Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jun 3, 2021, 08:00 PM   #421
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
What do you use for a welder? I've been pricing tigs with the idea of doing my own body work, but man, it's been so long I don't even recognize the gear any more.

Post up some photos of your repair work, would you?
I just have a Hobart 220v MIG, nothing fancy. Would love to learn TIG but the cost of entry is so much higher.

MIG is fine for panel work IMO. I wouldn't want to TIG a ton of body work. This is my MIG:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...welder-1021027

Last edited by Elysian : Jun 3, 2021 at 08:22 PM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 08:12 AM   #422
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I just have a Hobart 220v MIG, nothing fancy. Would love to learn TIG but the cost of entry is so much higher.

MIG is fine for panel work IMO. I wouldn't want to TIG a ton of body work. This is my MIG:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...welder-1021027
TIG's crazy expensive to get rolling. MIG is fine, and that's a nice unit, but I don't think it's going to happen with my truck. I went to another shop this morning and the rust and rot are far more advanced than I thought. Won't derail your thread with details though.

I do like that Hobart...I just need to justify it now lol.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:00 AM   #423
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Had a dream I finally got to drive this thing, was great, but now I can't stop thinking about it and how much work I have left to do

I also had to fix lighting issues in my dream, go figure.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:42 PM   #424
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The wheel centers are back from powdercoating. The only mounting surface they did tape off was to the hub, so I'm going to wind up having to sand some coating off on each wheel center, as well as drill out each hole... Still, they look great. Can't wait to get my wheels together.

Old Jun 22, 2021, 08:56 AM   #425
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wow, gold rims.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2021, 07:46 AM   #426
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The powder coat looks fantastic. Great color choice
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2021, 08:07 AM   #427
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Dropped the wheel centers off at a machine shop yesterday to get the powdercoat taken off in places that were supposed to be masked off.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 02:51 PM   #428
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Sold the motor I pulled from the red BMW this weekend, the guys picked it up today. Only asked $500 for it, but sold it to someone who has built an E30 race car already and needed a spare motor, so it went to a good home. Could have gotten more for it, it's a pretty desirable motor, even with a blown head gasket, but I'd rather help out some good people.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 03:26 PM   #429
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Must feel a little funny letting go of some of your toys.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 06:47 PM   #430
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Freed up a ton of space, I actually have a walkway from the inside door to the outside now, so well worth it from that perspective.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 02:25 PM   #431
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Been working on the car a bit lately, friend of mine helped me bolt the suspension back up a few days ago.

Today I finished up the radiator hoses, then ran the brake lines for the drivers side.

Need to find the clip that holds the brake line on the bracket in the wheel well, but pretty happy with how everything is lining up so far. Still need to run a line to connect to the rear brake lines, and a line to connect the passenger side front brake caliper.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 07:34 AM   #432
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Looks like one of those 90 degree bends has the radiator hose kinked pretty good. Not worried about any detriment that may have to flow?

Actually, that looks like an old hose, not the new line you ran!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Sep 6, 2021, 09:22 AM   #433
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Looks like one of those 90 degree bends has the radiator hose kinked pretty good. Not worried about any detriment that may have to flow?

Actually, that looks like an old hose, not the new line you ran!
I think it's just the angle, none of the hoses are kinked. I had some hoses on hand from previous cars that worked for the top hoses, I put those together yesterday as well. The single Gates hose on the bottom cost me $45, so I wasn't really stoked about buying 4 hoses to cannibalize for this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 07:34 PM   #434
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Didn't take pics of everything I did today but got a lot done.

Power steering lines are made, and you can also see I trimmed back the bracket that holds the power steering pump on.

Lines at the steering rack:

And where I think the power steering reservoir will live. Need to build a bracket and modify the line, but it's got just enough room there, even if the motor shifts when driving.

