Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:15 AM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You have a score for your tuned up 10900K?

Also, can we get some game benchies at 1080p?
I'll have some eventually. I'm working on the CPU OC right now. I actually was having issues due to the E-Cores at stock .. problem with these cheap boards is that you HAVE to do everything manually -- auto is not taking care of simple things that I usually wouldn't need to worry about. I'm really curious about 3DMark PR and Timespy scores as those were extensively tested by me previously, so we can see where it stacks up! Also, if PCIE3.0 -> PCIE4.0 had any effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
Nice, I'm at 23100 stock. I can tell I'm not going to be at the top of this pile.

In Apex Legends The frames are honestly mostly the same as the 5800X the lows are lower but interestingly it feels easier hitting enemies, could be placebo. Though on human benchmark reaction time test it shaved some time not sure if that's possible but it's consistently faster.
Frametimes are likely more consistent which is definitely not placebo. Ryzen has a lot of issues with frametime and framepacing -- aka, framerate will appear high, but you're getting microstutters that you may not even notice. I'm not saying that's exactly the case or the reason, but it's very possible.

I'm running a custom loop and the CB23 score isn't "technically" stock, so don't worry too much about comparing! This chip flies at stock, honestly. It's set up very efficiently out of the box, and draws a LOT less wattage while gaming vs my 10900K (while being faster) and Ryzen (while being faster).
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:04 PM   #332
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'll have some eventually. I'm working on the CPU OC right now. I actually was having issues due to the E-Cores at stock .. problem with these cheap boards is that you HAVE to do everything manually -- auto is not taking care of simple things that I usually wouldn't need to worry about. I'm really curious about 3DMark PR and Timespy scores as those were extensively tested by me previously, so we can see where it stacks up! Also, if PCIE3.0 -> PCIE4.0 had any effects
Awesome! Hope you have time prior to deployment.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:11 PM   #333
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
You have a score for your tuned up 10900K?

Also, can we get some game benchies at 1080p?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:36 PM   #334
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

I wonder how much the price will crash on 12x00 series once the ADL refresh next year will land.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 01:03 PM   #335
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
I wonder how much the price will crash on 12x00 series once the ADL refresh next year will land.
As always it'll be a bargain. Like the $325 I paid for my 10900KF @ MC.

yoz
Old Nov 21, 2021, 06:41 PM   #336
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I don't think it'll crash much. Outside of the 12900K, the 12x00 series is priced extremely competitively -- far better than AMD priced the 5000 series at release.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 22, 2021, 02:22 AM   #337
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I think you're onto a good thing nunz. 12700k with DDR4 looks great for the price/performance ratio. DDR4 results are great for ADL and the cost of entry is so much lower (board+mem).

As I already own a 4000mhz CL15 kit, it made an upgrade more palatable so I almost pulled the trigger on a Strix Z690-A and 12900k combo, but alas, it seems ADL doesn't play nice with 4 sticks in gear 1 beyond ~3800mhz, much like my current RKL.

It's probably for the best, current system runs fine and I really don't need to be spending more money on PC parts this year... but I'll keep an eye out.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 02:47 AM   #338
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
It's probably for the best, current system runs fine and I really don't need to be spending more money on PC parts this year... but I'll keep an eye out.

Mhmmm.....mhmm.... let us know how that upgrade goes later next week
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 03:51 AM   #339
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I think you're onto a good thing nunz. 12700k with DDR4 looks great for the price/performance ratio. DDR4 results are great for ADL and the cost of entry is so much lower (board+mem).

As I already own a 4000mhz CL15 kit, it made an upgrade more palatable so I almost pulled the trigger on a Strix Z690-A and 12900k combo, but alas, it seems ADL doesn't play nice with 4 sticks in gear 1 beyond ~3800mhz, much like my current RKL.

Good joke was good.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 04:44 AM   #340
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I don't think it'll crash much. Outside of the 12900K, the 12x00 series is priced extremely competitively -- far better than AMD priced the 5000 series at release.

From what i've heard ADL is selling average at best.The enthuziasm is not big.This is why i am asking that question about the price.

Last edited by badsykes : Nov 22, 2021 at 04:54 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 06:52 AM   #341
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:

I need 1.45v SA to run 2x16 at 4000 CL15 Gear1.. lmao. Halo Infinite is a really good CPU/IMC test. I definitely like how much less this platform BSODs and acts crazy -- usually things just CTD .. no more random WHEA errors or Cache L0 errors popping up out of no where.

Lots of people are sorta struggling with 4x8 sticks but I think part of that is the mobos are just not good for DDR4 - if we had some higher end boards with better DIMM traces and more stable power, I think you'd see better results.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 07:24 AM   #342
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I need 1.45v SA to run 2x16 at 4000 CL15 Gear1.. lmao. Halo Infinite is a really good CPU/IMC test. I definitely like how much less this platform BSODs and acts crazy -- usually things just CTD .. no more random WHEA errors or Cache L0 errors popping up out of no where.

Lots of people are sorta struggling with 4x8 sticks but I think part of that is the mobos are just not good for DDR4 - if we had some higher end boards with better DIMM traces and more stable power, I think you'd see better results.
Seriosly ... ? At 200$ the cheapest they can't even put good DDR4 traces ? If this is the case then the whole platform is a big scam for milking money ....
Old Nov 22, 2021, 08:07 AM   #343
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Seriosly ... ? At 200$ the cheapest they can't even put good DDR4 traces ? If this is the case then the whole platform is a big scam for milking money ....
Huh?? There hasn't been a good memory OC board in a long time that was $200. The MSI Unify has been the only great OC board in the lower price segments ... It's been that way for a long time.

You're talking about high memory speeds with 4 sticks. That is a large strain on the IMC as well as the motherboard..
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:00 PM   #344
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Huh?? There hasn't been a good memory OC board in a long time that was $200. The MSI Unify has been the only great OC board in the lower price segments ... It's been that way for a long time.

You're talking about high memory speeds with 4 sticks. That is a large strain on the IMC as well as the motherboard..
If MSI can do it why not the others.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 02:04 PM   #345
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
From what i've heard ADL is selling average at best.The enthuziasm is not big.This is why i am asking that question about the price.
I considered picking one up, but there's no good DDR5 to be found. Probably just wait for the refresh next year.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 02:27 PM   #346
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I considered picking one up, but there's no good DDR5 to be found. Probably just wait for the refresh next year.
And what can be found in DDR5 is slower speed that better DDR4 can outmatch.

yoz
Old Nov 22, 2021, 02:45 PM   #347
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Maybe this video may help you

Old Nov 22, 2021, 03:09 PM   #348
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
If MSI can do it why not the others.
I dunno, ask them I guess. If you're running a budget build you shouldn't be running 4x8gb anyway.. it's not just the mobo, it's the IMC that struggles as well
Old Nov 22, 2021, 04:55 PM   #349
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
And what can be found in DDR5 is slower speed that better DDR4 can outmatch.
Kinda why I'm waiting for the refresh. Hopefully by then we have faster kits available. My current rig isn't hold anything I do back, so I'm in no rush to upgrade.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 04:58 PM   #350
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Kinda why I'm waiting for the refresh. Hopefully by then we have faster kits available. My current rig isn't hold anything I do back, so I'm in no rush to upgrade.
Agreed.

yoz
Old Nov 22, 2021, 05:17 PM   #351
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

DDR4 4400 19-23-23-42 compared with DDR5 5200MHz 36-38-38-74: https://www.kitguru.net/components/c...00k-testing/2/
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:48 PM   #352
Nunz
RIP Roxen

new BIOS seems to have helped stabilize 2x16gb DR in gear1. much lower SA voltage ..

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68701986?

Timespy - 20885 .. running a low voltage lock @ 987mv @ 1995mhz core .. water is warm from playing halo infinite for two hours. 19062 cpu score and im not even overclocked on the cpu .. the RAM is screaming tho

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68702151?

firestrike - does anyone even care about this anymore? lol -- 39523 w/ 40230 physics score

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68702288?

port royal - 14521 - not running my max clocks just being lazy. as expected, no difference in scores as it's a gpu bench

Last edited by Nunz : Nov 22, 2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:01 AM   #353
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Are you able to push beyond 4000mhz?

