Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 4, 2021, 04:04 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Just found out my wife's friend is now dating a Tesla mobile mechanic.

Keep your friends close, but keep your Tesla mechanic even closer!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 07:46 PM   #92
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkytprice can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I was able to get everything sorted out with the original service guy I worked with. He was out Thursday and Friday and something must have gotten lost in translation between him and the other folks.

The trim was ordered and delivered last week, but when it showed up it was for the wrong side of the car. They immediately ordered the correct piece but didn't let me know. They also confirmed I shouldn't have been charged for it. They issued a refund today.

Mobile service is coming Wednesday to perform the trim replacement and to fix my window.
Great! After they get that sorted you can give us your thoughts on the car!
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2021, 08:09 PM   #93
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
until the next thing breaks

j/k...

....i hope...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:36 AM   #94
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I hope I don't suffer through this when I order my car. Narrowing it down to a Model S Long Range.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:25 PM   #95
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
His thoughts might be that he should have gotten a different EV
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:44 AM   #96
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Tesla just increased prices for Model Y and 3. At least we saved a couple of grand.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 01:07 PM   #97
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

1) My refund for my trim showed up on my card.

2) Mobile Service came today and replaced my trim as well as fixed my window issue. They actually were able to come about 2.5 hours earlier than originally scheduled and were here maybe 45 minutes.

So far so good.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2021, 01:17 PM   #98
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Better....better.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2021, 01:19 PM   #99
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
1) My refund for my trim showed up on my card.

2) Mobile Service came today and replaced my trim as well as fixed my window issue. They actually were able to come about 2.5 hours earlier than originally scheduled and were here maybe 45 minutes.

So far so good.
glad to hear it
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:51 AM   #100
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Other than a stop at a Supercharger (which was free due to having 1,000 free referral miles) on my way home from IL/Milwaukee, this is my charge history and cost so far:

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:16 AM   #101
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

My delivery estimate got moved up from Dec to November.
Woo hoo.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:21 AM   #102
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Other than a stop at a Supercharger (which was free due to having 1,000 free referral miles) on my way home from IL/Milwaukee, this is my charge history and cost so far:

That’s not bad. At this rate you will get the cost of the car back in 500 years.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2021, 01:09 PM   #103
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
That’s not bad. At this rate you will get the cost of the car back in 500 years.
You mean the cost difference between this and a gas equivalent car right? You're close to the oil and gas economy what's the forecast for energy prices? Everything I've seen is there's going to be a spike due in part to the global supply chain problem, shut oil fields can't be reopened on a dime and will the green economy kick in right when those fields open back up leading to loss of investment so everyone is hesitating on resupplying?
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2021, 01:31 PM   #104
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
You mean the cost difference between this and a gas equivalent car right? You're close to the oil and gas economy what's the forecast for energy prices? Everything I've seen is there's going to be a spike due in part to the global supply chain problem, shut oil fields can't be reopened on a dime and will the green economy kick in right when those fields open back up leading to loss of investment so everyone is hesitating on resupplying?
Indeed. It's a strange argument when the move from a vehicle price perspective was fairly lateral. Had I moved down to Model 3 LR or SR+ I would have saved on both my vehicle and fuel expenses by a fair margin compared to my previous car.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 01:11 AM   #105
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Guys it was a joke. But yes I am quite worried about fuel prices in the coming few months. I hope OPEC ramps up production again. In UAE electric costs to charge a car are super high to my knowledge and hence why I don’t even consider them. Also there is no Tesla charging infrastructure that I am aware of. Only chargers I have seen are in malls and those are like 3 spots out of 100s and always under use.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 01:20 AM   #106
KAC
It might be gays!

Also would the batteries discharge faster because temps here are about 40 C + during 6-7 months of the year?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:48 AM   #107
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Also would the batteries discharge faster because temps here are about 40 C + during 6-7 months of the year?
I honestly dont know who to believe when it comes to electric car battery behaviour.

Tesla owners will tell you nothing will happen and that you just need to plug it in and the car figures all that crap itself.

Physics tells you something happens because batteries just do not like extreme hot and extreme cold (i live in a cold climate and i read that the range reduction is anywhere between 10%-50% and i dont know who to believe because some of this behaviour sounds...suspect)

Everyone tells you you can do this and that with your car (like pre-air-con before you get in, pre-heat before you get in, run the house like a generator on some trucks, etc)..thats cool but...doesnt ALL that stuff run off the battery somehow, unless theres a completely separate battery that is allocated for those purposes only.

No one tells you how ANY of these affect battery performance....i just keep hearing about its peak performance all the time.

