Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:29 PM   #451
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

10c between cores makes sense without an LGA1700 mounting kit. You don't have optimal pressure on the IHS, and IHS is not flat from the factory.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:46 PM   #452
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Turned off power limits, reaching 186 watts now. Cinebench R23 again, one core maxed out at 81 degrees, the others were low/mid/high 70s.

Managed a 22412 score at stock CPU/Memory speeds (XMP 2). Not bad.

Noice. Can you run CPU-Z bench/Validate?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:57 PM   #453
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

800 for single thread, 9300 f or Multi. This is simply running the bench option.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:44 AM   #454
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The good thing about running anything below 3600 mem is the board will automatically put you into Gear1. Over that, and it switches to Gear2 on its own and you lose a lot of performance due to the increased latency.

You can try running XMP 1, and let the board try to tighten your secondary/tertiary and ODT/RTLs for you automatically, but I recommend running some stress-tests after. Some have had some instability issues with the board auto-oc.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:50 AM   #455
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

So setting XMP1 with power limit set to “let BIOS decide” OCs the chip?

I need to read into OCing Alder Lake chips. I’m behind.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 01:02 AM   #456
Nunz
RIP Roxen

No. XMP1 will allow the board to alter a few secondary/tertiary timings on the memory - typically slightly tighter than what your memory's XMP dictates.

As for power limit, it should be "Disabled - Remove All Limits" or something like that. The one that turns OFF limits is the one you'd want.

To be honest with you, you're not going to gain much from OCing the chip. 90% of performance is gained from memory overclocking. CPU OC can be beneficial for benchmarking but I haven't seen anything convincing on the CPU.

I haven't seen any guides for ADL, but aside from memory tweaking, it's not much different than Comet Lake or Rocket Lake. Memory OCing on DDR4 is very similar to Rocket Lake.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 02:12 AM   #457
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
800 for single thread, 9300 f or Multi. This is simply running the bench option.
Nice. I'm at 750/7500 with this thing OC'd
Old Dec 26, 2021, 02:36 AM   #458
Megaman
Packing heat!

I ran it again using XMP 1.

790 single, 9424.5 for Multi
Old Dec 26, 2021, 02:50 AM   #459
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
No. XMP1 will allow the board to alter a few secondary/tertiary timings on the memory - typically slightly tighter than what your memory's XMP dictates.

As for power limit, it should be "Disabled - Remove All Limits" or something like that. The one that turns OFF limits is the one you'd want.

To be honest with you, you're not going to gain much from OCing the chip. 90% of performance is gained from memory overclocking. CPU OC can be beneficial for benchmarking but I haven't seen anything convincing on the CPU.

I haven't seen any guides for ADL, but aside from memory tweaking, it's not much different than Comet Lake or Rocket Lake. Memory OCing on DDR4 is very similar to Rocket Lake.

Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 03:08 AM   #460
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I would manually set power limits to the max (4096w) and current to max (256a, if I remember off the top of my head) and let the chip use it's max turbo 24/7. Should put you at 4.9Ghz all-core and 5.1Ghz single-core, iirc. Lots of people disable the E-cores as they cause your cache to drop to 3600Mhz when they are loaded. When you're P-cores are loaded only, the cache will go to 4600Mhz. With E-cores disabled, you get that 4600 Cache in all loads. Cache typically won't go above 4000-4100 if you have the E-cores enabled even with manual OC, and for gaming rigs the E-cores are quite useless.

Once you do a LOT of research and reading, maybe start messing with TVB OCing and manually tuning AC/DC Loadlines, so you can reach higher low-thread core speeds. Other than that, ain't much to it unless you have the cooling to pump 1.3v+ to try and reach 5.1-5.2 all-core.

Last edited by Nunz : Dec 26, 2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 10:45 AM   #461
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Very tempted to join the club but board prices are ridiculous for what they offer, not to mention the performance gains in actual gaming will be minimal.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2021, 01:28 PM   #462
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
Old Dec 27, 2021, 02:06 AM   #463
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Very tempted to join the club but board prices are ridiculous for what they offer, not to mention the performance gains in actual gaming will be minimal.
Sounds like you have a case of the Megaman disease. Should take 1.5 years to clear up.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 02:15 AM   #464
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Been browsing the forums for a tight deal on a 12700K. Thinking about ditching the 10700 and building a 12700K in a Lian Li XL which is on sale right now. Decisions.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 02:27 AM   #465
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Been browsing the forums for a tight deal on a 12700K. Thinking about ditching the 10700 and building a 12700K in a Lian Li XL which is on sale right now. Decisions.
Do it ...
Old Dec 27, 2021, 08:59 AM   #466
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Sounds like you have a case of the Megaman disease. Should take 1.5 years to clear up.
Quote:
I have been very lucky with procuring hardware in 21 so don't get why I have the "bug" to upgrade. With B660 mobos incoming in January I may go to MC and pick up a bundle.

When is Meteor Lake supposed to release? Summer or Fall?

yoz
Old Dec 27, 2021, 05:41 PM   #467
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
I have been very lucky with procuring hardware in 21 so don't get why I have the "bug" to upgrade. With B660 mobos incoming in January I may go to MC and pick up a bundle.

When is Meteor Lake supposed to release? Summer or Fall?
yeah im chilling to zen4 cores to see where things are at.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 06:00 PM   #468
Megaman
Packing heat!

Semi related to Alder Lake

Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:57 PM   #469
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Semi related to Alder Lake

Megagay, how's your board pumping? I am thinking about buying one.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 02:17 AM   #470
Megaman
Packing heat!

Seems to be working and looks dope.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 04:04 AM   #471
KAC

Quote:
Seems to be working and looks dope.
Cool. Let us know when it blows up.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 06:26 AM   #472
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Looks like there may have been a bad batch of HERO boards. It's not affecting any others than the HERO.

Some are saying it's due to people not using standoffs in the top right corner, but that doesn't make much sense.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 07:18 AM   #473
acroig
Troll SMod

What's the best release guess on Meteor Lake?

yoz
Old Dec 28, 2021, 07:38 AM   #474
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
When you do upgrade , you should grab the ASUS ROG Maximus Hero. From the reviews I read, it seems to be a flaming good board.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 07:40 AM   #475
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
What's the best release guess on Meteor Lake?
August/September 2023 me thinks.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 07:51 AM   #476
demo
space cadet

Raptor Lake Q3 22
Old Dec 28, 2021, 08:01 AM   #477
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
I meant 2022 not 2023.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 08:35 AM   #478
KAC

Quote:
When you do upgrade , you should grab the ASUS ROG Maximus Hero. From the reviews I read, it seems to be a flaming good board.
I am trying to find a $300 12700K but don’t think anyone close to a MC is willing to do the trip for me.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 08:53 AM   #479
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Raptor Lake Q3 22
Raptor Lake? Q3 '22? Hmm.....

yoz
Old Dec 28, 2021, 08:54 AM   #480
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I am trying to find a $300 12700K but don’t think anyone close to a MC is willing to do the trip for me.
Getting it is not the issue, sending it to you is the PITA.

yoz