And I was wondering if it's possible to drop DDR5 back to 4000mhz or so with tighter timings in gear1? DDR5 sticks kind of act like quad channel as a by-product of their design. Surely someone has tried this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 06:13 AM   #354
acroig
Troll SMod

Folding@home

Quote:
new BIOS seems to have helped stabilize 2x16gb DR in gear1. much lower SA voltage ..

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68701986?

Timespy - 20885 .. running a low voltage lock @ 987mv @ 1995mhz core .. water is warm from playing halo infinite for two hours. 19062 cpu score and im not even overclocked on the cpu .. the RAM is screaming tho

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68702151?

firestrike - does anyone even care about this anymore? lol -- 39523 w/ 40230 physics score

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/68702288?

port royal - 14521 - not running my max clocks just being lazy. as expected, no difference in scores as it's a gpu bench
Yes we do! Thanks for the benchies.

yoz
Old Nov 23, 2021, 07:07 AM   #355
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Are you able to push beyond 4000mhz?

And I was wondering if it's possible to drop DDR5 back to 4000mhz or so with tighter timings in gear1? DDR5 sticks kind of act like quad channel as a by-product of their design. Surely someone has tried this.
Some have gotten 4133 and 4266 Gear1 but my IMC is subpar I believe. The new 0003 BIOS has made a massive difference so I may try for it again.

Truthfully, it's not worth going above 4000 Gear1, especially if you can run 1T vs 2T. Latency is more important (as you know) than the theoretical bandwidth of 133-266Mhz bump.

People have tried to drop DDR5 to 4000 or 3800, unfortunately doesn't seem to work that way. Seems that DDR5 is not capable (at least on ADL IMC) of running Gear1. Something to do with the dual memory controllers and how they communicate, I dunno. DDR5 requires Gear2, from what I've read.

There's guys in the low 40ns on DDR5 already. Incredible stuff for the first round of DDR5 sticks with zero platform or node maturity.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 03:00 PM   #356
demo
space cadet

Quote:

There's guys in the low 40ns on DDR5 already. Incredible stuff for the first round of DDR5 sticks with zero platform or node maturity.
Is that daily driver or uber voltage oc?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 04:38 PM   #357
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Is that daily driver or uber voltage oc?
It was uber voltage on the old BIOS..

now I'm running 1.38v SA (might be able to lower it, don't know yet) 1.55v VDIMM and 1.55v VDDQ -- totally safe voltages. Shamino said VDDQ cannot be "overvolted' as the rail will refuse to put out more than 1.6v anyway.

this is easily daily driver. runs cool with 5.1 P core 3.7 E core all-core OC. I'm going to tune TVB now that I've got the mem OC solid
Old Nov 23, 2021, 04:43 PM   #358
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:

now I'm running 1.38v SA (might be able to lower it, don't know yet) 1.55v VDIMM and 1.55v VDDQ -- totally safe voltages. Shamino said VDDQ cannot be "overvolted' as the rail will refuse to put out more than 1.6v anyway.

this is easily daily driver. runs cool with 5.1 P core 3.7 E core all-core OC. I'm going to tune TVB now that I've got the mem OC solid
I can tell you're loving this.

yoz
Old Nov 23, 2021, 04:51 PM   #359
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Interesting... my MO in overclocking is to push until the point of diminishing returns, or slightly past, and adjust for the lowest stable voltages all around. My goal is to maximize a balance between performance and efficiency/longevity. By cranking up the volts, I could push my 8700K to 5GHz, but that would mean a lot more noise and power consumption, which just isn't worth it for me. Actually found that my Hynix can run at CAS 14-16-16-32 with 1.4V, but don't feel it is worth it over CAS 15 at 3333MHz (the limit for this RAM), at 1.35V. I don't view the few percentage points of potential gain from pushing further to be worth it in terms of longevity, power, and cooling requirements. However, in contrast you seem to go for maximum "safe" voltage, and accept the risks associated with it.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 05:00 PM   #360
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
By cranking up the volts, I could push my 8700K to 5GHz, but that would mean a lot more noise and power consumption, which just isn't worth it for me.
That's because Intel was binning the cores for the 8086K, 5GHz at default volts.

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/06/in...core-i7-8086k/

yoz