Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD Rage3D - AMD Eyefinity & DisplayPort Difficulties

Long time Eyefinity users will likely be familiar with the Display Port Link Failure message, interrupting their gaming session and ruining their immersion. Drivers, right? Perhaps not, maybe it's the cable - and an ecosystem certification problem.

AMD Eyefinity & DisplayPort Difficulties @ Rage3D.com
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Really interesting article James. Thanks for the writeup on your findings... I'm certain I'm not the only one who will be much more careful in my purchase of future displayport cables as a result.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Good stuff dude. I haven't run into these kinds of problems, but my machines are used in a production environment. Also, most of the time when using Eyefinity SLS or multiple outputs in extended mode, I'm using the mDP > DVI adapters along with the native DVI outputs. Last week, I was using DP > DP cables with no issues however.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wow! Pretty good find there. Amazing this wasn't found out eons ago. Doesn't Apple solely use DP now? I wonder if their cables and accessories meet Display port standards? If they too had issue due to power being passed back to the card?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

There is one cable that has been certified, it's available in 6' and 10' lengths and only has full size connectors. All the others are roll the dice and see what you get.

This is one of the worst kinds of problems, it's not a clear work/don't work; it's intermittent and really hard to figure out what you did that made it work/not work.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
moheban79
Radeon R100

moheban79 is still being judged by the masses

Default I knew it!

Nice write up! I have had issues as well though maybe not as severe as causing those kinds of crashes or instability. Basically I get a lot of terrible flickering, banding, and tearing when playing some games like Borderlands 2 in eyefinity mode when vsync is forced off. This renders the game unplayable. Sometimes happens with other games and the ones that work I suspect is because the games turn on Vsync. I have tried two different mini-dp dongles (Accell and XFX dongle [not sure of brand]) mixing dp with dvi using one or both dongles, moving preferred display, alternating dvi freq and reducing dvi frequency setting and none of that works.

Only way is to turn on vsync which limits max gpu utilization among my three 6970s that have three Samsung PX2370 LED monitors attached. Using the 13.2 beta 4 right now in Trifire mode. This hasn't worked right since 12.3 honestly but I'm happy limited to 60fps as its very smooth non the less but would like better fps even still. All the research I did only found that its a hardware dp - dvi timing issue. No real fix. Complained to AMD few months back and they sent me a third broken dp dongle that didn't even work. What I am confused about is if its even possible to mix dvi and dp dongles when vsync is off?

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
colson79
Radeon R200

colson79 is still being judged by the masses

Interesting article. I guess I am lucky, I went eyefinity about 6 months ago and I haven't had any issues at all with my setup. I have 3 monitors and they have a display port and a dvi port. I am using 2 7970 GPU's and I have two monitors connected with mini DP to DP cables and the 3rd on DVI.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Wow! Pretty good find there. Amazing this wasn't found out eons ago. Doesn't Apple solely use DP now? I wonder if their cables and accessories meet Display port standards? If they too had issue due to power being passed back to the card?
You can thank fellow Rager 'Craz'...he seems to be the one who came across this DP pin 20 voltage issue and did a lot of the legwork testing it out; cavey picked it up and ran with it to get some answers from AMD and VESA.

Good work from everyone involved.

Odyssey (main desktop): Listed on System Specs button
MediaBox (unRAID media server): Ryzen 7 3700X - 48GB DDR4-3200 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) - 1TB TeamGroup SATA3 SSD (cache drive) - 3 x 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro and 2 x 8TB Seagate BarraCuda HDDs (array storage drives), 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro HDD (array parity drive) - Cooler Master Centurion 590 case - Cooler Master 850W PSU
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:02 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

that post is directly linked to in the article.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Thumbs up MST Hubs are arriving in July.

I've been repeatedly bugging BizLink to call me and give me an ETA on the MST Hub that is mentioned and pictured in the AMD Knowledge base. Here's the 2 places that it is mentioned and pictured:

http://support.amd.com/us/certified/...dpcapable.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...splayPort.aspx

As you can see, those articles are very recently updated. I finally got a call yesterday from Steven of Accell Corp., which is owned by BizLink. He told me a limited shipment of the hubs, both DP and mDP versions, would be arriving the first week of July at Accell. They will need to be SKU'd with some vendors and then shipped. So, sometime in July some of them will be available.

Just an FYI for everybody.

Peace.

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago : Jun 1, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Hooray!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 04:41 AM   #12
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

I can only say, "It's about time!"
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:42 AM   #13
contrails

contrails is still being judged by the masses

Default displayport link failure after sleep

I am having DP link failure error,
I have visiotek 900614 Radeon HD 7750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140109212436:s

powering 4 AOC 29-inch IPS Q2963PM monitors

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=eauciuen0a-20

connected through generic mini DP to DP cable

Do you think if I upgrade the cable to mini DP to DP 1.2 this issue will be resloved?

I am looking at this cable

Many thanks for your input
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:24 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If that cable is on the list of tested cables at VESA website, yes.