I also finished the front brake lines and the clutch slave line, but didn't take any pictures. I still have two more small hard lines to make for the rear brakes, but that won't take too long to do.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 08:02 AM   #435
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Looking really good Elysian You think it’ll be ready for a test run before winter?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 08:04 AM   #436
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Looking really good Elysian You think it’ll be ready for a test run before winter?
It has to be, I need to get it inspected and registered here in Texas before we move
Old Sep 13, 2021, 09:09 AM   #437
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It has to be, I need to get it inspected and registered here in Texas before we move
Keep those wrenches turning!
Old Sep 13, 2021, 02:11 PM   #438
Elysian
SCAATSJW

So I talked to a friend earlier, he told me to get it registered as an antique vehicle, then it wouldn't require inspection. Gonna do that this week.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 02:28 PM   #439
Nunz
RIP Roxen

What year is it? I thought there was a minimum age to qualify as antique.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 02:37 PM   #440
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
What year is it? I thought there was a minimum age to qualify as antique.
25 years in Texas, it's an 88.

I think I didn't go that route originally because I was planning on driving it more... Now I'm planning on moving
Old Nov 20, 2021, 04:08 PM   #441
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Need to put the E30 in storage temporarily so we can show the house, so today I got it on the ground. However, the VERY cheap wheels I bought were for an E38 7 series, so they are much larger than normal E30 wheels. They're only 16" rims but the tires are very large. The 17s I'll be running have a similar outer diameter, so I used the opportunity to properly fit them. That involved some minor sledge hammering on the front and cutting the rear out for the widebody over fenders.

The front drivers side tire does rub slightly at full lock to the left, but otherwise has free range of motion. I also raised the ride height as much as possible, and have basically confirmed I need different springs.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 05:57 PM   #442
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Today was all about the front end. I probably did things backwards, but I don't care I got a ton done. Started with the Aerocatch hood latches, wow I love them.

While the primer was drying on the hood I moved to the fenders. Major interferience, was a similar story with the 17s when I had them on there.

Chopped them out for the wide body overfender, but didn't take it as far as I probably could because I'm not ready to mount the wide body kit yet, so just roughed it in with enough room to steer

After both fenders were attached I put in the headlights and the headlight trim, as well as the lower panel for the bumper.

That's where I left off, but I feel extremely accomplished today. Next steps are install the rear differential and driveshaft, install the e-brake handle, and make sure the e-brake works. I only need the car to be able to stop via e-brake to get it out of the garage.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 06:07 PM   #443
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Looks bad ass!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2021, 09:57 AM   #444
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks great.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 02:50 PM   #445
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Installed the diff, bolted the driveshaft and axles up, got the e-brake working, and bolted the fuel cell back in the trunk. Also finished the rear brake lines (not pictured when I took this shot). Big progress today.

Last edited by Elysian : Nov 27, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 04:05 PM   #446
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Man Elysian…nice work bud. You’re at that “I can see it now” stage. Very nice
Old Dec 4, 2021, 05:48 PM   #447
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My garage is as clean as its ever been, and I also took a moment to fill the motor with oil and prime the oil system, check for leaks in the oil pan I modified. Can report back, several hours after I filled it, zero oil spots. Oil pan is completely sealed and I'm extremely happy about that.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 08:40 PM   #448
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My other E30 is now ready to be taken away. I'm giving it to my buddy, who will no doubt turn it into a drift missile. Can't wait to see what he does.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 05:04 PM   #449
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And I finally transferred both titles on the E30s. I was really worried I'd have issues with both of them and not be able to transfer, but a friend of mine recommended a title service to me, went there and got it knocked out, paid some minor penalties for taking too long to transfer, and that's it.

So my red E30 no longer will have to be track only, I'll be able to register it, and for that I am extremely stoked.

My friend who is getting the blue one will also be able to street drive that one, and that is a huge win. I never thought the blue one would see the road again, but here we are!
Old Dec 11, 2021, 03:15 PM   #450
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The car that started this thread is now gone, my buddy hauled it off a bit ago. Glad it's going to a new owner who will have the time and will to work on it. I bet it'll be on the road again this year.