Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Default New Moto X

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/05/moto-x-returns/

Actually looks pretty fantastic, though that battery is pretty tiny. Snapdragon 801, 13mpixel camera, 5.2" 1080p screen, supposedly all day battery life despite the small battery. It's pretty much what the Moto X SHOULD have been.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Actually looks pretty fantastic, though that battery is pretty tiny. Snapdragon 801, 13mpixel camera, 5.2" 1080p screen, supposedly all day battery life despite the small battery. It's pretty much what the Moto X SHOULD have been.
With that screen, that could be decent.

I wish it had Qi charging though

They give the watch Qi, and not the phone?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Oh, also has optional REAL leather back, available in 4 colors.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Oh, also has optional REAL leather back, available in 4 colors.
Yah, they can keep that. Leather doesn't necessarily age well.

You can recondition it, but I'd rather go with a wood back if I was getting this.

A back with Qi and a metal plate for the Nexus charger would be perfect

Rumors are the next Nexus phone is going to be based around this. I am hoping it is delayed so they can have a 64-bit setup and do proper testing of L.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

A wooden back? Is that what makers are doing now? I thought that Samsung's pleather backing was terrible.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
A wooden back? Is that what makers are doing now? I thought that Samsung's pleather backing was terrible.
Wait, why would wood be worse than pleather? You still being an angry ex?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Wait, why would wood be worse than pleather? You still being an angry ex?
They're both gimmicks and adds nothing to the value of the device.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Having actually played around with the previous gen Moto X and it's REAL wood back, I love it.

It's a customization option, and it is a surface that holds up well. Plus you can pick different backs as you see fit.

How is this a negative? How is having a choice in texture and surface and picking something you like a negative?

And it's a consumption device. The value is in what you can do with it. If the surface is useful for anything, such as warmer to the touch (wood and leather don't get as cold as glass and metal, for example) or don't show up marks and such, I fail to see how that is a bad thing?

Much easier to sport this device naked with a wood back, or even leather, than aluminium or glass.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:38 AM   #9
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

More interested in the Turbo or whatever the hell it's called, if those specs are accurate that thing will be a beast.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about wood trim in cars?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about wood trim in cars?
Yes.

On September 9th, you'll see how phones should be done son.

Last edited by Razeus : Sep 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Yes.

In terms of materials?

Because pretty much everything else that has been rumored is borrowing from the Android and WP stable, which has been around for a year or longer in many cases.

iPhones typically do have good construction. But they don't hold up too well naked. Not one of the iPhones in the office I work in that are naked have held up, they all have scratches and blemishes.

My Nexus 5? It's still mint, and I've run it naked about 90% of the time I've had it over the previous year.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Yes.

Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 03:16 PM   #14
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

It looks pretty good and everything, but why aren't you ragging on this one for having an 801 instead of 805? Specs wise, the Z3 still seems like it will be better than this to me. I do kind of like the shape of the moto.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 03:39 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
It looks pretty good and everything, but why aren't you ragging on this one for having an 801 instead of 805? Specs wise, the Z3 still seems like it will be better than this to me. I do kind of like the shape of the moto.
The Sony Z3 is an amazing device
Old Sep 5, 2014, 05:25 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Because the Moto X is an 801 coming from Snapdragon S4. That's a HUGE specs bump, and they didn't even call it another iteration, it's just the Moto X. The Z1 to Z2 was a tiny spec bump, the Z2 to Z3 is also a tiny spec bump. You don't get that? Those aren't new generations, they're slight upgrades.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 06:44 PM   #17
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Because the Moto X is an 801 coming from Snapdragon S4. That's a HUGE specs bump, and they didn't even call it another iteration, it's just the Moto X. The Z1 to Z2 was a tiny spec bump, the Z2 to Z3 is also a tiny spec bump. You don't get that? Those aren't new generations, they're slight upgrades.
Quote:
I get it, I just don't care. I care more about the U.S. getting the Z1s instead of the Z2 more than that. I also care about companies doing stupid things like samsung having 3 or 4 different versions of the Galaxy S3, or generally cruddy Android skins, or the HTC One M8 having that low res camera, or people equating anecdotes of lucky phones surviving harrowing encounters with water to proper water resistance etc., etc.

As far as naming goes, I am just glad they don't do stuff like Samsung did with the Samsung Galaxy, Galaxy S, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus etc. WTF was up with that naming scheme? At least Sony has the common decency to make their model progression clear and distinct.

I am not a huge fan of a 6 month phone cycle, but my philosophy is to just look for the phone that bests suits my needs. For that purpose, I don't get why anyone would compare a phone on anything other than every other phone that is available at the same time. I also don't expect a revolution every year. I guess I just don't get why you would be excited for the moto x over the z3, when they are both such a small improvement (relative to your current hand set) in most ways and the moto x is even a down grade in some ways.

/rant
Old Sep 6, 2014, 09:59 PM   #18
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Congrats.. you just about described every product from Cupertino since the iMac forward.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 02:45 AM   #19
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Not to mention, how much does a Moto X cost outright?

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:53 AM   #20
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Not to mention, how much does a Moto X cost outright?
Supposedly $500
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:24 PM   #21
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Ah, abit of a jump from the currents $349 starting price.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:44 PM   #22
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Ah, abit of a jump from the currents $349 starting price.
Wasn't the old moto x more mid-range?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 01:39 PM   #23
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Sorta and upon looking it up, the Moto X started at $499 when it launched.

System:
Old Sep 8, 2014, 03:24 PM   #24
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Compared to some of the devices out then, yes.

Quote:
Sorta and upon looking it up, the Moto X started at $499 when it launched.
It was a decent price for an outright buy, and then once the Nexus 5 came out, it dropped into the $400 range, with other promotions going even lower.

The new one is compelling. I am curious to see what we end up with if a Google Play model comes out.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 04:40 PM   #25
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Compared to some of the devices out then, yes.

It was a decent price for an outright buy, and then once the Nexus 5 came out, it dropped into the $400 range, with other promotions going even lower.

The new one is compelling. I am curious to see what we end up with if a Google Play model comes out.
I imagine that the Moto-X would be pretty vanilla Android already, given that Moto is owned by Google (I guess Lenovo is in the process of buying them, but the deal isn't done yet.)

hmm. According to wikipedia Moto is closing the plant that made the old Moto-X. Seems like they are giving up the made in the U.S. thing.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 06:03 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I imagine that the Moto-X would be pretty vanilla Android already, given that Moto is owned by Google (I guess Lenovo is in the process of buying them, but the deal isn't done yet.)

hmm. According to wikipedia Moto is closing the plant that made the old Moto-X. Seems like they are giving up the made in the U.S. thing.
Lenovo bought em and have been setting up factories in China, so cost benefit there I suppose. Also, Chinese market proximity/shipping savings/etc.

I wonder if they are still using a low-powered co-processor for some of the voice features. It appears to have the glance and tap-to-wake functionality from the Nokia Lumia's and some of the LG products. I think HTC also has some of that?

Either way, good price point for a solid phone. But that Xperia Z3
Old Sep 8, 2014, 06:11 PM   #27
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Lenovo bought em and have been setting up factories in China, so cost benefit there I suppose. Also, Chinese market proximity/shipping savings/etc.

I wonder if they are still using a low-powered co-processor for some of the voice features. It appears to have the glance and tap-to-wake functionality from the Nokia Lumia's and some of the LG products. I think HTC also has some of that?

Either way, good price point for a solid phone. But that Xperia Z3
I couldn't find any info on whether or not the sale had gone through yet. What I found said they were waiting approval from "U.S. regulators". Regardless, the Moto-X was certainly designed while Motorola was owned by Google.

Edit: The latest news I found was from mid August and indicated they were still waiting for approval. http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...own-one-to-go/

Last edited by aviphysics : Sep 8, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2014, 06:29 PM   #28
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Leather back? no ty
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2014, 09:05 PM   #29
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Pleather implies some sort of vinyl. Samsung's back is plastic textured to look like leather.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:08 AM   #30
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Yes.

lmfao

sigged