Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 15, 2022, 07:57 AM   #541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
I need to OC my CL14s
You're running a STRIX-A right? Also, do your sticks have temperature sensors? You'd see them in HWINFO as DIMM(1) and DIMM(3)
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2022, 08:02 AM   #542
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Word
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2022, 08:08 AM   #543
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Word
Download new BIOS just released .. bunch of us are running it through the paces now.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards.../helpdesk_bios

start reading this thread, don't be scared to ask questions. most of the guys are pretty cool and like helping others.. honestly, it's really not that hard to OC memory, just takes time. I wouldn't go for an extreme mem OC for your use-case since you are gaming, and temps in your rig will fluctuate with the seasons. as you start tightening certain timings up hard, your sticks get much more sensitive to temperature and 2-3c hotter can cause crashes. there's easy ways to avoid that by not cranking it all to the limit on certain timings. tREFI and tRFC are both major causes of that.

the thread: https://www.overclock.net/threads/of...#post-28974318

I'm pretty active on OCN under a different alias. you can probably figure out who I am
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2022, 08:24 AM   #544
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Thanks. Already running BIOS 1404. I have no memory overclock experience apart from XMP but I’ll read up , have a crack, see how it goes
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2022, 09:39 AM   #545
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default So guys, thoughts in this bundle?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...herboard_Combo

Wait for new Intel lineup later this year?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2022, 10:17 AM   #546
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...herboard_Combo

Wait for new Intel lineup later this year?
That's the exact combo I purchased (though not from Microcenter). Stable as a rock and performs great.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2022, 10:40 AM   #547
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
That's the exact combo I purchased (though not from Microcenter). Stable as a rock and performs great.
Tempted as I can get 5% off total plus got a $15 coupon from MC.

Pull the trigger or wait? When is Intel's 13th gen coming out?

yoz
Old May 13, 2022, 11:52 AM   #548
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Tempted as I can get 5% off total plus got a $15 coupon from MC.

Pull the trigger or wait? When is Intel's 13th gen coming out?
Depending on what you currently have, I'd wait. Most games are GPU-bound at higher resolutions, so my bump from a 10850K to 12700K provided very little boost to fps when running 1440p or 4K. I knew that going into it, though, but I sold my old mobo+cpu for 75% of the cost of the upgrade. No complaints here.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2022, 12:45 PM   #549
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Wait.

Raptor Lake coming Q4.
Old May 13, 2022, 02:25 PM   #550
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Depending on what you currently have, I'd wait. Most games are GPU-bound at higher resolutions, so my bump from a 10850K to 12700K provided very little boost to fps when running 1440p or 4K. I knew that going into it, though, but I sold my old mobo+cpu for 75% of the cost of the upgrade. No complaints here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Wait.

Raptor Lake coming Q4.
Thanks guys, will wait.

I figured at 1440p things were not going to improve enough to justify the purchase.

yoz
Old May 13, 2022, 02:46 PM   #551
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

No point waiting. Get it and get raptor lake when that is out.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2022, 03:13 PM   #552
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
No point waiting. Get it and get raptor lake when that is out.
Nah, they're right. A 4080 will give much more FPS boost.

yoz
Old May 13, 2022, 07:35 PM   #553
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Definitely wait, we're not far away from both vendors releasing new gens now.
Old May 13, 2022, 07:36 PM   #554
acroig
Troll SMod

Will do demo, thanks. Is Intel sticking with LGA1700 for next gen?

yoz
Old May 13, 2022, 07:41 PM   #555
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeh. I read that not all pins are being used with current LGA1700 though, so it might be a good idea to wait for z790 mobo to accompany Raptor Lake. z690 will still be supported though.
Old May 13, 2022, 07:51 PM   #556
Nunz
RIP Roxen

LGA1700 is guaranteed for Raptor Lake. There is rumor it will go one more generation after as well. Not all pins are being used, that is correct. I expect Raptor Lake to reduce power consumption as Intel refines their Intel 7 node. There's talks they have a new concept/technology that may be introduced with Raptor Lake, which would reduce current power draw by 25% at the same voltage and clock speed compared to Alder Lake. This could be something they save for Meteor Lake though.
Old May 13, 2022, 08:11 PM   #557
acroig
Troll SMod

Oh wow, definitely worth waiting for then.

Is there an obvious reason why LGA1700 mobos are so expensive? Power management?

yoz
Old May 13, 2022, 08:29 PM   #558
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Began production during the COVID era.. adjusted for inflation.. I dunno. The VRMs on even the low-end boards are beefy so that's part of the cost I'd assume.
Old May 13, 2022, 08:48 PM   #559
demo
space cadet

PCIe 5, DDR5, power stages [SPS], covid, shortages, intel
Old May 14, 2022, 01:41 PM   #560
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Began production during the COVID era.. adjusted for inflation.. I dunno. The VRMs on even the low-end boards are beefy so that's part of the cost I'd assume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
PCIe 5, DDR5, power stages [SPS], covid, shortages, intel
LOL @ Intel but 100% right.

yoz