Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 19, 2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber
Default Finally Got Dark Souls 3...

Is there a mod that prevents my controller from being flung at my monitor. Sheesh!
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Slow and methodical mod. It takes practice, but it's worth it.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2021, 07:49 PM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You old people and your silly games.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 19, 2021, 09:11 PM   #4
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Dsouls 3 has some of the dumbest bonfire placements in the entire series. Some areas there are fires right next to each other, others there are 4 gauntlets and a dog between you and the next fire.

Goode luck!!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Have you played any of of the previous Souls games before? I found Dark Souls 3 to be easier than 1 and 2, and Demon's Souls, but maybe that's because I had a lot of practice with the older games before playing DS3.

Lazy8s' advice is correct. You need to play these games very slow and methodically, and on the defense all the time. Try to aggro enemies to you one at a time whenever possible and fight them 1 on 1 rather than engaging a whole room of bad guys at once. Play through the early areas over and over and level yourself up a bit before moving on if you hit a tough area.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Have you played any of of the previous Souls games before? I found Dark Souls 3 to be easier than 1 and 2, and Demon's Souls, but maybe that's because I had a lot of practice with the older games before playing DS3.

Lazy8s' advice is correct. You need to play these games very slow and methodically, and on the defense all the time. Try to aggro enemies to you one at a time whenever possible and fight them 1 on 1 rather than engaging a whole room of bad guys at once. Play through the early areas over and over and level yourself up a bit before moving on if you hit a tough area.
Agreed on the difficulty

Remember seeing the "Lure it out" tips everywhere? I think that was the #1 reason people died when summoning me into a game, just rushing in without any tactics at all.

Great fun and satisfaction at the end though. I still haven't found a game that scratches that exact Dark Souls 1 first playthrough itch ...not yet.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 05:28 PM   #7
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards

Things also start to go a bit smoother once you learn to embrace rolling through attacks as opposed to merely trying to roll/dodge away from them. iFrames are huge in these games.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 06:28 PM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
just rushing in without any tactics at all.
KAC style. Its why he hates these games.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 06:35 PM   #9
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Could be lol.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 06:57 PM   #10
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

All good tips. My body is ready.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:23 PM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
All good tips. My body is ready.
Better pucker up that ass.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:46 PM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Better pucker up that ass.
Proven fact: Learning to parry properly lowers the pucker factor from 8 to 5 easily. This has been scienced and proven.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:52 PM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Roll in. 1-2 slash.
Roll out.
Roll in. 1-2 slash.
Wait 60 seconds for stamina regen.

Run around in big circles to drink the 2 health potions you have.

Ooo I got tactics buddy.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:54 PM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Roll in. 1-2 slash.
Roll out.
Roll in. 1-2 slash.

Ooo I got tactics buddy.
That's actually Nioh. No wonder you didn't like Souls
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:58 PM   #15
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Roll in. 1-2 slash.
Roll out.
Roll in. 1-2 slash.

Ooo I got tactics buddy.
That is the n00b tactic for Souls games.

Try parry/riposte, and getting behind enemies for backstabs.

Here's how I play DS1 for fun when I want to relax after a hard days work.

Old Apr 20, 2021, 08:02 PM   #16
KAC
It might be gays!

I played DS1 for about 5 hours. I made good progress as well. Much better than I expected but the sheer tedium of the game bored me to death.

As for nub or not, I have seen some players try to kill monsters on the tube and it was exactly the same. Yes of course they could parry 100x better than me but I wasn’t willing to learn “when to parry” with what gesture and what pixel moment through dying and going back 20 kms of bonfire to find out.

Ain’t nobody got time for that crap. Also the fact that everyone respawns because you sat down to save was a complete turn off.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 06:18 AM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
That is the n00b tactic for Souls games.

Try parry/riposte, and getting behind enemies for backstabs.

Here's how I play DS1 for fun when I want to relax after a hard days work.
Anor Londo and the Keep were some of the best times and best farming

edit for mizzer: Parry/riposte against some enemies in 3 need tighter timing than DaS1, but it's so worth it. Practice on the weaker enemies and you'll nail it in no time.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 07:03 AM   #18
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I played DS1 for about 5 hours. I made good progress as well. Much better than I expected but the sheer tedium of the game bored me to death.

As for nub or not, I have seen some players try to kill monsters on the tube and it was exactly the same. Yes of course they could parry 100x better than me but I wasn’t willing to learn “when to parry” with what gesture and what pixel moment through dying and going back 20 kms of bonfire to find out.

Ain’t nobody got time for that crap. Also the fact that everyone respawns because you sat down to save was a complete turn off.
I'm just busting balls of course. I've said for years the game is not for everyone. Its got a retro difficulty style that takes a certain kind of patience to learn the game's mechanics before you can get into a groove with it. As opposed to most modern games that hold your hand through the early parts. Souls throws you right into the fire with little to no help. This is usually the time when most people decide it's not for them and give up. But for those that muscle through that early challenge find a very engrossing and rewarding game.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:22 PM   #19
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

I played Dark Souls 3 for all of an hour, then I uninstalled. I don't like playing games that are frustrating just for the sake of being frustrating and the devs admitted they made the game that way (though the word they used was "challenging"). I did find mild amusement in killing that early game boss by baiting it to roll off the mountain cliff, but after that I just went "meh".

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:57 PM   #20
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Well not everyone sees it as frustrating, and rather some actually see it as challenging in a good way.

These games are designed in a way that they make you feel like you're getting incrementally a little better each time whenever you mess up and make a mistake. IMO there's a distinct difference between actual frustrating games and Souls games. In Souls, aside from a few rare instances every time you die it truly is your fault and not the game's fault. That's where the "challenging but fair" description came from.

If you study the environment carefully and watch how enemies telegraph their movement and attacks you will have the all the data you need to succeed from the first try. Its just a matter of first learning the game mechanics and honing your skills enough so you can execute with that information the game is giving you. Its also why I struggled the most with Dark Souls 1, and found all the other games in the series to be easier. Because DS1 was my first Souls game.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:08 PM   #21
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Well not everyone sees it as frustrating, and rather some actually see it as challenging in a good way.

These games are designed in a way that they make you feel like you're getting incrementally a little better each time whenever you mess up and make a mistake. IMO there's a distinct difference between actual frustrating games and Souls games. In Souls, aside from a few rare instances every time you die it truly is your fault and not the game's fault. That's where the "challenging but fair" description came from.

If you study the environment carefully and watch how enemies telegraph their movement and attacks you will have the all the data you need to succeed from the first try. Its just a matter of first learning the game mechanics and honing your skills enough so you can execute with that information the game is giving you. Its also why I struggled the most with Dark Souls 1, and found all the other games in the series to be easier. Because DS1 was my first Souls game.

That's too much trial and error to proceed. I don't like games where it's impossible to proceed on your own once you learn how to maneuver, where you are required to die in order to win (hence why I don't typically enjoy rogue like games).

I know DS is not a rogue type game, but there is literally nobody alive that hasn't died in the game playing their first time through. Dying once to learn something isn't so bad, but when you have to die multiple times just to get past a certain area, finally figure out the pattern and proceed, and then encounter the same thing again just a few screens down only now a different pattern...I just don't have the time or patience for that like I used to.

I played DS1 and got pretty far into it, though I don't remember why I stopped. I tried DS2 for a minute, then tried DS3 for an hour and I couldn't do it anymore. Just not my cup of tea.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:15 PM   #22
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
That's too much trial and error to proceed. I don't like games where it's impossible to proceed on your own once you learn how to maneuver, where you are required to die in order to win (hence why I don't typically enjoy rogue like games).

I know DS is not a rogue type game, but there is literally nobody alive that hasn't died in the game playing their first time through. Dying once to learn something isn't so bad, but when you have to die multiple times just to get past a certain area, finally figure out the pattern and proceed, and then encounter the same thing again just a few screens down only now a different pattern...I just don't have the time or patience for that like I used to.

I played DS1 and got pretty far into it, though I don't remember why I stopped. I tried DS2 for a minute, then tried DS3 for an hour and I couldn't do it anymore. Just not my cup of tea.
Its a legitimate complaint, and its going to depend on the player. Some people do enjoy the feeling of this sort of trial and error, when you finally figure out how to get past a tough area after many tries. But I think its going to be more fun if you can play it without dieing so much because that can feel like banging your head against a wall.

However I have actually seen people play Souls games and not die that much even on their first playthroughs. Some people really are just good enough that they pick it up very quickly. But yeah some people just die, die, die over and over and I can understand that getting more tedious before it can get enjoyable.

What's usually happening there though is people are not playing patiently enough, and are trying to rush in and force their way through a tough spot. But then there's the question of does everyone want to play patiently. Well no, some people want to just blast their way through games.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:49 PM   #23
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Dark Souls 1 was literally my magical gaming moment. It was the first souls game for me, but it was the fact that I could approach it in a way that made it super easy, or dive straight into uber difficulty, right from the comfort of the very first bonfire.

