Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 6, 2021, 07:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Recommend me a CPU/Mobo combo

To update my gaming only rig. Looking for bang for the buck here, no $300 mobos.

Intel 11th gen looks to be a flop so any good combos for 10th gen? I have access to MicroCenter, what would Rage advice?

Had looked at this combo last mobth:

http://209.147.121.98/board/showpost...9&postcount=60

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Honestly, since you already have an 8086K, if I were you I'd just wait another year before upgrading. You're not going to see much difference in most games. If you wait you can get onboard with a DDR5 platform.

If you're going to upgrade I definitely wouldn't get an 8 core processor as that will be a negligible improvement--not even worth the hassle of even upgrading, IMO.

I'd look at a 10900F, or a 10850K. The giving up the K for an F results in a pretty cost savings, and although the F can't be overclocked my understanding is you can still run it with MCE. Since there's so little left in these CPUs anyway you're not giving up much by forgoing the K.

I'd probably also look at saving money by going with a solid Z490 board instead of a Z590. A lot of Z490 boards support PCI-E 4.0 for the GPU, but it doesn't matter anyway since 10000 series CPUs don't support it. And either way there's no real upgrade path, so I don't see much to be gained by going with Z590.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 6, 2021 at 08:33 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

What Nagorak said. I think the F series scores slightly lower than the K in some benchmarks, but that wouldn't be noticeable for the most part. They also only use 95W instead of the K's 125Ws, if that's important to you.

Are your games CPU-bound? I'm in a similar boat (i7-7700K here) but gaming at 1440p with my 2080ti would only have visible benefits in a small number of games. Most everything I play is as smooth as KAC's butt.

My money isn't burning a hole in my pocket right now, so I'm waiting another year or so.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:29 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks guys, always appreciate the input.

yoz
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:03 AM   #5
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I agree, I'd wait another year and see where things are at that point.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You made fun of me for such a long while and also followed most of my reviews with clear benches. I am not sure why you would think anything has changed since November to warrant a purchase. If you are gaming, it is completely pointless to upgrade your CPU/Mobo. You can get some benefit by throwing in expensive 4000 DDR4 memory or grabbing a 3090. Another option would be to go 32 GB ram. Everything else is like 2-5 FPS deltas so if $300 is worth that much performance then sure go ahead and purchase.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:36 PM   #7
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
You made fun of me for such a long while and also followed most of my reviews with clear benches. I am not sure why you would think anything has changed since November to warrant a purchase. If you are gaming, it is completely pointless to upgrade your CPU/Mobo. You can get some benefit by throwing in expensive 4000 DDR4 memory or grabbing a 3090. Another option would be to go 32 GB ram. Everything else is like 2-5 FPS deltas so if $300 is worth that much performance then sure go ahead and purchase.
Yes, you are so right, thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I see a deal and I am tempted.

yoz
Old Mar 6, 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 02:05 PM   #9
acroig
Troll SMod

Oh, ok... I'll take 2 then.

yoz
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:47 AM   #10
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

So, I'm in the same boat as the other guys. At this point, I'd wait.

The next generation stuff looks WAY cooler anyway.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 07:50 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Unless you get a good deal on a 10900K (wouldn't touch the 10850K or 10900F - these are defective cores that didn't make the cut for the 10900K) I would just wait.

Alder Lake will be the platform worth moving to, but it will be expensive.

I'm considering waiting for the X299 replacement and getting off the mainstream platforms all together unless they start giving us more PCI-E lanes.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 08:16 AM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Unless you get a good deal on a 10900K (wouldn't touch the 10850K or 10900F - these are defective cores that didn't make the cut for the 10900K) I would just wait.

Alder Lake will be the platform worth moving to, but it will be expensive.

I'm considering waiting for the X299 replacement and getting off the mainstream platforms all together unless they start giving us more PCI-E lanes.
So 10 core is the way to go, forget 8. I could get it for $370 from Best Buy after they price match MC and I have some BB cash. Good enough price to be tempting?

What about mobo? Z490? What's a decent one that would let me do all core 5.3?

EDIT: Looking to get resizable BAR support. That can make a difference in some current and future games. Also, CPU scaling on something like Cyberpunk will benefit from my 8086K to even an 8 core 10th gen CPU.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 7, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:44 PM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I think $370 is a great price. Also, don't get crazy thinking you'll hit 5.3 all-core. Expect 5.1, and if it's a good bin, 5.2 or 5.3. My chip does 5.2 but I run it at 5.1, and it's one of the worst bins; however I tweaked the **** out of it. Also consider you're only on a 240mm rad. This isn't an 8086K, you're stepping up into the big leagues in terms of power draw and thermals I'm not sure a 240mm rad would be able to handle much beyond 5Ghz or 5.1Ghz.

Resizeable BAR is already released on all Z490 boards if I'm not mistaken, just requires a BIOS update, and some even have PCIE4.0 support if you dropped in a Rocket Lake chip.

I would go with the MSI Z490 Unify. I think it's $290. Other than that, MSI Z490 Tomahawk @ $199.

There's a round-up video from Gamers Nexus run by Buildzoid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iLS...el=GamersNexus

I seen improvements going from my 9900K @ 5Ghz to the 10900K @ 5.1. The extra cache and much stronger memory controller make a difference.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Mar 7, 2021, 01:18 PM   #14
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

5800x is starting to hit msrp in the US but with warhol rumored to be on ddr5/am5/pcie5 in ~6 months Id wait.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org

Last edited by pax : Mar 7, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 02:45 PM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I think $370 is a great price. Also, don't get crazy thinking you'll hit 5.3 all-core. Expect 5.1, and if it's a good bin, 5.2 or 5.3. My chip does 5.2 but I run it at 5.1, and it's one of the worst bins; however I tweaked the **** out of it. Also consider you're only on a 240mm rad. This isn't an 8086K, you're stepping up into the big leagues in terms of power draw and thermals I'm not sure a 240mm rad would be able to handle much beyond 5Ghz or 5.1Ghz.

Resizeable BAR is already released on all Z490 boards if I'm not mistaken, just requires a BIOS update, and some even have PCIE4.0 support if you dropped in a Rocket Lake chip.

I would go with the MSI Z490 Unify. I think it's $290. Other than that, MSI Z490 Tomahawk @ $199.

There's a round-up video from Gamers Nexus run by Buildzoid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iLS...el=GamersNexus

I seen improvements going from my 9900K @ 5Ghz to the 10900K @ 5.1. The extra cache and much stronger memory controller make a difference.
Thanks for that, I realized that with your CPU my cooling and more likely PSU would not cut it so lemme see what I do. I'd rather wait until DDR5 matures to make the jump to that so I'm looking for a 3 year gap system. I may go with the 8 core chip as my current hardware will handle that.

Thanks for the mobo suggestions, appreciate it.

yoz
Old Mar 7, 2021, 02:47 PM   #16
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
5800x is starting to hit msrp in the US
$449... yeah, still pricey.

yoz
Old Mar 7, 2021, 03:16 PM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Your PSU would be fine. The cooling would be fine for 5Ghz all-core, it's just beyond that is up to silicon lottery. I wouldn't touch an 8core.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 04:00 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Your PSU would be fine. The cooling would be fine for 5Ghz all-core, it's just beyond that is up to silicon lottery. I wouldn't touch an 8core.
Interesting that you wouldn't touch an 8 core CPU but seem happy with just 10gb VRAM on your 3080 at 4K. AMD reckon 8GB isn't enough for even 1440p and whilst I get they were launching a 12gb 6700XT so there's some spin there, there was some compelling evidence in some of their slides.

Personally I'd rather have an 8 core CPU and a good GPU with 12/16/24gb VRAM than a 10 core CPU with less VRAM. Just my opinion not based on anything scientific. I'm also trying to keep Bill's end of the discussion up here
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 04:24 PM   #19
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Their slides were bullshit. It's marketing garbage. I run a higher resolution than 1440P and I have ZERO issues with vRAM. Just because games will cache more if there is a higher capacity, doesn't mean the 8gb is hurting performance. It's more than just "some spin"; it's garbage. I play COD and I have no clue where AMD got the idea that the game USES (notice the word USES) 11.5gb of VRAM. You can set the cache settings to load up to 90% of available vRAM, and surprise, AMD used that to artificially make the usage higher, despite the 8gb and 12gb performing exactly the same. Why do you think those slides don't include framerate numbers? Because the 6700 gets torched even with that 12gb.

There are already so many clueless people when it comes to vRAM usage and how games utilize it, and AMD putting that trash out is just another marker for people to use to spread FUD.

I'd rather have 10gb of GDDR6X than 12 or 16gb of GDDR6. I'll take the extra performance over useless capacity that doesn't do anything besides allow some more caching.

Last edited by Nunz : Mar 7, 2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 06:15 PM   #20
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Keep the 8086K.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 06:20 PM   #21
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Keep the 8086K.
You're not wrong, I'm not doing anything right away.

yoz
Old Mar 7, 2021, 08:17 PM   #22
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly, since you already have an 8086K, if I were you I'd just wait another year before upgrading.
Dis!

Wait for new processes, PCIE 4 and DDR 5 combo.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 09:19 PM   #23
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Dis!

Wait for new processes, PCIE 4 and DDR 5 combo.
^
Thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 09:58 PM   #24
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

You know, if the rumors are true the next AMD release looks nice. PCIe 5.0 and DDR5..

Plus they have been on par if not a bit ahead of Intel. The next gen they just might overtake them solidly in all categories.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:17 AM   #25
acroig
Troll SMod

I hear you guys.....

I have a feeling I'm gonna pull a KAC with a cheap 10700K and an MSI Tomahawk z490 in the next couple of months.......

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 8, 2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:10 AM   #26
KAC
It might be gays!

I played COD on both a 10700 @ 4.7 Gs and 5900X @ 4.7 Gs with a 3070 and there was literally no difference in that game’s performance.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:31 AM   #27
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I played COD on both a 10700 @ 4.7 Gs and 5900X @ 4.7 Gs with a 3070 and there was literally no difference in that game’s performance.
Looking at something like Cyberpunk where more cores does make an FPS difference and having hardware capable of BAR.

Also, I want to be the badsykes of CPU/mobos.....

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:52 AM   #28
KAC
It might be gays!

Well if $500 are burning a hole in your pocket I can share PayPal info of an individual who can make good use of that money.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:08 AM   #29
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Well if $500 are burning a hole in your pocket I can share PayPal info of an individual who can make good use of that money.
I can get it for less, got Best Buy $ to use on it or $20 off combo at MC plus 5% off......

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:29 AM   #30
KAC
It might be gays!

Already justifying the upcoming purchase. Hey, if it makes you happy go for it