Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Processor RDNA 3 Rumor Discussion

My thoughts:
  1. 3 6nm or 5nm compute dies
  2. 1 7nm I/O die
  3. 384mb/256mb/128 Infinity Cache pools
  4. 384bit or 256 bit memory bus
  5. Chiplets and memory will be using AMD's infinity fabric technology
  6. I/O die could also have the video processing hardware, ROP's and Ray accelerators
  7. Compute dies will be mostly shaders

This chiplet setup is primed and ready for a FPGA take over in due time from an outsiders perspective looking in. Not just for RDNA but Zen as well. The Xilinks purchase is looking pretty genius.

Theoretically you could see the 7800, 7700 and 7600 all come out at the same time since they will be using the same compute chip. Smaller less complex chips that are can be scaled by mere count rather than complexity or turning off sections of the chip will have dramatic impacts on yields, time to market, power, and price.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

this will be AMD going back to HBM as well. calling it now. Prices for HBM have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in the last 2 years.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:10 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD is expecting the next-gen RDNA 3 GPUs scheduled for 2021 to deliver 50% improved performance-per-watt over the new RX 6000 series
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-is....503412.0.html

Quote:
AMD promises RDNA 3 GPUs will be as big a leap forward as Big Navi
https://technosports.co.in/2020/08/1...like-zen-cpus/

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:50 PM   #4
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

One thing NAAF didnt mention is that one of the more consistent rumors about navi3 is that the geometry engine is overhauled and much stronger than navi2. They want to do away with what has been apparently been a bit of a weak spot on amd gpus.

So not just an obviously bigger IF cache and more shaders and RT units but some significant architectural changes. I hope they match nvidia nvenc.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 05:21 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I hope they don't gimp the memory bandwidth so I can actually consider buying one. Come on baby, give us the goods.

If this progresses as rapidly as Ryzen did, then either RDNA3 or 4 will be the GPUs to buy. The only thing different, is that I don't see NV laying over and being lazy. The rumor of them moving back to TSMC means I expect a massive leap over Ampere..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:29 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
This chiplet setup is primed and ready for a FPGA take over in due time from an outsiders perspective looking in. Not just for RDNA but Zen as well. The Xilinks purchase is looking pretty genius.
What does this mean?

Typically you can't replace perf/w and outright performance sensitive ASICs with FPGAs.

There are no FPGAs running 5GHz CPU cores, or 3GHZ GPU cores.

This is why I don't comprehend the 'FPGA take over' comment.

What does FPGA take over mean, and why does a chiplet strategy prime it?

IMO the Xilinx acquisition is only for more datacenter and networking market share opportunities.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:32 AM   #7
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Happy new year Jim! Hope you and fam are doing well.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:54 AM   #8
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
What does this mean?

Typically you can't replace perf/w and outright performance sensitive ASICs with FPGAs.

IMO the Xilinx acquisition is only for more datacenter and networking market share opportunities.

Yea the Xilinx thing was for IP Id read and the upcoming 3d chip stacking which xilinx has some knowhow for.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:04 AM   #9
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Happy new year Jim! Hope you and fam are doing well.

Nice to know he still reads the forum and can still slam the hammer down on nonsense when it appears.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 02:40 PM   #10
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
What does this mean?

This is what financial analyst's think of the deal.

- AMD is paying 74 times XLNX earnings, based on by far XLNX's highest earnings in the last five years.
- AMD are paying a 25% premium on the Xilinx current stock value.
- The FPGA market is not a big growth area anyway. Their CAGR is 5.9% over the last five years.
- XLNX's revenue looks lackluster.
- Neither company generates enough free cash flow to take on competitors Intel or Nvidia long term.
- AMD's rocket ship stock price has a CAGR of 95% over the last five years.

When Lisa Su announced it all she talked about was opportunities in datacentre, NICS and 5G. Nothing whatsoever to do with CPU's and GPU's. She did mention $300m synergies in the first year through cost duplication (getting rid of staff) which is nothing new.

Happy New Year Caveman nice to see you posting again.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 02:43 PM   #11
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post

Nice to know he still reads the forum and can still slam the hammer down on nonsense when it appears.
, I miss him slamming the hammer.

yoz
Old Dec 30, 2020, 04:50 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Yea the Xilinx thing was for IP Id read and the upcoming 3d chip stacking which xilinx has some knowhow for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post

- AMD is paying 74 times XLNX earnings, based on by far XLNX's highest earnings in the last five years.
- The FPGA market is not a big growth area anyway. Their CAGR is 5.9% over the last five years.
- Neither company generates enough free cash flow to take on competitors Intel or Nvidia long term.

When Lisa Su announced it all she talked about was opportunities in datacentre, NICS and 5G. Nothing whatsoever to do with CPU's and GPU's. She did mention $300m synergies in the first year through cost duplication (getting rid of staff) which is nothing new.

I think Xilinx portfolio is strong by itself for the datacenter and enterprise networking (5G/RAN, Datacenter networking, DPU, etc.). They have strong market share and good IP. Xilinx products have a lot of synergies for market attach with AMD datacenter and enterprise platforms, plus future products bringing the IP roadmaps together.

FPGAs are in strong demand right now for lots of different applications using AI, as the models change 2x -3x faster than ASICs can be designed and produced. As the model evolution calms down domain-specific hardware (or workload-focused, at least) will be more prevalent, and will need to be more integrated than chips in sockets either side of a PCIe or similar bus; integration will have to happen both in-package, and in-SoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post

Quote:
, I miss him slamming the hammer.
Well I wasn't trying to club anyone, just asking cos I didn't get the connection between chiplets and FPGAs
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 06:23 PM   #13
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:

My favorite person with the world's most amount of anxiety for video cards just one month ago was saying he never heard of Xilinks, now he is a market expert on the deal.

AMD did not buy Xilinks 35 billion for the short term in Data Center or 5G networking. FGPA on it's own will never pay off the deal if that was their goal. Nor did they buy them for 3D stacking chips. There is a reason why the two x86 giants bought the biggest FPGA companies.

Moores Law is dying and x86 needs a friend. The idea of offloading to an FPGA is not new, and there are tons of papers on this. FPGA's do a lot of things better than the GPU and CPU from a performance standpoint as well as a power standpoint. This is not to say they are going to replace them, but this about reinforcing them. Actually... I could probably see CDNA being an mostly an FPGA in 5 years or less. You are going to see FPGA logic integrated one way or another. Whether it's on fabric or in the logic itself.

Quote:
Well I wasn't trying to club anyone, just asking cos I didn't get the connection between chiplets and FPGAs
I did not take offense, not sure what they are talking about. Chiplets would make it easier to transition task and engines to a custom FPGA without committing your entire architecture to it. At least in my mind. An FPGA for instance can do the ray tracing, handle complex AI, the I/O, as well as the video encoding and decoding and do it more efficiently. If RDNA 3 is chiplet with a decoupled controller die, then things would be set and primed for integration in future RDNA architecture.

reply in the Xlinks thread if you would like. : )
I'll share a cool link.
LG 43UD79-B

Last edited by SuperGeil : Dec 30, 2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 09:29 AM   #14
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:12 AM   #15
pax
Rage3D Spammer

https://wccftech.com/amd-files-mcm-b...o-radeon-gpus/

Quote:
AMD has filed a patent for something that everyone knew would eventually happen: an MCM GPU Chiplet design. Spotted by LaFriteDavid over at Twitter and published on Freepatents.com, the document shows how AMD plans to build a GPU chiplet graphics card that is eerily reminiscent of its MCM based CPU designs. With NVIDIA working on its own MCM design with Hopper architecture, it's about time that we left monolithic GPU designs in the past and enable truly exponential performance growth.

The patent points out that one of the reasons why MCM GPUs have not been attempted in the past is due to the high latency between chiplets, programming models and it being harder to implement parallelism. AMD's patent attempts to solve all these problems by using an on-package interconnect it calls the high bandwidth passive crosslink. This would enable each GPU chiplet to communicate with the CPU directly as well as other chiplets via the passive crosslink. Each GPU would also feature its own cache. This design appears to suggest that each GPU chiplet will be a GPU in its own right and fully addressable by the operating system.

Not sure if this will be navi3 or more likely later but its interesting nonetheless.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:08 PM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
https://wccftech.com/amd-files-mcm-b...o-radeon-gpus/

Not sure if this will be navi3 or more likely later but its interesting nonetheless.
more than likely and in 10 to 12 months

I'm getting more and more reasons to wait till next time every day
Old Jan 2, 2021, 02:38 PM   #17
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
more than likely and in 10 to 12 months

I'm getting more and more reasons to wait till next time every day
Stop it Billy, looks like this isnt happening for years, looks like next new chip for both NV and AMD are still old design.

MCM design for its GPUs after RDNA3

Last edited by Nascar24 : Jan 2, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2021, 03:51 PM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Stop it Billy, looks like this isnt happening for years, looks like next new chip for both NV and AMD are still old design.

MCM design for its GPUs after RDNA3
keep laughing fuzzball

Quote:
AMD patent points to new MCM GPU design for RDNA3
https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-p...let-technology

if RDNA 3 is MCM or not RDNA 3 will be out this year and RDNA 4 will be MCM and out next year

the sand is running out of that high wattage hourglass you got fast
Old Jan 2, 2021, 04:35 PM   #19
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
keep laughing fuzzball

if RDNA 3 is MCM or not RDNA 3 will be out this year and RDNA 4 will be MCM and out next year

After the jacket changed things up I believe he knows more then us and AMD is years out as well with MCM.

Dont know what to tell ya Billy, I'm happy with my 3080!

Last edited by Nascar24 : Jan 2, 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 05:04 PM   #20
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
After the jacket changed things up I believe he knows more then us and AMD is years out as well with MCM.

Dont know what to tell ya Billy, I'm happy with my 3080!
AMD is not really MCM it's more like Ryzen

Quote:
AMD patents a chiplet GPU design quite unlike Nvidia and Intel's
Quote:
In the new patent dated December 31, AMD outlines a chiplet design fashioned to mimic a monolithic design as closely as possible. Their hypothetical model uses two chiplets connected by a high-speed inactive interposer called a crosslink.

A crosslink connection sits between the L2 cache and L3 cache on the memory hierarchy. Everything beneath it, such as the cores and L1 cache and L2 cache, are aware of their separation from the other chiplet. Everything above, including the L3 cache and GDDR memory, are shared between the chiplets.

This design is beneficial because it is conventional. AMD claims that compute units can access low-level cache on other chiplets almost as fast as they can access local low-level cache. Should that prove true, software won't need updating.

https://www.techspot.com/news/88138-...dia-intel.html

the jacket is at a disadvantage at this point as he can't violate all those Ryzen chiplet & crosslink patents AMD has
Old Jan 2, 2021, 05:22 PM   #21
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

There are other ways to do it, really doubt patents will be a barrier for either side. That said... I see this more for cloud, server and data crunching than I do gaming from either side.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2021, 09:35 PM   #22
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

I would be a little surprised if Nvidia has a chiplet design in the pipeline for commercial consumer use to be used in a GUI environment. Hopper is a data center card (I assume) and Lovelace is the commercial card. The problems posed by GPU chiplets are non-issues when it comes to the data center market, which is why Hopper being a chiplet does not need to worry about latency or communication with the CPU. Interesting to note, nonetheless, Hopper is delayed.

A lot of talk about ''Advanced'' node. I think this is being given too much credence for nothing. I think it's just an open-ended question of it could be 6nm, or it could be 5nm.

The way the patent reads is that there will be a single master GPU that communicates to the CPU. This to me suggest that there will be no I/O die. And the logic will and should be the same between the master GPU and slave GPUs. Basically, some redundancy. Not actually a bad thing since there will only be one chip to worry about manufacturing. Now I'm not too sure how each GPU would talk to the Infinity Cache....
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:50 AM   #23
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
keep laughing fuzzball

Maybe this might enlighten you regarding AMD GPU's in 2021. https://www.techspot.com/news/88121-...2021-meet.html

That doesn't even include M$ and Zen 3. RDNA 3 in 2021 in sufficient numbers is a huge ask and one AMD probably won't be able to do.

Another rumour doing the rounds is the 6800/6900XT are just halo products to prove AMD can compete in the enthusiast segment. They never had any intention of producing large numbers so mass production will be centered on 6700/XT which is where the volume and money is. Sounds plausible as why would they produce load of enthusiast cards into a market where they have zero mark share. Just think about it.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:53 PM   #24
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Maybe this might enlighten you regarding AMD GPU's in 2021. https://www.techspot.com/news/88121-...2021-meet.html

That doesn't even include M$ and Zen 3. RDNA 3 in 2021 in sufficient numbers is a huge ask and one AMD probably won't be able to do.

Another rumour doing the rounds is the 6800/6900XT are just halo products to prove AMD can compete in the enthusiast segment. They never had any intention of producing large numbers so mass production will be centered on 6700/XT which is where the volume and money is. Sounds plausible as why would they produce load of enthusiast cards into a market where they have zero mark share. Just think about it.

if they are going to make 16.8 million to 18 million PS5 consoles in 2021
plus near the same xbox's and then their CPU's

they sure won't have the capacity to do mass production on a even bigger seller like a 6700/XT
plus a 6700/XT is most likely a failed 6800/6900XT chip cut down

RDNA 2 maybe a stepping stone to RDNA 3 chiplets and they may never make a lot of any RDNA 2 for lack on TSMC production
and RDNA 2 is the biggest of their chips and most likely with the lowest yields so the logical one to cut

but by Q4 the game consoles sales will be over for the most part and or slowed a lot

and chiplets are easer to make and have better yields
so i still think they will hit or be very close to the RDNA 3 roadmap in 2021

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 3, 2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 01:48 PM   #25
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Billy I am putting on the old tin foil hat with all your assumptions! Your going off the deep end. I also believe with 80 percent certainty that RDNA3 is not going to be the chiplet or whatever you want to call it design.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 03:38 PM   #26
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Billy I am putting on the old tin foil hat with all your assumptions! Your going off the deep end. I also believe with 80 percent certainty that RDNA3 is not going to be the chiplet or whatever you want to call it design.
bitcoin 33,640.00 United States Dollar

not going to see a 3080 all year now
Old Jan 3, 2021, 03:48 PM   #27
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
bitcoin 33,640.00 United States Dollar

not going to see a 3080 all year now
Apparently you ride NV harder than AMD even though you believe AMD is focusing more on consoles than RDNA2, which means they aren't even making many cards.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2021, 04:17 PM   #28
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Apparently you ride NV harder than AMD even though you believe AMD is focusing more on consoles than RDNA2, which means they aren't even making many cards.
NV always deserves it

but RDNA2 is crap at mining compared to the 3080

the 5700 xt is better for mining than a 6800 xt or 6900 xt from what i have read so far

and i'm not happy with AMD but they made the consoles deal 2+ years ago and no one could predict last year

and it was NV's fault they played games with TSMC and lost

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 3, 2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 05:16 PM   #29
acroig
Troll SMod

If Samsung can get their chit together nV stands in a better position to churn out volume by end of Q1 21. TSMC has a better node but they seem to be at capacity.

yoz
Old Jan 3, 2021, 05:59 PM   #30
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
If Samsung can get their chit together nV stands in a better position to churn out volume by end of Q1 21. TSMC has a better node but they seem to be at capacity.
sorry ampere would have been killer on TSMC lower watts and higher OC
and no mater what it won't on Samsung ever .

and with crapcoin at 33k+ and rising and it doing well mining Samsung will never make enough now