The layout of the maps in that game were just stunning, and then I learned you could literally open up half the world without ever fighting a boss...

Plus the multiple ways you could approach the game. DaS1 can be wrecked without ever leveling up, at all. And oddly enough, it was easier to do that to an extent.

Fromsoft, nor anyone else, has ever succeeded (imo) in recreating such a perfect experience. From the tightness of the combat to the maps to the seemingly never ending shortcuts/hints and tools you were given to win...

That game is the reason everything else except Nioh, HZD and Ghost of Tsushima is just lackluster to me. It showed what a gaming experience can be...set the bar almost too high.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 02:13 PM   #24
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
DaS1 can be wrecked without ever leveling up, at all. And oddly enough, it was easier to do that to an extent.
My favorite DS1 run ever was when I did it at Soul level 1. Maybe even my favorite game playthrough ever overall. It was just an awesome experience, and amazing to think the game was so flexible that while be considered super challenging, could be beaten without leveling up at all.

Not to show off but here's me beating some of the bosses on that run, on first tries no less.

Its a testament to the fact once you know what you're doing, the game is actually fairly easy.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 02:26 PM   #25
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
My favorite DS1 run ever was when I did it at Soul level 1. Maybe even my favorite game playthrough ever overall. It was just an awesome experience, and amazing to think the game was so flexible that while be considered super challenging, could be beaten without leveling up at all.

Not to show off but here's me beating some of the bosses on that run, on first tries no less.

Its a testament to the fact once you know what you're doing, the game is actually fairly easy.
Memories That last statement is spot on. I had O&S and Artorias recorded, and not the slightest idea what I did with the videos....but yeah, never had another experience like that.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 02:30 PM   #26
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

There's only ever been one Souls boss that would constantly still trip me up even when I knew exactly what to do to beat him - Manus.

Oh that was a nasty boss fight design. I had to be in top form for the entire fight. One mistake and he would crush me.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 03:09 PM   #27
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It was similar in older games. There were older action adventure games like Story of Thor, or Alundra, etc on the megadrive and snes that had that same kind of challenge and exploration. Beating them without leveling up was challenging , but fair, fun and rewarding, just like the souls games.

It's been a long time since i played it, but i think Dark/Demon's Souls was a really great spiritual sequel to Severance: Blade of Darkness.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 04:04 PM   #28
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
Its a legitimate complaint, and its going to depend on the player. Some people do enjoy the feeling of this sort of trial and error, when you finally figure out how to get past a tough area after many tries. But I think its going to be more fun if you can play it without dieing so much because that can feel like banging your head against a wall.

However I have actually seen people play Souls games and not die that much even on their first playthroughs. Some people really are just good enough that they pick it up very quickly. But yeah some people just die, die, die over and over and I can understand that getting more tedious before it can get enjoyable.

What's usually happening there though is people are not playing patiently enough, and are trying to rush in and force their way through a tough spot. But then there's the question of does everyone want to play patiently. Well no, some people want to just blast their way through games.
I prefer games where I can make steady progress, that have a decent challenge but that aren't going to force me to spend 30+ minutes stuck in a spot just trying to figure out how to pass it. I don't enjoy games where I just charge through the story in 10 hours and I don't mind dying in games from time to time, but bashing my head against a wall until I finally break through is not my type of fun.

To each their own though.

EDIT: I think DS1 was fun because it was challenging but not too frustrating back when I had the patience for it/more time on my hands. Then I remember reading articles stating they made DS2 (and later DS3) intentionally more difficult and I think it went a bit overboard. I did like the way multiplayer was handled in DS1 though as I found it to be subtle, unique, and fun (if maddening at times).

~George Carlin

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Apr 21, 2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:10 AM   #29
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:43 AM   #30
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
There's only ever been one Souls boss that would constantly still trip me up even when I knew exactly what to do to beat him - Manus.

Oh that was a nasty boss fight design. I had to be in top form for the entire fight. One mistake and he would crush me.
I remember you posting about it. "The run of shame" I think is what you called it

That was one of the unique challenges of this game. Any boss could be easy to one player and maddeningly difficult to another. I found Manus fairly simple to beat at any level (with the necklace) but Kalameet on the other hand - I think I threw my controller over that one...more than once

I would easily drop $100 for a game if it could guarantee me that same experience all over again, I really would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
Only a Soulsborne lover would get it