Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

View Poll Results: I'm using MMC and a Custom Ati TV Scheduler will be
Cool! 10 83.33%
Useless 0 0%
Don't know/ Don't care 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:22 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jornack Hupkens
Radeon R100

Jornack Hupkens is still being judged by the masses

Default Beta Testers Needed - Custom Ati TV Scheduler

Hi all,

I read a few posts over here about ppl asking for a custom app. Well, I'm making one and I think I'll be ready to release a beta this weekend, maybe even sooner. I'm already abled to read and display channelnames and the actual events.

I named it Cats! (Custom Ati TV Scheduler)

I'm just gonna need some testers since I'm not abled to test every setup. I am running Windows XP Pro (Dutch version) SP1 with an AIW 8500DV + MMC7.7. So I don't even know if it will work with MMC 8.1 ( do hope so )

Features:
* Create events for Digital Video Recording
* Remove events for Digital Video Recording
* Replace events for Digital Video Recording
* Rename Channels

I'm only implementing manipulating events for Digital Video Recording. I just don't see the use of being able to play an audio cd at a certain time...

Requirements:
* AIW Card
* Ati MMC7.7
* Microsoft JVM

Features I'm thinking of:
* Setup Channel (tunes-to-station-, Brightnes, Color, Contrast, SAP, favorite list)
* ....dunno

So, you're also gonna need the latest JVM from Microsoft. And yes that means I'm coding in Java. I tried doing it in MS C++, but my C++ skills are a bit rusty, and it took me too long to learn MFC. I actualy already had the GUI working in C++, and was abled to read and display the channels, but it was just too much of a hassle to get the program to do what I want it to do So after a week of MFC learning, I decided that it was much easier to do it in MS J++. Java coders will think this is lame, and yes it is, but there's no need for platform independancy here.

[edit]
Although I'm coding in Java, I will release a zipfile including a cats.exe. So you won't have to use any JRE.

Just thought I would mention that
[/edit]

Caution :

Because of the risc of manipulating the windows registry I am not releasing a public beta! Believe you me, when I say I really fugged up my own registry because of a simple coding mistake (== random feature). So please do not try to obtain the beta, nor try to spread it when you're a tester. Doing so, and possibly messing up your registry bigtime, will be at your own risk!

Any volunteers are asked to reply by email ([email protected]) and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Anyone feature requests can be placed right here in this thread...(if any)
Woody 2.4b (133FSB @ 1.55v), Abit TH7-II RAID, 2x 256MB Dane-Elec (Samsung) RIMM [email protected], Chieftec Dragon AX-01SL-D, onboard sound instead of SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum, Hercules AIW 8500DV, Pioneer 106S, Plextor PX-W2410TA, 2x Maxtor D740X 40GB, Philips 109B, Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical

Last edited by Jornack Hupkens : Apr 22, 2003 at 05:25 AM.
Jornack Hupkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 07:48 AM   #2
gtrz
Rage3D Veteran

gtrz is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Automatic comercial pause/skip!Heee hee..

I'd beta test if I had 2 comp. but unfortunately I can't..
gtrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:03 AM   #3
jawgee
Radeon R420

jawgee is still being judged by the masses

Jornack, I applaud your motivation in trying to create a custom MMC plugin (sort of), but what are you going to be able to offer us over what the scheduler in MMC 8.1 can offer? When I first saw the title of this post, I thought "Yeah! Someone's gonna create a TiVo style EPG/scheduler for MMC! Woohoo!!". But, according to your own vague descriptions, that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not trying to trash on you, 'cause I really don't know what you are offering.

As far as just alternative scheduler's go, have you looked at the UltimateGuide Scheduler for ATi? Also, avekevin from this fourm, has been very busy contructing his own plugin to make MMC & myHTPC compatible with each other. It includes intelligent scheduling along with the other MMC features. I also think that avekevin mentioned that MMC 8.1 handles the registry much differently than previous MMCs, so there's a warning for you. Take a look at this post here:

http://www.myhtpc.net/forum/viewtopi...755&highlight=

Maybe these apps contain features that you already planned on including in your app? I dunno...

For MMC 8.1 I'd like to see the following features implemented into the scheduler/EPG (I really feel they go hand in hand):

- intelligent recording conflict resolution
- a EPG that can be viewed from an analog TV from my couch that's about 10ft away
- automatic updating of EPG (rather than having to manually download the listings like in Guide+)
- intelligent season pass feature like in TiVo (ex. I want to record all first run episodes of The Simpsons on all channels at all times, skipping the reruns)
- ability to be controlled via the Remote Wonder (or any other remote, I suppose)
- ability to add in buffer times at the beginning & end of recordings (recording back to back programs with buffers should be handled intelligently by the conflict resolution logic)

I'm sure I'm missing a few other things, but that's basically it. So, take the TiVo's logic & GUI, spruce it up, & incorporate it into MMC - that's all you gotta do!! Simple enough, right??

Thanks,
jawgee
jawgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:42 AM   #4
Jornack Hupkens
Radeon R100

well, all I'm working on is a stanalone program taht acts as a simple interface for creating/editing events in MMC7.7.
Now every time I want to schedule an event, I have to fire up Ati TV, press ALT+S and then choose the right tab. Why the h*ll didn't they (Ati) make a seperate program for that?

I just want to take that Schedule Tab into a standalone program, so I don't have to run Ati TV to add such an event.

The reason I'm making this for MMC7.7, is that 8.1 won't run on my current setup ;(

Anyway, if there's nobody that needs such a program, I guess I just won't release it then
Woody 2.4b (133FSB @ 1.55v), Abit TH7-II RAID, 2x 256MB Dane-Elec (Samsung) RIMM [email protected], Chieftec Dragon AX-01SL-D, onboard sound instead of SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum, Hercules AIW 8500DV, Pioneer 106S, Plextor PX-W2410TA, 2x Maxtor D740X 40GB, Philips 109B, Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:19 AM   #5
jawgee
Radeon R420

jawgee is still being judged by the masses

Well, even though I'm not totally intersted in your app, as you can tell from the results of your poll, other people are definitely interested in it. Give it a shot & let us know of your progress.

Thanks,
jawgee
jawgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 01:44 AM   #6
Jornack Hupkens
Radeon R100

dont' worry, I will

I've come up with antoher feature: importing channels (station + names + frequency) from a file

I'm doing a lot of reinstalling to keep my system clean & speedy. and I really hate setting up those channels

Last edited by Jornack Hupkens : Apr 25, 2003 at 01:51 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:41 PM   #7
Nyarlathotep
Radeon R300

Nyarlathotep is still being judged by the masses

Well, both those features look interesting to me. Please make it for 8.1 too (cause that's what I'm using )
Old Apr 29, 2003, 01:24 AM   #8
Jornack Hupkens
Radeon R100

yeah I'm going to try to get MMC8.1 to run on my machine this weekend. Well, it runs, but crashes after a while

cheers