Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 23, 2019, 04:44 PM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
It did. This is why I asked.
The 302 was originally made as a carbureted motor. They didn't update much of anything to make it work for fuel economy, so swapping to carb is extremely simple. There is so much work I still have to do to finish the fuel injection, then I have to tune it, I have no idea what the car is right now so I want to find that out before I sink so much time into the fuel injection. I want to be able to put some miles on it before I spend even more getting it right.

I've never even driven a stock E30, much my E30. I've only ever driven highly modified examples.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2019, 04:46 PM   #302
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeah, every small block I've seen the injection ports are in the intake manifold. A carb intake runner simply bolts into place between the heads.

It's really simple to pull MP or TB EFI off any north American small block.

Elysian...

Did you look into the MSD Ignition Control box?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2019, 07:41 PM   #303
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Ah OK that makes sense, so you simply back track to carb.

I assumed the opposite where carbing would require much swapping.

It is still the same for mid 2000's V-8? Like an LS1?

And yeah, MSD has a bolt on with the harness already made.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2019, 04:45 PM   #304
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Cut the core support off and cleaned up the car side of it. Swapped the carb setup on.

Verified the strut bar will still work with the carb.

In case anyone wonders why the headers come out the front, no room. Steering exits right where the header would go.

edit: Air filter showed up, bought an Edelbrock for my Holley carb

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 24, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 08:05 AM   #305
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

The engine might scoff a bit!

What year block is this?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2019, 08:42 AM   #306
Elysian
SCAATSJW

1999, should be fine. The cam I put in is good for carb or fuel injection.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 03:50 PM   #307
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The rear end is out of the BMW. Already have the replacement modified and painted, but need to press in new wheel bearings and buy the rest of the big brake kit. The subframe bushings were stuck on pretty good, took some wrestling to get this out.

Also need to add a second diff mount while it's out.

Oh I also measured the driveshaft length before I pulled out. With the WC T5 I came up with a length of 46" from end of output shaft to diff flange.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 25, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 09:58 AM   #308
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the new fuel pressure regulator in today. Plan right now is to drain the gas tank and refill it with clean fuel, install a new fuel filter, and install the new regulator. Then I'll clean up the wiring, prime the engine with oil again (since it's been so long), and run it. I'm going to start getting quotes for a driveshaft as well, possibly get that going.

I also went ahead and just ordered a GM HEI style distributor with vacuum advance. Didn't think through the distributor I picked up with the electric advance. Should be here tomorrow.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 01:59 PM   #309
Elysian
SCAATSJW

That escalated quickly. Driveshaft is being made. Should be done mid next week.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 01:49 PM   #310
Elysian
SCAATSJW

LKQ (junkyard) had a 40% off sale this weekend, so went and grabbed some E46 control arms for the E30 build. Will give a much wider track up front, which will compliment the wide body kit really well. Can sell the E36 M3 arms I have as well.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 05:02 PM   #311
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Driveshaft is done.

Came to $375.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:44 PM   #312
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Grabbed a 2nd set of the BBK shorty headers so I could run a proper passenger side header. Wish I could have found just a passenger, but this set wasn't too expensive. Saw plenty of drivers side headers on eBay...

Old Jan 26, 2020, 06:43 PM   #313
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Minor stuff today... Started mocking up the alternator and power steering pump, which meant relocating the dipstick tube and engine ground. Relocated the engine ground to the alternator mount.

Installed the breathers and the put the new distributor in place. Found out the 14" filter I purchased won't fit, so bought a 12" in the same style.

Then, since I bought a second set of BBK shorty headers, installed the correct passenger side header. However, I found I had to clearance the firewall to get it to go.

Looked at some other things like the clutch slave cylinder, still not sure how I'm going to accomplish that right now.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:15 AM   #314
Elysian
SCAATSJW

11 months since I last worked on the car, I finally spent some time under it. Not a lot, I don't have a lot of down-time I can dedicate to the car, but at least I got something done.

I pressed in the Delrin rear subframe mount bushings, then installed the modified rear subframe in the car.

Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:55 PM   #315
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Fun! Bushings can be a total pain in the ass, especially delrin. I had to hand fit every one of the bushings in the track car. Nice work, what's next?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2020, 07:34 AM   #316
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Fun! Bushings can be a total pain in the ass, especially delrin. I had to hand fit every one of the bushings in the track car. Nice work, what's next?
I ordered all the new parts I need to do the rear brake setup. I still need to grab some used calipers off an E46 in the junkyard to finish that out. Intend to start piecing together the rear end, get the driveshaft connected, then go from there. Still have to run brake lines up front, including a proportioning valve, install the E46 control arms, and plenty more.