My iphone battery just completely dies if its too cold, even with a full charge.
Once its warmed up enough then it'll work again but then i lose all my charge....

Everything just seems like EV batteries dont behave the same as say a phone battery or some smaller capacity battery. Just seems a bit odd...but no one ever seems to be able to explain why....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:57 AM   #108
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I honestly dont know who to believe when it comes to electric car battery behaviour.

Tesla owners will tell you nothing will happen and that you just need to plug it in and the car figures all that crap itself.

Physics tells you something happens because batteries just do not like extreme hot and extreme cold (i live in a cold climate and i read that the range reduction is anywhere between 10%-50% and i dont know who to believe because some of this behaviour sounds...suspect)

Everyone tells you you can do this and that with your car (like pre-air-con before you get in, pre-heat before you get in, run the house like a generator on some trucks, etc)..thats cool but...doesnt ALL that stuff run off the battery somehow, unless theres a completely separate battery that is allocated for those purposes only.

No one tells you how ANY of these affect battery performance....i just keep hearing about its peak performance all the time.

My iphone battery just completely dies if its too cold, even with a full charge.
Once its warmed up enough then it'll work again but then i lose all my charge....

Everything just seems like EV batteries dont behave the same as say a phone battery or some smaller capacity battery. Just seems a bit odd...but no one ever seems to be able to explain why....
EV batteries have a system to maintain temperature. It takes some juice but I believe it's not as much as the hit would be if the battery got cold or hot.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2021, 01:15 PM   #109
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

this would be an EV i'd love to drive

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2021, 01:57 PM   #110
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post

I asked the question because I can’t find any conclusive reviewers posting this. All I have read are forum posts claiming one or the other. Thanks for clarifying that it isn’t just me who can’t find this info.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 02:35 PM   #111
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

If you want a good explanation of the current thermal management system (including their new octovalve and heat pump system) present in the Model 3 and Model Y (not sure about X or S) then this is a good watch:

Part 1
https://youtu.be/rgmBpEQtJ1s

Part 2
https://youtu.be/kJJBmQ-5bNs

Part 3
https://youtu.be/g0Ss5m2ksVY

I am sure you can find something about their prior solution as well.

To see things in practice...well, mostly just the heat pump, here is a video of someone that used "Camp Mode" overnight in the winter. In this case they compare energy use between the old system and new system:

https://youtu.be/GRubEJh_5gs

In the winter, some people also choose to precondition so the cabin and battery are warmed up. This can be done manually through the app or you can do it via scheduled departure. Per Tesla:

Quote:
It is normal to see increased energy consumption during colder months. To maximize range and efficiency in the cold, take extra steps to keep your battery warm and conserve energy.

Scheduled Departure
To precondition your car around your schedule, set your next departure time using the 'Scheduled Departure' feature on your touchscreen. Tap the Climate Controls settings screen > turn on Preconditioning in settings > select ‘Schedule’ to set a daily time when you want to be ready to drive.

You can conserve significant energy on the road by using Scheduled Departure while plugged in. Once your specified time is set, your car prepares itself by determining the best time to start charging and preconditioning.

Precondition Using the Tesla App
You can pre-heat your car by activating preconditioning or defrost in the Tesla app. This will save significant energy on the road to be plugged in while preconditioning.

Precondition: Open the Tesla app and tap 'Climate' > 'Turn On.'
Defrost: Open the Tesla app and select 'Climate' > defrost icon.

Last edited by Clockwork : Oct 19, 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 02:45 AM   #112
KAC
It might be gays!

Thanks a lot. Will watch.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:49 AM   #113
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

My new mud flaps/splash guards from Abstract Ocean arrived today.

Old Oct 25, 2021, 04:26 PM   #114
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tesla hit the trillion dollar mark with a 100,000 order from Hertz.
Crazy times indeed.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 05:19 PM   #115
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Tesla hit the trillion dollar mark with a 100,000 order from Hertz.
Crazy times indeed.
Damn! That's a serious order.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2021, 05:29 PM   #116
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Oh I installed my flaps the same day I got them....

Old Oct 25, 2021, 05:42 PM   #117
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

Nice!

I need to order some accessories including pet cargo liner.
Clock, do you find the rear view and side mirrors a bit small? I've seen some people order larger ones online.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 06:21 PM   #118
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Clock, do you find the rear view and side mirrors a bit small?
No.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:19 AM   #119
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Folding@home

I put on my winter wheels and tires.

Old Nov 6, 2021, 02:52 PM   #120
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I love me some Conti's
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote