OFPR was looking better than ArmA too

bet You can't even name major differences
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:28 AM   #11
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

The only question I want answered about it: is the aimpoint-HDR fixed?
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:46 AM   #12
0WaxMan0
Radeon R420

0WaxMan0 is still being judged by the masses

All I hope for is better AI and warfare game type from release. I dont understand why people are so down on the graphics for ARMA, yea they are not smooth or pretty, but they are nicely detailed and they get every thing in that is needed and enough more to make it feel not totally cut down.

As for performance yea my x1900xt had problems at 1600 x 1200 but my 2900XT has no problems runnig at 1920x1200.

If you have not played it for a while get the 1.14 patch and find a warfare server. Only problem with this that game type is the 32 player limit .
0WaxMan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Ning
Radeon R420

Ning is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMartigan View Post
Really ? I thought it still there.

Maybe i'm wrong.

http://www.bistudio.com/arma2.html
Quote:
Main Features

* Lifelike combat simulation (bullet ballistic & deflection, material penetration, etc.)
* Story driven single player full of twists and surprises
* Resource management, RPG elements
* Advanced dynamic conversation system
* Unique AI combat system
* Over 50 weapons and drivable vehicles
* Multiplayer with large scale maps for 50+ live players
* Built in mission editor
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I hope the make this game less boring and have aliens in them or something.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMartigan View Post
errr. Game 2 is still coming out. There was a post about it here a few days ago. It would be nice if they included a modern 3rd person covering system.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I hope the make this game less boring and have aliens in them or something.
Armed Intergalactic Planetary Assault!.

"Watch your highy sufficent AI Marine squad gun down an unarmed alien several light years away while his alien friends in a flying saucer incinerates your dumb AI controlled squad with laser beams pewpew!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
bet You can't even name major differences
The problem is that there weren't enough differences. OFP was released in 2001. Armed Assault was released in 2007. OFP was extremely good at the time it was released, but if you play it today, the flaws are noticeable although it's still a fun game.

With six years to at least create a better realistic shooter, you'd figure the developers could get the job done, right? The AI is ridiculously stupid and not realistic like what you would expect. The engine runs horrible and looks very strange, especially the lighting. The controls are overly complex and just don't feel right, especially movement on foot in general.

There are just lots of complaints. It's as if they took OFP, made it run 10 times worse by improving the graphics, and called it a day.

Those are my main complaints with Armed Assault. When OFP was released, it was a groundbreaking realistic shooter. Was Armed Assault? Hell no. That's why it has been such a flop.

Hopefully with Operation Flashpoint 2 we'll get a top-notch realistic shooter that truly improves upon its predecessor with better AI, good graphics with a semi-decent engine powering them, good level design, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:46 PM   #18
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Will you be able to jump in this realistic sim this time around????
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:49 PM   #19
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Will you be able to jump in this realistic sim this time around????
Ahahaha, such an excellent question.

Also, it seems they're still using that truly disgusting 'bloom' filter, which looks like that newbie way of making bloom in Photoshop (duplicate layers with changed blending options and opacity). It just looks terrible... Like everything's slightly embossed and your eyes are watered over.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:32 PM   #20
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

OFP and ArmA were good games, and I liked the way they made the game so that gamers really need to think how to achieve objective and think before firing their guns; such a rarity in todays FPS.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:25 PM   #21
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

First in-game shot :

SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:23 AM   #22
Dawg
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dawg is still being judged by the masses

That looks really good to me. I have not tried any realistic shooters since OFP.

Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:45 AM   #23
mavman
True North

mavman is still being judged by the masses

OPF was a winner. ARMA was a loser. Simple as that.

OPF was realistic, but more importantly fun. ARMA tossed all the fun out the door, made the graphics a little better and dismissed critisism by calling it "realistic". Realistic is an excuse for this developer, its not a feature.
mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavman View Post
OPF was a winner. ARMA was a loser. Simple as that.

OPF was realistic, but more importantly fun. ARMA tossed all the fun out the door, made the graphics a little better and dismissed critisism by calling it "realistic". Realistic is an excuse for this developer, its not a feature.
I bought and played OFP SP 3/4 way through. Playing the ARMA demo seemed to be exactly like OFP but with better gfx, why all the hate for ARMA?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:06 AM   #25
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete stranger

ArmA, in the past week that I've been playing it, has been amazingly fun.

Maybe you didn't patch it up or something, I don't know.

But the SP is passable (not great, but that's why other hardcore users make amazing missions) and the MP is some of the best I have EVER played. 20-man co-op island sweeps are fun, no two ways about it.
Dark_Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:33 PM   #26
Grand Poobah
Radeon R600

Grand Poobah is still being judged by the masses

ArmA 2 looks relatively cool, but I'm holding out for reviews and I want to see what they did with optimizing the damn thing.
Grand Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:09 PM   #27
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Every engine they seemed to use runs like ass. At least it did each time I played them.

OFP I liked, Arma... something just felt off.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:20 PM   #28
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete stranger

Not every engine, the only engine.

ArmA is just using an upgraded OFP engine, and that's where they went wrong. It's a horrible engine for what they're trying to do. I can't imagine that all their features won't work in another engine.
Dark_Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:26 PM   #29
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i find these comments funny (i agree arma was buggy in early stage) but whoever played OFP 1.0 (or demo pre 1.0) then must agree that ArmA is WAY better

also if you set ArmA to OFP details (in video options) then ArmA runs x times better than OFP ...

not to mention all the changes in what AI can do and scripting improvements ...

but i think most of people speak only about ArmA campaign which is quite 'boring' and 'unpolished' and nothing else ...

community made missions and campaign shows true potencial of engine
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

One thing that does bother me is that this is again the same engine but tweaked / modded etc. and ArmA with the latest patch runs 'ok' for me and bearable, so much so I really enjoy the game even with some of the 'undocumented features' but with all the additions, animals, forna etc. then will I even be able to run it without a complete system upgrade ?

Time will tell I guess....