The brake setup will be interesting. I've got a bracket that allows me to run an E46 caliper while having to use a Z4 rear rotor setup. Stock setup in the E30, the E36 318ti, and the Z3 non-M's is a solid rotor, not vented, so this will give me a vented rotor in the rear. I'll have 310mm rotors up front and 297mm in the rear. Should be plenty of stopping power. I won't be running ABS.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 1, 2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 09:35 AM   #317
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Awesome, I've never pieced together a braking system like that. I bought one where the work was already done. Is this a setup already used by a lot of people so the master is correct size for the caliper/pad size used?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:53 AM   #318
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Awesome, I've never pieced together a braking system like that. I bought one where the work was already done. Is this a setup already used by a lot of people so the master is correct size for the caliper/pad size used?
Yes, it's pretty common for the E30 5 lug swap people to run something like this. The company that made the brackets gives an OEM part number list to finish out the kit.

Would be cool if I could have the car ready for next autocross season (early February start). Would be a lot more fun than the Audi, I think.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:21 PM   #319
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Run em both!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:36 PM   #320
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Run em both!
Wife would not approve of a doubled tire budget
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:26 AM   #321
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Pressed in the rear wheel bearings and Delrin rear trailing arm bushings today, just a quick project to start the day.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 01:37 PM   #322
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Spent some time today working on the diff and rear hubs.

Cleaned up the rear hubs with a wire wheel:

Went to swap the rear cover from the E36 M3 dual ear diff to the 4.10 LSD that's going into the E30. Stock E30 diffs have a single ear diff cover that can fail.

Sadly, I found that the E30 speedo reluctor wheel was larger than the E36 one, so had to swap the E36 one onto the E30 diff.

E30 4.10 LSD inside:

E36 M3 3.23 LSD inside:

E30 diff with E36 reluctor on:

And that's where I'm at at the moment. The axle seals won't be here till Monday, doesn't make sense to put this back together till I can put the seals in.

I also disassembled the rear subframe that came out of the E30, will save all those parts for reinforcing later, and they'll go into my other E30.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 05:48 PM   #323
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Parts are showing up!

Here's the Z3M rear brake dust shields, they're huge!

And the Z4 rear rotors:

And the Brembo ceramic pads:

Got some other bits and bobs not worth taking pics of. More coming.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 07:00 PM   #324
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Bought this today to help crack some nuts on the BMW. Had to remove an axle nut, and my air impact wouldn't cut it. This thing knocked it right off!

Old Dec 9, 2020, 09:59 PM   #325
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Disassembled the rear brakes from the original trailing arms... the brakes were in pretty bad shape

Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:45 AM   #326
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered up a bunch of steel for the rear tire well delete, as well as for the dual ear rear diff mounting/reinforcement. Going to try to copy this setup:

Can see the build thread here:

https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/foru...ement-fab-work

I also ordered a welding gas tank so I don't have to pay tank rent anymore, that will be here next week, so I want to get as much done on the fab minus welding as I can, so when the welder gets here I'll be ready to weld.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 09:33 PM   #327
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got most of the steel I need to do that dual ear rear diff mount:

Also got the diff together besides one output flange:

I didn't have the energy to get the other output flange off the CV axle... I spent at least half an hour trying to hammer the CV axle out of the hub/trailing arm, but it's just frozen, completely stuck. I used penetrating fluid too, just didn't budge. That side also has no E-brake components. I'm glad I have a spare E30 though, will grab the parts I need off that.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:56 AM   #328
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Went to mount the diff, found the stock ear was very much in the way, so chopped it off.

Diff now mounted (by 3 bolts, couldn't find the 4th, going to use studs in final assembly anyways):

That's it for today though. I may start cutting tomorrow. Plan is to drill 2 holes through the trunk that mark the center of the front most faces of the two diff bushings, that way I can start laying out from inside the trunk.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 06:40 PM   #329
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Cleared the trunk out of the E30 tonight...

Also dropped a Getrag 260/6 transmission on my right foot, somehow didn't break my foot.

I didn't realize the trunk would be so full of that nasty rubbery insulation, it's gonna be a bear to get out of there. That stuff is attached to the trunk really well, gonna start looking at the best ways to remove it.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 04:49 PM   #330
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The Garagistic treehouse mounts finally arrived:

These allow me to use E46 front control arms instead of the E36 M3 arms, which will give a much wider track width, make it much easier to fill out my Rocket Bunny kit.

The Ground Control Camber/Caster plates I ordered hopefully will be here next week too. Excited to put this stuff in.

​​​​​​​