Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Intel Intel’s First Nehalem Processors for Desktops Set to Emerge in Q4 2008

Intel’s code-named Nehalem processors first emerged in long-term Intel’s roadmap back in 2002 and, as it turns out now, five years later, the actual chips based on the Nehalem micro-architecture will emerge in the fourth quarter of 2008.

But one thing those initial Nehalem processors not expected to deliver is integrated graphics core.

Intel’s Nehalem processors are based on the brand new micro-architecture that is not only more efficient and advanced compared to Intel Core 2, it is also feature a new multi-threading technology, which will allow to virtually double the amount of cores available. But besides integrated memory controller and a new type of processor bus called Intel Quick Path Interconnect (QPI), the Nehalem promises very high customizability. For example, Intel can add a built-in graphics core into Nehalem central processing units and alter the number of memory controller channels besides changing the number of operating processing engines.

The first implementation of Nehalem micro-architecture will be code-named Intel Bloomfield central processing unit (CPU), according to sources familiar with Intel Corp.’s plans. The chip will have two or four cores, depending on positioning, and will be able to process up to eight threads simultaneously thanks to a technology similar to Intel’s Hyper-Threading.

Bloomfield chips will be available for extreme desktops/workstations, high-performance desktops and mainstream desktops (dual-core version), whereas Nehalem EP processors will be aimed at dual-processor (DP) and uni-processor servers. All the chips are currently projected to arrive in Q4 2008.

For some reason, sources close to Intel Corp. currently have no information regarding already announced octa-core microprocessors as well as CPUs with integrated graphics cores, which are also based on the Nehalem micro-architecture. While Paul Otellini, Intel’s chief executive, implied at Intel Developer Forum that microprocessors with built-in graphics cores will be available in 2009, the octa-core chips were promised to be “shipped” in 2008.

Intel Corp.’s officials did not comment on the news-story.

Source: X-bit Labs
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

This one is going to be brutal for AMD to cope with. Even a die shrunk K-10 will be hard pressed to even put up a fight let alone keep from being slaughtered. I'm looking VERY forward to playing with these chips.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Emmet Otter
I mend fences

Emmet Otter is still being judged by the masses

Remind us about this next year
Occupation: mending fences Interests: playing washtub bass for a jugband, digital photography, hiking and watching NJ Devils hockey. Favorate games: Unreal Tournament series except UTIII, Stalker SoC, F.E.A.R, cant wait for DiabloIII
Camera Gear: Canon 30D, 1D3 and 5DII.
85 1.2L II
24 1.4L II
24 - 105 4L IS
70 - 200 2.8L IS
24 - 70 L
100 2.8 macro
MP-E 65 2.8 5x macro
sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6
tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 fishy
speedlites 580EX/580EXII and MT-24EX

-My New Slideshow-

-My Photo Slideshow-

Emmet Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet Otter View Post
Remind us about this next year
I'm as stoked about Nehalem's launch as I was over K8's launch TBH.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:35 PM   #5
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It would be nice if they can add controllers to go Quad channel.
I was reading a blog thing from one of the guys at Adobe and he was going on and on about how bandwidth starved they are, specially now with multicores that has scaled the computing power alot but is still hampered by roughly the same old bandwidth.
Atleast with most of the tasks THEY are doing with photoshop, pretty much everything except the radial field filter hehe, so that is something they´ve apparantly turned alot of corners to work around.
4x512 or 4x1024Mb sticks shouldnt be hard to get your hands on.

I guess to keep up they should have gone Quad channel on Dual cores, and octa (hehe, sounds wierd, 8 anyhow) channel with Quad cores..
To give every core the bandwidth of dual channel.