Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
klutzon
Found his way home

klutzon is still being judged by the masses

Default A different thread about ATi drivers ... not from ATi.

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about my dream 8500 VIVO, and it occurred to me: do you think that Gigabyte, Hercules, and all the other companies that have taken on the ATi range will create their own drivers? Because my hope is, that they will do this, and the drivers that we have now from ATi will be like "reference" drivers...

Remember the days of 3Dfx, where Creative would have a set of drivers for their 3D Blaster Voodoo2, and Diamond would have their own set of drivers for their Monster 3D Voodoo2, each of them having special features on their respective cards, but if you didn't have any drivers you could fall back on the basic 3Dfx "reference" drivers?

If this will come true, then we could have some really great drivers for the ATi serious and quell all the unease that has been plaguing these forums for so long, and peace and tranquility will once again return to these digital plains...

The only question is, will this come to be, or will they merely use the ATi drivers with a revised .inf file and company-specific features for the respective cards?

I wonder...

Klutz is enjoying his "Forever" membership at Galbadia Hotel... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CLICKS GUYS!!! :)
Galbadia Hotel: a place for game soundtrack lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
This is true. 'sides, Klutzon could quintuple post something and I'd still prefer his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHA
Yes, I'm a stubborn moron at times, but it keeps me occupied ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsy
Just tell her to open her mouth and close her eyes ... then throw her down and stick it in her pooper ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimacy
Welcome to the world of current events. Feel free to grab a brochure and get back to us when you've caught up with the latest news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke
It's okay Vazel. We all know about your "punctuation" issues and how much you like ";" as opposed to ":"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
Ugh, I hate that.. I honestly get so paranoid it's not even funny. One time, I ran out of eyedrops (dear god) and forgot. I went to the nearest shoppers, red-eyed as hell, holding only a box of clear-eyes in a huge line up, never.. ever.. again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Yeah, it seems like any game that doesn't measure up to some arbitrary standard or feeling we expect to have gets labeled consolized! What?!? Blurry textures! Consolitus! You can't save every 4 seconds? Consolitus! It doesn't have 12 million buttons that are bindable to controls! Consolitus! I can't use 16XAA with 166XAF consolitus! I got laid last nite because I wasn't playing PC games. Consolitus! No wait....
| My Games Collection (last updated Oct 07)
klutzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:53 PM   #2
Zardon

having used and owned alot of the hercules cards, up to the ultra II prophet, im pleased to say that they do make their own drivers, and from my experience they are good and stable... they dedicate time and resources to it, so lets hope they can make them work on the radeon 8500, hopefully they wont cope out and use the ati base set and just change dialogue boxes with their logo.

if they do, we can get THEM and use them.

fingers crossed......
Old Jan 28, 2002, 07:43 PM   #3
Artax
Radeon R420

Artax is still being judged by the masses

I have mixed feelings about 3rd party drivers, I doubt that they can build better ones than ATi and if they do start making drivers on a regular basis it will take the pressure off of ATi, where it needs to be. For each manufacturer to have their own prepackaged drivers is industry standard, but I hope they push ATi to develop better "reference" drivers. Cause how many nvidia kids use the drivers that came with board?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 28, 2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Zardon

Quote:
Originally posted by Artax
I have mixed feelings about 3rd party drivers, I doubt that they can build better ones than ATi and if they do start making drivers on a regular basis it will take the pressure off of ATi, where it needs to be. For each manufacturer to have their own prepackaged drivers is industry standard, but I hope they push ATi to develop better "reference" drivers. Cause how many nvidia kids use the drivers that came with board?
very good points.. lets hope they even work with ATI to improve them... the staff at hercules are skilled people.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 11:57 PM   #5
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Default Good to have you back Klutz..

...we need more of you kooky optimistic types to off-set the bitter rage that's building.

(Nothing personal Klutzon, I'm just going nuts lately bashing ATI. It's WAY too much fun to get out all this built up anger at their continual crappy support. )

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2002, 03:38 AM   #6
WindWarrior
Radeon R420

WindWarrior is still being judged by the masses

If any body can build a new set of drivers to unleash the power
of the 8500 Hercules can,I mean look at the way their GTXP sound card work's. It's the first card I know of to get new driver's that unleash it to 5.1 with a virtual 6th center rear channel where as Creative has to come out with new cards to up the anti.
BLACK WIDOW Inc. SYS:Lian-Li PC 7T w/lexan window w/costom graphics/neon lighting Startech 450 watt pws AMD 1800+Tt Volcano 7+ Soyo Dragon + 768mb PC2100 Samsung DDR 2xWD30 gig HDs R8500 retail 275/275
Dig.Research 52x cdrom TDK 32x10x40 CD-R/RW Creative 12x dvd
Audigy MP3+ Cambridge SW 5.1s
WindWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2002, 04:09 AM   #7
TEQ
Radeon R200

TEQ is still being judged by the masses

Most of the '3rd party' drivers released for 3dfx based cards were no such thing, but the reference drivers with a few changes for a company's card specific features and a bit of branding on the display property sheets.
TEQ is offline   Reply With Quote