Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 14, 2021, 08:48 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Blade of Darkness is getting an updated re-release on Steam and on GOG

No GOG page up yet, but here is the Steam page for it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...e_of_Darkness/

I am actually excited for this.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2021, 09:05 AM   #2
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Tats both awesome and **** at the same time. Awesome cause more recognition and availability, but **** cause it has not aged well in the controls.

This is one game that genuinely needs a remake or sequel.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 09:41 AM   #3
zizbuka
Judgemental Old Guy

zizbuka can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzizbuka can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I own the original on GOG, the screenshots from Steam page don't look very 'updated', but there's no store page on GOG now. Hmmm........
zizbuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 14, 2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizbuka View Post
I own the original on GOG, the screenshots from Steam page don't look very 'updated', but there's no store page on GOG now. Hmmm........
Blade of Darkness was removed from GOG back in 2014, due to Codemasters's losing distribution rights.

https://www.gog.com/forum/blade_of_d..._catalog/page1

Eventually there is going to be a GOG page for the game.

Also, it is not a graphics update, but a tech update to make it work better for modern PCs in stability, as well as adding wide screen resolution and up to 4k. So graphically it is going to look the same.

From Steam page

Quote:
With this edition we've re-engineered the game to work on modern PC hardware, added widescreen support up to 4K resolution, introduced new display settings, and improved its overall stability. At the same time, the gameplay, content, and the story are untouched — featuring all the game’s quirks and charm.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2021, 05:21 PM   #5
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Holy mother**** of all ****ing ****tits this is great news. Will happily buy a 3rd copy on Steam, assuming $19.99 or less. In for widescreen support. Tired of finagling a 1920 x 1440 custom resolution every time I upgrade my drivers, and tired of not being able to force V-Sync.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:36 PM   #6
ALien8ed
Radeon R420

ALien8ed is still being judged by the masses

The demo is available on Steam if you want to try it before release.
ALien8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:50 PM   #7
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Okay so I tried the demo out for a bit. 90% of the reason to get this is compatibility with newer OS/GPU. 10% is for greater than 4:3 aspect ratio support. Sound is the same quality. Graphics are the same quality. Can't use mouse in game menu (the same as before). There's an FOV adjustment as well. I didn't test it.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 06:56 AM   #8
azalea
Radeon R520

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

Good enough for me. I always loved the Barbarian first level, with the atmospheric dusk lighting and music.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 08:11 AM   #9
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea View Post
Good enough for me. I always loved the Barbarian first level, with the atmospheric dusk lighting and music.
The whole game was amazing. Except the dwarf. **** dwarves.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 09:23 AM   #10
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

The dwarf was my favorite. He lived by the dodge attack. Fast, responsive. Game was amazing as one of the first indie PC games I played. Each Player Character had a cometely different style to master, and had their own learning curve for getting gud.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 06:44 AM   #11
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think this is the game that really impressed with the lighting and resulting shadows.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:08 AM   #12
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I think this is the game that really impressed with the lighting and resulting shadows.
Its also one of the games that showed off why the console wars for the next 15 years were total bullshit, and holding games back for literal decades.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:49 PM   #13
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Still slowly absorbing this re-release.

I wish I could remember all of the things I learned from my many playthroughs from 20 years ago. Relearning them again isn't so bad. There are runes to collect, for instance.

The more times you save, the worse your "rating" gets. I've decided that saving as often as you want is the way to go. Those few achievements aren't worth it.

While I still can't figure out the story behind it, the game is still badass AF.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 05:25 PM   #14
ALien8ed
Radeon R420

ALien8ed is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Blade of Darkness Reforged is a total visual overhaul including minor gameplay enhancements. Alongside new detailed textures, this mod also improved the textures of all characters.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/blade-of-darkness-reforged
ALien8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:30 PM   #15
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

meh. i dont think the combat stayed the test of time. if anything needs modding its that. Or a remake. Normally im not for remakes, i dont like it when they change things, but this game is old enough and clunky enough that a remake would be well recieved.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 01:26 AM   #16
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wtf this game?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:56 AM   #17
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Remaster, remaster, remaster...
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote