Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default In market for new phone, how bad is Windows Phone?

Does is have an awesome, full functioning Siri type app that works?

Are the default apps outstanding or do you need to buy business ones like on Android?

Does it have great map and navigation apps like Android?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

A MS version of Siri (they call it Cortana) is supposedly coming in the WP8.1 update later in 2014. All current WP8 devices should be able to upgrade to 8.1
WP8.1 should have all sorts of parity features (like notification center, separate media/volume setting, quick setting menu, Cortana voice assistant, I THINk there is going to be some kind of file manager but im not sure) The current WP8 GDR3 update has new hardware support, closing tasks in the task manager (instead of spamming the back button), separate ringtones for voice/email/etc)

Most if not all WP devices use Nokia's "HERE" maps which are really good. (there are some third party google map apps and MS has its own Bing maps as well)

App situation is highly dependant on what you use. You'd need to give examples of the types of apps. A lot of the non-existant official ones have decent 3rd party alternatives.

Its improving and getting closer to parity. Its just moving too goddam slow in that regard.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset

Last edited by Sasquach : Dec 22, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Nokia's Drive HERE is very good as good as tomtom app or magellan roadmate for ios and near as good as garmin app and free
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...5-a294d54df06f

1.5 years with a 4s and I never used Siri all it did is mess up
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ok thanks for the feedback.

Decided I'll be going Blackberry again for 2 more years.

Hopefully by then the 'techie' phones will have everything I want/need in a smartphone.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post

Hopefully by then the 'techie' phones will have everything I want/need in a smartphone.
Don't let the android police know about your blackberry
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:

Don't hold your breath if you still want the goofy crap you wanted before...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Don't let the android police know about your blackberry
When Blackberry goes under it won't matter what the Android police think.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:57 PM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Thanks for the update Sasquatch.

Looking forward to Windows Phone getting voice commands. I couldn't live without them on my Android phone. I hope MS does as good a job.

If Nokia keeps their lead with high quality cameras, they will almost certainly get my next phone purchase. Until now, the main thing that has kept me on Android is that I really hate using iOS and there haven't been any competitive alternatives to either.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The default app is better than expected for voice commands.

The stock apps are superior to iOS and android in many ways. The mapping is better than android.

Enjoy the BB
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Quote:
Be sure to join us in the crackberry forums. BB10 OS development is going at an awesome pace so check out the newest leaked OS while there.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer#2), MSI 970 Gaming, FX 8350, Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer #3) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K),Thermaltake 550w, Win10pro
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
Be sure to join us in the crackberry forums. BB10 OS development is going at an awesome pace so check out the newest leaked OS while there.
Yup, been there for several years now, awesome place for help and info.

The OP of this thread pretty much nails why I like my touchpad/keyboard BB so much.

Edit: There are tons of other great comments in that thread also. Touch screen is just yuck for a phone.

Last edited by Destroy : Dec 23, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Yup, been there for several years now, awesome place for help and info.

The OP of this thread pretty much nails why I like my touchpad/keyboard BB so much.

Edit: There are tons of other great comments in that thread also. Touch screen is just yuck for a phone.
Seems like they are using devices with poor palm rejection and other things used to make touch screens better.

I like physical keyboards. I also know that I have never typed faster and with more accuracy than with a keyboard that has a swype feature. Heck, just dictating my texts on my phone is incredibly quick and accurate.

I used a BB at work before. It was amazing for when it came out, but I can't take seriously comments suggesting that a physical keyboard remains the best option when there are so many other input methods for smart phones.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote