Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Default Are power supply quality a big deal now?

I'm planning on building the following:

8800GTS
Core 2 Duo
2 gigs of DDR2
5 harddrives

The key is, what sort of powersupply would be healthy for that system?

I'm seeing 350 watts for 20 bucks and 500 watts for 100. Do I need an expensive power supply to make sure my computer doesn't get damaged? What happens if I use a cheap power supply.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:08 AM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Powersupply quality has always been a big deal. It provides the life juice for every single piece of hardware in your system.

Don't ever, ever, ever buy an al-cheapo crap power supply just to "get by".

Cheap power supplies can mean lower ratings then advertised, unstable voltages, low effiencies, etc...

Also, you will want larger than a 500W PSU for that setup. A NICE 500W will probably do as I'm running a 550W(Antec TruPower2.0) on mine...but it's the PSU I've been using and honestly I don't feel comfortable with it.

I'll be upgrading soon to this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153043

I'm still looking into them and will probably change my mind again, but I'm an SLI fan so I'm just looking for the best power supply to handle dual 8800GTX's and a Core2Duo.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:14 AM   #3
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

well, back when I bought my comp, everyone just said meh 350watts is good enough. Nobody actually cared much about power supply.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:25 AM   #4
Dr Gonzo
The Evil Creampuff

Dr Gonzo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Powersupply quality has always been a big deal. It provides the life juice for every single piece of hardware in your system.

Don't ever, ever, ever buy an al-cheapo crap power supply just to "get by".

Cheap power supplies can mean lower ratings then advertised, unstable voltages, low effiencies, etc...

Also, you will want larger than a 500W PSU for that setup. A NICE 500W will probably do as I'm running a 550W(Antec TruPower2.0) on mine...but it's the PSU I've been using and honestly I don't feel comfortable with it.

I'll be upgrading soon to this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153043

I'm still looking into them and will probably change my mind again, but I'm an SLI fan so I'm just looking for the best power supply to handle dual 8800GTX's and a Core2Duo.
I don't know about Thermaltake PSUs, the last I read, they had a bad reputation for being crap.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:37 AM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I don't know about Thermaltake PSUs, the last I read, they had a bad reputation for being crap.
I guess I'd like to know if that's still true. And if people think it...why?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Dont ever buy a cheap powersupply or a cheapass powersupply theres a difference between those two lol. Cheap powersupply= the XG (crappy case maker) 700 watt psu for 110 bucks. Cheapass powersupply = the Hanbook or w.e. wierd name 400 watt psu for 20 bucks. The cheapass powersupply might just go on fire (happened to a friend of mine), and the cheap powersupply most likely will just die and come no where near its rated wattage. Better to buy a dam good powersupply to start with, reduces the risk of it running your system components and does exactly what you expect. Don't be cheap with components that are important for your computer to run properly, you will only end up paying more at the end.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:10 PM   #7
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For that system, get a Corsair HX Power Supply.

520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139001

620W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002

Although, I don't always agree about the avoidance of cheap power supplies. My dad's system has been running off a CompUSA brand PSU for a while. My sister's was as well until I made her upgrade her case to an Antec that included a 450W Antec PSU. I am trying to sell some custom built low-end PCs with 350W Rosewill PSUs as well that have recieved decent reviews. I think for low-end internet PCs a low-end PSU is fine, but when you're building a gaming rig don't cheap out on the PSU!
lighting up the dark.

Last edited by ScottDoom : Jul 7, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 03:09 PM   #8
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Yes, PSU quality is very important. I have owned cheap PSUs in the past and almost all of them had all sorts of problems handling my system. Two of them even blew up.

But since I upgraded to this Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU about a year ago, I have not had a single problem. And it's not really that expensive, just $48 shipped. I would highly recommend it (and so would the 1000+ reviewers on Newegg).

EDIT: Found that TR2 PSU for $25 after $15 rebate with free shipping on ZipZoomFly. Click here!

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.

Last edited by genci88 : Jul 7, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:48 PM   #9
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

Cheap 'n nasty supplies were always out there. It's just that in the last few years most people have been able to afford to upgrade their systems to the point where even an average system is capable of now showing one up.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 09:19 AM   #10
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Do I really need a 500-600W powersupply? I mean these things go up to 200 bucks. I'd rather spend that on more ram and such.

I was looking at a 450W powersupply. Would it not work?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Grov
Death Comes For You

Grov is still being judged by the masses

Basically anything of good quality, around 500W will be fine for that system. It depends on how much you want to spend? You could get a slighty beefier PSU, and have the extra piece of mind, and it will mean you will need to upgrade it later, rather than sooner, in the future.

Corsair's HX PSU's are excellent PSU's and there pretty good value as well. They have 1 single rail, which is better than multiple rails.

Id probably shop around and try and find a good deal on the 620W HX if i was you, though a 520WHX would handle the system fine.

Other good PSU brands would be:
-Silverstone
-Antec
-Enermax
-PC Power & Cooling
-Zippy
-Ultra
-Seasonic
-OCZ

Most brands make various models, which vary in quality.

www.jonnyguru.com is an excellent site, and he's pretty much known be to one of the most knowledgable and best reviwers around of PSU's.

Once you start SLI 8800's with a Quad Core, and loads of other crap, heavily overclocked, then you need 750W+ excellent PSU's, but otherwise you don't need anything that powerful.
Grov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 04:20 AM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Corsair HX620w for $154 before rebate and $134 after at NCIX here
Corsair HX520w for $109 before rebate and $99 after at NCIX here

Reviews
Both
Silent PC Review

HX620w
JonnyGURU
Legit Reviews
Tweak Town
NeoSeeker
HardOCP

HX520w
JonnyGURU

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jul 9, 2007 at 04:24 AM.
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote