Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Lightbulb New CPU + mobo combo

After been brainstorming and discussed with my friends,its better for me to buy a new CPU+mobo.My CPU is too old to handle latest games (although its been o/c like hell).I especially need new CPU bcoz I play games at 1024x768 which is CPU limited(my monitor native res).But I want to ask something:

1)Is Sempron 64 socket 754 is good for gaming?I reads it have good o/cability which is excites me to find its max clock speed but is it better than my current P4?

2)Which one I better buy?Socket 754 or 939?Is Dual Channel DDR in socket 939 improves performance over socket 754 by a wide margin?

3)Between VIA and nForce chipset,which one is better e.g: VIA K8T800 vs. nForce 3 250GB?

I hope you guys can help me,this is a very tough desicion boz I have limited amount of money AND to reduce bottleneck(Im still a student)
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sempron's aren't really for gaming. Go with an athlon 3000+ venice. With that being said, go with socket 939. I'm bias towards NV chipsets.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:35 PM   #3
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless
Sempron's aren't really for gaming. Go with an athlon 3000+ venice. With that being said, go with socket 939. I'm bias towards NV chipsets.
QFT! Venice + Nforce = win
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:46 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
QFT! Venice + RS/RD480 = win
Fixed

I think I'm going to sell my NF4 Ultra + Winnie and pick up a Halibut + Venice within the next month or two I've caught an o/c'ing fever since I picked up this A64 rig. I'm shooting for 2.8GHz
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Since I new to this technology,how do I identify a Venice core?
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

One more thing,the L2 cache reduction didnt bring any huge impact in performance,but in gaming a Sempron 128kB L2 cache is about 12-13% slower than Athlon 64 1MB L2 cache.But the gap closes with a 256kB L2 cache one,here the info from X-Bitlabs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...on-2600_5.html
What do you guys think?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

When you order the CPU from an online retailer, they'll tell you which core revision it is.

As for Sempron... not only does it have less cache but it prevents you from ever installing XP x64 if you want to. And S754 does not have dual channel, so why bother wasting time with older technology?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

You mean I should buy an Athlon 64 s939?And how do I identify Venice core over the rest?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:48 AM   #9
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee
You mean I should buy an Athlon 64 s939?And how do I identify Venice core over the rest?
Venice core is S939 yes.

And I can not tell you how to visually identify if it's a Venice, Winchester, SanDiego, or NewCastle core... the reseller/retailer will simply label it as such. If they don't, then ask them.

When the CPU is installed, you can use this program to confirm what core version it is:
http://www.cpuid.com
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:57 AM   #10
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

OK thanks Gator (and the rest).Wait till I get enough money,im almost have it....if not I will buy Sempron s754+DFI LanParty NF3 250GB.Oh forgot to ask,what mobo good for o/cing s939?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 09:30 AM   #11
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Venice cores are rev E3, but don't actually say "E3" anywhere. You have to go by the last two digits in the first string of letters & numbers on the IHS. If the code ends in "BP" it's an E3 rev processor.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote