Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 27, 2021, 03:26 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Those ROG boards certainly are expensive but geez they look great.

12700k looks like a good chip, I'm sure 4 e-cores is plenty for a gaming rig. Don't see the point in shelling out more money just for e-cores on the 12900k.
Better binned P cores will be on the 12900K.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2021, 06:39 PM   #92
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

12900K seems like an odd SKU to me. 8 E-cores just seems like a waste all around. If you're doing heavily threaded workloads you'd really want more P-cores rather than more E-cores. Gaming you'd want more P-cores. It seems like something like 12P-4E would have made more sense. I don't know if it's architecture limits, power limits, or what?

Pricing tells me the leaks where this beat the 5950X in multi-threaded scenarios were probably not accurate. Also 20% IPC on the 8 P-cores compare to Rocket Lake, but the 8 E-cores only at Skylake level and clocked at 4GHz with no SMT doesn't seem to add up to matching the 5950X when all 16 cores/32 threads are working.

In any case after that last upgrade debacle where I had to RMA a bunch of boards I'm not touching the inside of my computer again for a while! So I think I'll let this one pass.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2021, 07:07 PM   #93
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 27, 2021, 07:11 PM   #94
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Another thing that occurred to me is if the benchmarks Intel ran are using DDR5, and they're only using DDR4 3200 on the other platforms, then that is going to exaggerate the difference in performance. With high quality DDR4 you can already run in excess of 4000 MHz on Intel, and Ryzen benefits a lot from running tightened subtimings even if memory maxes out around 3733 or 3800.

Anyway, the point being you can already run pretty high speeds with tight timings on DDR4 and that would potentially cut into the advantage offered by DDR5. Of course, you might be able to overclock the memory on DDR5 too, but DDR4 is much more mature so I'd expect you can push it farther compared to base specs.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 08:41 PM   #95
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So if you're buying this. You going DDR4 or DDR5? Thoughts?

I'm thinking DDR4 since Intel always ****s you over with a new board every gen. Might as well use what you have before DDR5 catches up like always.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2021, 09:37 PM   #96
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I am definitely waiting 3 months or more for dust to settle. No urgency even though my 5900X is an outdated chip.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 05:19 AM   #97
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Better binned P cores will be on the 12900K.
Yeh for sure, and a little more cache. Even so I think the i7 looks good. It'll be an interesting launch, I expect there will be scheduling issues at first.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:54 AM   #98
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The e-cores are probably going to be a good fit for all of those apps that causes the cpu to momentarily hit max boost speeds.

Perfect for EGS!

Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:25 PM   #99
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The e-cores are probably going to be a good fit for all of those apps that causes the cpu to momentarily hit max boost speeds.

Perfect for EGS!

Momentarily??

EVGA will have the Z690 DARK out on time this generation. I do have fond memories of my Z390 DARK..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Oct 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:38 PM   #100
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I am definitely waiting 3 months or more for dust to settle. No urgency even though my 5900X is an outdated chip.
Yea ok.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:42 PM   #101
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Yea ok.
3 weeks even....

yoz
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:44 PM   #102
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
3 weeks even....
Day 1 if he wants to get his hands on one.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 01:03 PM   #103
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
tru.dat

yoz
Old Oct 28, 2021, 02:30 PM   #104
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Seriously. They need to release reviews well in advance of them going on sale. That way people have time to look over various reviews and board reviews.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 02:45 PM   #105
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Anyone else think that the reason Intel is pushing the 'gaming scores' so hard is because AMD will still beat them in pure computational power with their last gen cpus?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 04:31 PM   #106
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeh I think in productivity tasks AMD will still have the edge.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 04:44 PM   #107
acroig
Troll SMod

Well good thing we're all gamers here, right?

yoz
Old Oct 28, 2021, 05:02 PM   #108
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Anyone else think that the reason Intel is pushing the 'gaming scores' so hard is because AMD will still beat them in pure computational power with their last gen cpus?
Only in tasks that utilize more than 16 threads. I think Intel should continue to focus on gaming. They're pricing competitively and targeting the gaming market as well as the overclocker/tuning market. It's a great idea, imo. AMD can keep all those useless cores that don't do **** and are a waste of power, space, and thermal density. The Big-Little design is a really smart way of trying to compensate for the rapidly increasing thermal density.

If the 12900K had 16 P-cores it would slap a 5950X around. We'll likely see that with the HEDT chips for a first iteration of 10nm desktop, ADL looks to be a great success so far.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 08:40 PM   #109
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Which motherboard are you guys getting?
Ram at 6000 MHz w/ C36 or stick with DDR4 4400 w/ C18 or some such?
Will you be getting a new 360 AIO?

Tell me.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 08:46 PM   #110
demo
space cadet

I'd wait for reviews. I have no idea of memory sweet spot, what timings can be achieved, what level of power delivery/phases is adequate etc.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 09:30 PM   #111
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would definitely wait. The lower tiers of DDR5 have been shown to be slower than a lot of half decent DDR4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 09:38 PM   #112
Nagorak

Historically switching on the first gen of a new memory type hasn't been that advantageous. In a year or two as DDR5 matures it should be better, but right now it's basically brand new base spec DDR5 vs highly mature and highly overclocked DDR4.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 09:41 PM   #113
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I might grab a 12900K but a little shitty that my H150i may not work well with it.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:24 PM   #114
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
I might grab a 12900K but a little shitty that my H150i may not work well with it.
You can get a bracket sent out.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:27 PM   #115
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

From who?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:29 PM   #116
KAC

The manufacturers are supporting in sending brackets - either free or for a small fee. Contact Corsair. Jayztwocents mentioned in his video.

Other option is to get a board with two holes like Rog Strix.

Most mfg are putting up pages like: https://noctua.at/en/intel-lga1700-all-you-need-to-know

Or https://www.corsair.com/us/en/compan...ake-processors

Too bad I am SOL because I am still on H150i pro.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:35 PM   #117
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Historically switching on the first gen of a new memory type hasn't been that advantageous. In a year or two as DDR5 matures it should be better, but right now it's basically brand new base spec DDR5 vs highly mature and highly overclocked DDR4.
This time DDR5 is relatively mature compared to DDR4.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:35 PM   #118
Megaman
Packing heat!

Thanks. I’ll need one from Corsair. I’ll have a look around if I can source one from Aus.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:41 PM   #119
KAC

Just contact them. They will send you. I love Corsair support.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 01:47 AM   #120
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

The true performance of the 12900k will be realized on the next gen very high end gpu that will be released in 2022 or 2023.In my opionion there is not point in spending 1000$ at least on this config at the end of 2021.I mean for the RTX3090 owners.Of course if you are bored go ahead.Until then AMD may release something too and the ALder lake platform will also be more mature or even cheaper...I do feel is kinda pointless investment even for very high end gpu owners.