Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Best Deal for Monitor/TV Combo?

I posted a thread in the Off Topic about moving out on my own with a friend (yay oxymoron) into an apartment. Together we have all the furniture and stuff we'd need. The only thing missing, that isn't really necessary unless you visit Rage3D, is a nice high-resolution display for my computer and 360. Neither of us watch TV so we don't care about a digital cable box, necessary HD tuner, or anything of that sort. All I want is a set with DVI for my computer, and component for my 360.

The Westinghouse 24" LCD monitor looks real nice, and is really cheap. I'm not sure if 24" is big enough though for a 360 display. I'll have to see how big our living area is (it's gonna be small, but how small I don't know).

Another one I was looking at was a 32" Olevia recertified on Newegg. I'm not too sure about Olevia quality (although it did have a 5-star review), and how that'd do as a PC monitor. Guess I could stick to my 19" widescreen LCD for the PC, and just use the 32" for the 360.

So what type of monitor/TV should I get, and what's the best place to score a cheap deal?
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

tranCendenZ is still being judged by the masses

My vote goes to the Dell 2707WFP:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=222-7315

Going to cost you some extra bucks, but I think you'll appreciate the quality and extra size.

If thats really out of your league, the 24" one is great too - not quite as nice of an exterior though:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5647

Whatever you get, make sure it has DVI-HDCP or HDMI so you are future proofed. The component input for the 360 is also a good idea, though remember you can get away with simply using a VGA input & the 360 VGA cable on a monitor like this:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-6095

That'll save you a good $270 (though it will limit expansion for future devices like Wii).

Last edited by tranCendenZ : Dec 9, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
tranCendenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I just realized Newegg gives 12 months of no interest, no payments instead of 6. That means I can up my budget at Newegg.

I'm looking at this one now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234002

Also, what's a good pair of 2.1 speakers to pick up that'll run fine straight from the TV (with no amp, etc.)?
lighting up the dark.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:34 AM   #4
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

The Westys are awesome, I have the 47" and love it.

as for speakers, its pretty much a line out on the tv, it does not have amped speaker terminals. So if you want good 2.1 on the cheap without considering a receiver, look for a PC 2.1 system.

These will be good for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836119008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836119105

your logitechs should work just fine too.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Arrow

I had a spare AR powered sub; so when I got the new bedroom tv(sharp 32gp1u) I made sure it had a subout.....tv speakers + sub sounds great.
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:08 PM   #6
ScottDoom
It's Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
your logitechs should work just fine too.
I figured my Logitech speakers would work great. I used to plug them into the headphone jack of my old SDTV when watching movies. The Westinghouse doesn't mention (or picture) a headphone jack though. It's probably there though, right? If not, I guess I could get an adapter for L/R output.
lighting up the dark.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:25 AM   #7
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

westys have L/R RCA jacks, so an adapter will work.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:56 AM   #8
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Have you looked at the Samsung 245T?

From the reviews it's supposed to be an amazing panel without many of the hiccups that the Dell panels have. Westy's are ok, but from the monitor was checking out the review said, it's cheap but there are other cheap ones out there, and they used very bad control electronics for the non-pc inputs, with a subpar panel.

Never owned one, so this is just what a review said. Of course the Samsung will be in around the 7-800 dollar mark where as the Westy 24 is around 500.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote