Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 10, 2021, 08:53 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Not everyone is going to spend hours tuning their memory kits. Stock comparisons are important as well. And for 99.9% of the people still relevant. If you are looking for tuned comparisons forums are probably the better place to be at.

However, I did try Ryzen tuning and it was horse poop from a getting extra performance in gaming perspective. This was after spending a ton of time on forums and getting help from people who were tuning their CPU and memory. However, for gaming all of that hours of effort were for naught. Maybe Intel platform is better suited to this kind of activity.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2021, 08:59 PM   #242
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Intel is definitely the OCer platform, that's for sure. Ryzen is very good for the "set it and forget it" or the XMP crowd. There is far too much performance left on the table to not spend the time tweaking your memory and CPU on Intel - significant gains. Alderlake, and DDR5 as well, are showing tremendous gains.

Stock comparisons are useful, but what the **** are you using DDR4 kits that are 3600/16-20-20 cas latencies? There are $100 sets that have better freq/timings than that. If you use garbage RAM, you hamstring the platform and it's increasingly difficult to make any useful comparisons.

Getting decent binned DDR4 is not that expensive anymore, and hasn't been for some time. The numbers get skewed this way.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2021, 09:09 PM   #243
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I am using 16-19-19-39 kits myself. The CL14 were quite expensive at that time (almost 300$ a set when I got these for about 150$).

Not sure about current prices but I think they are still high for 3600 CL14.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:36 PM   #244
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:10 AM   #245
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I am using 16-19-19-39 kits myself. The CL14 were quite expensive at that time (almost 300$ a set when I got these for about 150$).

$229 on newegg.
andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:46 AM   #246
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I'm pretty sure W1zzard knows what he's talking about. He's the creator of GPU-Z and many other utilities.

It's not an article about oc and tuning, just plug and play comparisons for the most part.
It's a weird and largely pointless article in my opinion. Even if he's not overclocking the memory, why didn't he have a single set of sticks that was a high quality bin?

From the timings the sticks were either all Hynix CJR or terribly binned b-die (the distinction makes no difference if you don't manually set the TRFC lower on b-die).

It looks to me like DDR4 3200 CL14-14-14 or 3600 CL-16-16-16 would easily match or exceed the DDR5 result, even without manual tuning.

Quote:

Considering the expense of DDR5, it doesn't make sense to not also include a good DDR4 kit, and 3200 CL14 isn't even that expensive.

Last edited by Nagorak : Nov 12, 2021 at 05:46 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:50 AM   #247
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Intel is definitely the OCer platform, that's for sure. Ryzen is very good for the "set it and forget it" or the XMP crowd. There is far too much performance left on the table to not spend the time tweaking your memory and CPU on Intel - significant gains. Alderlake, and DDR5 as well, are showing tremendous gains.
To be fair, probably 99% of people who buy Intel processors just set XMP. Memory overclocking is still a rare pursuit.

Ryzen also benefits massively from manual tuning. The frequency cap is lower, but tightening the subtimings still makes a big difference.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 01:15 AM   #248
KAC

So any gay boning? Or just taking a dump on the platform?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 03:06 AM   #249
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Raptor lake (the ADL refresh) and AM5 platform and Ryzen 3d cache will be released next year.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 03:08 AM   #250
KAC

Yes I am quite familiar with what’s coming next year.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 04:37 AM   #251
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yes I am quite familiar with what’s coming next year.
If one wants to learn more troubleshooting and like to beta test i feel the ADL is a nice oportunity for this.The ryzen 1700 was a funky ride.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 06:59 AM   #252
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
No Rager that I know of has upgraded to AL
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 08:12 AM   #253
KAC

Surprised no one bought it yet. It seems wildly available.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 08:16 AM   #254
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I think the DDR5 is the issue. Either not available and when it is its way overpriced.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 09:43 AM   #255
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The good chips of DDR5 are extremely hard to come by, and I can't find the ASUS Z690 APEX anywhere .. otherwise I'd have it. I seen the APEX was in-stock on Newegg, but I'm kinda waiting to see if my Microcenter will stock it.

I'm probably going to wait for the HEDT / X299 successor at this point. I leave for three months soon and it doesn't make much sense to upgrade everything to then have it sit not being used .. lol
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 12, 2021, 09:55 AM   #256
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
The good chips of DDR5 are extremely hard to come by, and I can't find the ASUS Z690 APEX anywhere .. otherwise I'd have it. I seen the APEX was in-stock on Newegg, but I'm kinda waiting to see if my Microcenter will stock it.

I'm probably going to wait for the HEDT / X299 successor at this point. I leave for three months soon and it doesn't make much sense to upgrade everything to then have it sit not being used .. lol
Agreed, let the market settle and when you get back see how things are.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:08 AM   #257
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status...54494763208705

Quote:
It's getting serious now. Forget about potato RAM OC. ��Real men have real Giga Hurts. ��

[email protected], DDR4-4000 C16. Gear 1 Mode + optimized timings.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:23 AM   #258
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Good copy scores .. his latency still seems high even for Gear 1. Should be able to run the ram at CR1 .. should be easy at only 4000CL16.

he said @ 5.5Ghz but it's really 55x2 and looks like 53x8 .. oh lord
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:29 AM   #259
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

If they have released the B660 also and the 12600 non k i may have bite..I don't like to pay 230 euro for an entry level Z690.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:37 AM   #260
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

z690 gives you the option of saving money on buying smaller and cheaper nvme drives since it has more bandwidth for that.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2021, 01:01 PM   #261
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Microcenter already cut $50 off the 12700K down to $399. Savages!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 02:48 PM   #262
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Microcenter already cut $50 off the 12700K down to $399. Savages!
Hard to beat them for CPU/Mobo pricing. Add 5% off if you use their CC.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 03:27 PM   #263
Nunz
RIP Roxen

They have some insanely good pricing on 10th and 11th gen right now. Really good time to buy a CPU right now .. even the 5000 series are at least close to what they should have been to begin with.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 03:32 PM   #264
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
They have some insanely good pricing on 10th and 11th gen right now. Really good time to buy a CPU right now .. even the 5000 series are at least close to what they should have been to begin with.
Yeah, did you see the price of the 5800? Very nice.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 03:44 PM   #265
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yeah, did you see the price of the 5800? Very nice.
Should have been the price to begin with, imo.

The 12700K @ 399 is really an incredible deal, though. Slap it with some good DDR4 or carry over your old B-Die sticks, and it's a very powerful mid-high build.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 04:30 PM   #266
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyfO Che -USA- can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Can't decide what board for 12700kf. I want ddr4, Intel lan and sub 260$ only thing I'm seeing is MSI pro z690. Anything else?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 07:53 PM   #267
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Unify looks good ^

Quote:
I like it but DDR5 is an issue and pretty happy with current build. 1% lows are very good on this rig.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:58 PM   #268
KAC

What’s with the 1% lows. I never had this problem on my 5900x/3090. Everything seems to be running fine.

I do have it from time to time on my 10700 but that is because it is bone stock and has a 3070 which I max out on every game so of course it starts to die at times.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:36 PM   #269
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

He shows smoothness and lows better on 12600k ...

Old Nov 13, 2021, 01:42 AM   #270
KAC

Well he can suck it.

Last edited by acroig : Nov 13, 2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Needless profanity