Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 13, 2021, 03:30 AM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
What’s with the 1% lows. I never had this problem on my 5900x/3090. Everything seems to be running fine.
In older terms, it just means the mins basically. Any modern CPU runs well enough, though. I was only saying the mins are great on this, which is when you most notice CPU limitations. Hence, upgrade is not a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
He shows smoothness and lows better on 12600k ...

Yes, better than 5600x. Thanks for the video.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 06:06 AM   #272
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
Can't decide what board for 12700kf. I want ddr4, Intel lan and sub 260$ only thing I'm seeing is MSI pro z690. Anything else?
ASUS PRIME, TUF
Gigabyte Aorus Elite (wouldn't touch Gigabyte mobos with a 10 foot pole tho)

The PRIME boards were pretty awesome budget boards on X299 - not sure how they fair on the mainstream platform. Might be worth checking out.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Nov 13, 2021 at 07:25 AM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2021, 08:51 PM   #273
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

My G.Skill RAM just committed suicide today - causing PC shutdown even at XMP w/ 1.55vDIMM.

Ugh .. might hop on the ADL train
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 13, 2021, 09:05 PM   #274
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
My G.Skill RAM just committed suicide today - causing PC shutdown even at XMP w/ 1.55vDIMM.

Ugh .. might hop on the ADL train
What is default voltage and what were you running when it died? Guessing you'll go with DDR5?
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:12 PM   #275
Nunz
RIP Roxen

It's a GSkill [email protected] 2x16GB kit. It's ran about two full years at 1.55v VDIMM @ 4266CL17 with very tight secondary and tertiary timings. I've learned everything I know about memory OCing on this kit. I'm assuming it was the voltage that killed it as the sticks run fairly cool, especially since it's a 4-slot mobo so they have space.

I ended up just ordering a set of GSkill Royal [email protected] 10-layer PCB, B-Die, and dual-rank. Not super happy about paying $289 for DDR4 this late in the game, but it'll hold me over until Intel releases the next-gen HEDT platform.

My chips IMC could technically still be the culprit, but I doubt it. I ran 1.18v VCCIO/SA the entire time. My chip is a mediocre clocker but a very strong IMC. We'll find out once I grab the new kit. This all started with a very random CPU Cache L0 Error in Hell Let Loose and some very random instability in Windows and other apps. I'm hoping it's just the RAM and the IMC is fine. If not, I'll probably not have a PC for a bit as I'm leaving for 3months at the end of this month. The PS5 will hold me over

Currently I can only run JEDEC 2133. If I run XMP even at 1.55v, my whole PC will shut down the second I start HCI MemTestPro
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:23 PM   #276
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

1.55 is a shite ton of voltage. Not sure why your board didn’t fry itself either.
I know limits and stuff but really I think you were pushing the memory way too hard.

Hopefully the 4000 kit lasts.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:28 PM   #277
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Lots of people run 1.55v. I think the difference is that I was using 1.55v on a budget set of GSkill RipJaws which are 8-layer PCB and not meant to daily that voltage. The GSkill Royals are 10-layer and handle 1.55v no problem - which is why they have tons of kits at 1.55v for XMP. The board is fine - The ACE is built for memory OCing and handles high voltage no problem. This is why you buy good components - funny enough, the RAM was probably the biggest budget piece I had aside from my NVME drive.

I enjoy finding the limits. Memory OCing is such a pain in the ass, but so rewarding. This kit sacrificed itself for the greater good .. maybe I can finally break 4400+ with this Royal kit. I will keep it at 1.48-1.5v max for 24/7, though. The other issue with 1.55v is, even with intake air blowing on them, is that they do generate decent heat. The Ripjaw heatsink is alright - hoping the Royal heatsink is better .. also hope they have temperature sensors as my RipJaws didn't.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:37 PM   #278
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Good stuff. Keep us posted. Maybe next time I will also splurge for memory. With AMD I didn’t do it as I had a budget board and also I had thought if I get a good chip I may delve into a better kit. Glad I didn’t go all in since my CPU is a frickin’ dud.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 03:15 AM   #279
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

More ADL intimacy ..... Anomalies and unique behaviours

Old Nov 14, 2021, 09:42 AM   #280
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Windows 10 & Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake Performance Review - E-Cores Causing Any Trouble?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...0-performance/
Old Nov 14, 2021, 01:14 PM   #281
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyfO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Went with the TUF Gaming Z690-Plus and the 12700KF. Keeping Gskill DDR4 3200 CAS 14 4x8GB sticks. Only a 120 EK AIO to cool it.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 02:09 PM   #282
Nunz
RIP Roxen

120 AIO? Uhh.. I highly suggest upgrading. That's a lot of wattage for very little thermal dissipation. If you can't fit a bigger AIO, then a Noctua D15 air-cooler would be a better choice.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 06:46 PM   #283
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyfO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is it going to be a lot worse than a 5800X? Just wanna game, not planning on crunching numbers 24/7.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 08:38 PM   #284
KAC

Quote:
Is it going to be a lot worse than a 5800X? Just wanna game, not planning on crunching numbers 24/7.
Don’t think anything comes close to AMD thermals.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 08:45 PM   #285
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Might be OK for gaming .. I don't know anyone using a 12700K with a 120mm AIO.

ADL is very efficient in its power use in gaming, more so than Ryzen from what I've seen. They tend to suck up those big wattage numbers during encoding or workstation workloads.

Only one way to find out if it'll work or not.. send it
Old Nov 14, 2021, 09:33 PM   #286
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bought mine on release day. 12900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, and 32GB DDR5 4800.
Intel Core i7 12900KS - Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra - 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD - Two 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe SSDs in 16TB RAID-0 - Corsair Crystal 465X case - NZXT Kraken X73 cooler - Corsair ML & QL fans - Corsair AX1600i power supply - Razer BlackWidow V3 Pro keyboard - Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse - 77" LG G1 OLED display - Denon AVR-X3500H receiver - Klipsch 5.2.2 Reference Premiere speakers
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:16 PM   #287
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
Bought mine on release day. 12900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, and 32GB DDR5 4800.
That's the stuff. Why only 4800 ram though?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:30 AM   #288
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Might be OK for gaming .. I don't know anyone using a 12700K with a 120mm AIO.

ADL is very efficient in its power use in gaming, more so than Ryzen from what I've seen. They tend to suck up those big wattage numbers during encoding or workstation workloads.

Only one way to find out if it'll work or not.. send it

C'mon Nunz buy an ADL platform for yourself.You want one so much...
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:59 AM   #289
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
C'mon Nunz buy an ADL platform for yourself.You want one so much...
I want the HEDT platform. Not really interested in the gimped mainstream stuff anymore.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:44 AM   #290
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

FWIW your sticks are probably under warranty if you want to send them in for RMA.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:05 PM   #291
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
FWIW your sticks are probably under warranty if you want to send them in for RMA.
Yep, going through that process now. I'll probably sell them for cheap on here if anyone is interesting. 3200CL15. I'll likely test them as well just to see what the replacement pair is capable of.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:29 PM   #292
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
How do you like it? I take it the 4800 is just a place holder until something better is available.

How is cooling? And CPU-z bench?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:25 PM   #293
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
That's the stuff. Why only 4800 ram though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
How do you like it? I take it the 4800 is just a place holder until something better is available.

How is cooling? And CPU-z bench?
That's all Micro Center had. Feel lucky enough to be able to buy any DDR5. There aren't any available right now. Bought two 16GB kits (4 x 8GB). Tweaked the primary and secondary timings. Will be getting 6000+ when available.

Running 5.2GHz all PCore and 5.3GHz on two PCore. 3.9GHz ECore and 3.7GHz L3/Uncore. Stable so far after running tests all day.

Intel Core i7 12900KS - Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra - 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD - Two 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe SSDs in 16TB RAID-0 - Corsair Crystal 465X case - NZXT Kraken X73 cooler - Corsair ML & QL fans - Corsair AX1600i power supply - Razer BlackWidow V3 Pro keyboard - Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse - 77" LG G1 OLED display - Denon AVR-X3500H receiver - Klipsch 5.2.2 Reference Premiere speakers
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2021, 07:07 AM   #294
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Very nice Adam, congrats.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:14 AM   #295
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I picked up a 12900k and snagged the last Asus Z690 Maxipad Hero the other day. No idea when I'm going to score some good ddr5 around here. Also looking to pickup a Ryujin II 360 aio. Doesn't seem to have hit the streets here yet either. Not holding my breath with all of the supply chain chaos happening out west...
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2021, 01:06 PM   #296
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i5-1...5-in-perf-per/

Quote:
New benchmarks of Intel's Core i5-12400 Alder Lake CPU have leaked out in PugetBench that show great performance per dollar against the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X.

Intel Core i5-12400 Alder Lake CPU Leaked Benchmarks Show That It Might Be The Budget PC King, As Fast As The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Under $200 US
The Intel Core i5-12400 is going to be the most entry-level chip within the Alder Lake Core i5 CPU segment. It will rock 6 cores, 12 threads and rely only on Golden Cove (P-Cores).
Awesome that should drive down amd prices a bit.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2021, 02:08 PM   #297
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I want the HEDT platform. Not really interested in the gimped mainstream stuff anymore.
https://twitter.com/wccftech/status/1460517887962058756

Quote:
Wccftech Retweeted
Wccftech
@wccftech
Intel Sapphire Rapids-X HEDT & Raptor Lake Mainstream Desktop CPU Platforms Rumored To Launch In Q3 2022 http://dlvr.it/SCZv7v
Id have thought in the spring but its not that far away...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2021, 08:34 PM   #298
KAC

Yes only a year away.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 04:49 AM   #299
Nunz
RIP Roxen

3 quarters isn't too bad. Not sure I'll be able to wait that long, though.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:51 AM   #300
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Grabbed a 12700K and ASUS Z690 TUF as a stop-gap until HEDT. New RAM did not fix my 10900K issues, so I'm RMAing the chip and the board. I'll sell them when I get back from deployment.

It was cheaper to buy a 12700K and TUF over a new 10900K and MSI Z490 ACE. Go figure. They had some ASUS Formula's there, but they have no DDR5 so that wouldn't have worked for me.

No high-end boards for DDR4 so grabbed the best I could at Microcenter. We'll see how it goes tonight .. hoping things line-up similarly so I don't have to drain my loop lol