Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:23 AM   #6091
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I might not buy a used current gen card at this point. But nothing wrong with still buying current gen when new cards are close to release. Just because something new comes out doesn't mean the last gen stuff is all of a sudden trash.

Matter of fact probably better to buy current right now simply because availability and pricing coming back to normal. When the new stuff launches its going to be hard to get and expensive. Who wants to deal with that bullshit again.

and if the faster 4000's end up cheaper or the same MSRP's ?

with the recession we are most likely already in and will be for the next year or so
if it doesn't get even worse

sales won't be even close to as high with mining in the toilet and no more free covid bucks and not being locked in
with 5 to 7+ buck a gallon gas and food costing 2 and 3 times what it was a lot of people won't be buying toys or anything they don't have to
and video cards fall into the i don't really need it category for 99% of people in harder times

so AMD & NV will need to be careful with pricing as sales will be much lower
i to was expecting higher pricing but not now most likely same MSRP pricing
and aftermarket cards like Asus will not be as nuts most likely go back to the RTX 2000's and only being about 200 more than FE's

i would wait till the reveal events and we see what's what in pricing and performance
you can always buy a last gen card even cheaper then or for a month or to after the new card come out

Last edited by bill dennison : Jul 3, 2022 at 11:33 AM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2022, 05:32 PM   #6092
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Pricing may be based on market conditions and competitional forces. Based on rumors, there may be a 03 derivative coming to desktop this round so this makes it kinda tough to gauge pricing based on the historicals. There is also the point of possibly too many Ampere inventories that may effect the pricing and launch dates of Ada.

What I learned, there is demand and a market for $1,000+ desktop GPU products, so I doubt that this will change from Nvidia and Amd.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:18 PM   #6093
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Pricing may be based on market conditions and competitional forces. Based on rumors, there may be a 03 derivative coming to desktop this round so this makes it kinda tough to gauge pricing based on the historicals. There is also the point of possibly too many Ampere inventories that may effect the pricing and launch dates of Ada.

What I learned, there is demand and a market for $1,000+ desktop GPU products, so I doubt that this will change from Nvidia and Amd.
Quote:
Intel’s Latest Graphics Driver For Arc GPUs Improves Synthetic Benchmark Performance But Leaves Gaming Performance In The Dust
Quote:
Advanced Performance Optimizations: A new feature now available within Arc Control that allows users to select and enable advanced application optimizations. The initial implementation of the feature only affects 3DMark Timespy and 3DMark Port Royale
doesn't that get a non VALID RESULT ?

Quote:
Also, wouldn't it be better for Intel to have a feature like this for games too, and not just synthetic benchmarks? I am sure gamers play AAA titles more than they play 3DMark in real world.

https://wccftech.com/intel-arc-graph...e-dust/?beta=1

i don't expect Intel this year -- just a feeling

Last edited by bill dennison : Jul 3, 2022 at 10:23 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:19 PM   #6094
jimjobob
Radeon Caribbean Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Upgraded from a 3080 that I’ve had for the past year and a half to a 3090 and got about 1/2 to 2/3 the performance gain I got going from 2080ti to 3080. Some games that run well enough I was using DSR or in game resolution scaling to render higher than 4K, I got a huge bump in how far I could push it.
The way I see it, if I can’t get a 40 series right away, at least I got that improvement till I can and I get to start enjoying it now (if I had time to play anything any way). If I do get one right away, I’ll just sell it.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2022, 07:14 AM   #6095
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
and if the faster 4000's end up cheaper or the same MSRP's ? ...
Well I hope you're right but I just don't see it happening.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2022, 08:30 AM   #6096
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
Upgraded from a 3080 that I’ve had for the past year and a half to a 3090 and got about 1/2 to 2/3 the performance gain I got going from 2080ti to 3080. Some games that run well enough I was using DSR or in game resolution scaling to render higher than 4K, I got a huge bump in how far I could push it.
The way I see it, if I can’t get a 40 series right away, at least I got that improvement till I can and I get to start enjoying it now (if I had time to play anything any way). If I do get one right away, I’ll just sell it.
Good call. Should’ve gone 3090 Ti to get even more separation.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:18 PM   #6097
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096L7M4XR?ta=undefined&th=1

finely is about where it should have been

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...12G-P5-3969-KR
same

999 and i maybe go for one and skip the high watt 4000's
Old Jul 8, 2022, 06:50 AM   #6098
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
999 and i maybe go for one and skip the high watt 4000's
If the rumored specs are to be believed even a 4070 should be worth waiting for.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia...of-300w-rumor/

Last edited by acroig : Jul 8, 2022 at 08:51 AM.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:36 AM   #6099
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
If the rumored specs are to be believed even a 4070 should be worth waiting for.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia...of-300w-rumor/
rumored performance always falls short and sometimes by a lot

and if rumored watt usage to performance is too high i may not want a 4000
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:18 PM   #6100
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
rumored performance always falls short and sometimes by a lot

and if rumored watt usage to performance is too high i may not want a 4000
We'll see but AMD cards also look power hungry.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:35 PM   #6101
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Even if the 4080/4090 use more power by default, they'll still be faster at the same wattage as the 3080/3080ti.

3080ti @ 373watt absolutely crushes a 2080ti @ 373watt. The "avoid high power cards" argument is kind of silly when you can simply lock lower voltages if you want lower power use.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:36 PM   #6102
acroig
Troll SMod

Excellent point.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:41 PM   #6103
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

It's been warmer, so instead of turning up the fans on my loop, I just locked my card at .850mv. Easy peasy.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jul 8, 2022, 01:25 PM   #6104
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
We'll see but AMD cards also look power hungry.
but lower than the 4000's

the rx 7950 xt maybe high as the 4000's but the rest should be about like the 3000's or lower
Old Jul 9, 2022, 05:51 PM   #6105
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I'm not that desperate to upgrade next gen. If they're available I will certainly do so, but if availability is low I will just make do until it improves. With crypto in the crapper (where it belongs), I don't expect it's going to be a serious problem to get a card next gen.

Regarding the rumor of Nvidia delaying the next gen release, I don't know how long they can actually delay unless AMD's release has also been pushed back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Even if the 4080/4090 use more power by default, they'll still be faster at the same wattage as the 3080/3080ti.

3080ti @ 373watt absolutely crushes a 2080ti @ 373watt. The "avoid high power cards" argument is kind of silly when you can simply lock lower voltages if you want lower power use.
I usually reduce the power limit on my cards for this reason. Especially on the AIB cards, they are usually pushed well into the diminishing returns area of the frequency voltage curve, so if you cut power by 25-30% you may only lose 5-10% performance. Then I just crank it up in situations where I need the absolute most performance, which usually isn't actually that much.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2022, 07:32 PM   #6106
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yes but they are dropping production of next gen silicon by a lot. Both Nv and AMD will do everything they can to keep those stupid prices high.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2022, 09:10 PM   #6107
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I think it's just costing a lot more and due to the global economy being what it is, a lot of these companies are projecting significant drop in demand. NV and AMD can't afford to produce a ton of chips and then be stuck with them - look at Ampere and Navi2 ; both are easily obtainable, prices have plummeted, and they still can't get them off the shelves. Stock has been ample for months now, and most of that is driven by the end of COVID restrictions as well as the looming recession/increase in pricing for necessary goods.

COVID saw the tech sector explode due to many being holed up and exploring new outlets. Demand will shrink significantly now and they're just prepping for the worst. NV/AMD are better off not making enough cards than making too many.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:43 PM   #6108
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I think it's just costing a lot more and due to the global economy being what it is, a lot of these companies are projecting significant drop in demand. NV and AMD can't afford to produce a ton of chips and then be stuck with them - look at Ampere and Navi2 ; both are easily obtainable, prices have plummeted, and they still can't get them off the shelves. Stock has been ample for months now, and most of that is driven by the end of COVID restrictions as well as the looming recession/increase in pricing for necessary goods.

COVID saw the tech sector explode due to many being holed up and exploring new outlets. Demand will shrink significantly now and they're just prepping for the worst. NV/AMD are better off not making enough cards than making too many.
this

with with gas here still 5.29 a gal and food costing 2x or more people aren't going to be buying a lot of toys this year or next

and a lot of people just bought 3000's or 6000's at very high prices so they can wait till next time for hopper and RDNA 4

so i thing prices low as they can get them and the return of 2 or 3 free games with a card

hell if they price the new cards too high i will grab a cheap 3080 ti Strix or EVGA 3080 ti to go with my 6900 xt and wait till next time
i expect the 3080 ti's to drop about 200 more before the new cards hit
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:55 AM   #6109
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Prices are still mostly over the initial MSRP for retail sku's and Nvidia's forecast for their gaming segment is still strong for next quarter.

I think the mistakes made by Nvidia is forecasting and planning for past mining demand which must be so difficult. In a weakened economy, many consumers may still stay at home and maybe entertained through technologies, so there may be still strong demand. The key is Ampere inventories and will this effect launch dates and pricing for Ada?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 06:45 AM   #6110
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
The key is Ampere inventories and will this effect launch dates and pricing for Ada?
This. I expect pricing to be higher, no way 4080 FE costs $699 this time.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 08:21 AM   #6111
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Prices are still mostly over the initial MSRP for retail sku's and Nvidia's forecast for their gaming segment is still strong for next quarter.

I think the mistakes made by Nvidia is forecasting and planning for past mining demand which must be so difficult. In a weakened economy, many consumers may still stay at home and maybe entertained through technologies, so there may be still strong demand. The key is Ampere inventories and will this effect launch dates and pricing for Ada?
Yea and at the tail end of this generation when prices usually are clearance. They simply like their much higher prices which imo has exceeded normal inflation by way too much. If some uber end had been pushed like they used to do with dual gpu boards Id understand but a single gpu board at 2k or more MSRP? Just nuts.

In Canada prices in some cases are over msrp still.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2022, 07:05 AM   #6112
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Hopefully, this is accurate info Pax and the prices of this current generation are dropping below MSRP in China. From a consumer stand point would be nice to see this in North America and Europe.

https://videocardz.com/newz/gpu-pric...p-models-at-38
Old Jul 11, 2022, 07:14 AM   #6113
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I've found an ASUS 3090TI TUF for $1700. STRIX 3090 for $1450.. prices have come down significantly. At these prices, I'd skip the 3080 and 3090, and go for 3080TI or 3090TI. 3090TI is quite a specimen.. running much higher clocks at lower voltages than the previous cards.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 09:30 PM   #6114
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yup my 3090 Ti boosts to 2010-2025 with out me doing anything.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 06:19 AM   #6115
Nunz
RIP Roxen

3090TI TUF is down to $1499 brand new

That's a great deal
Old Jul 12, 2022, 06:31 AM   #6116
KAC
Whatever

That’s nearly what I paid for my EVGA, courtesy Riptide.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 06:33 AM   #6117
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Prices are plummeting. There's an open-box 3080TI TUF for less than $999.

Great time to be looking for a GPU. If the 3090TI didn't require a new block, I'd probably grab that 3090TI TUF just to break a few more world records
Old Jul 12, 2022, 08:11 AM   #6118
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

That's a great deal
If a person waited this long, DON'T BUY NOW. Wait for the 4080 or whatever.

Like you said...
Quote:
Old Jul 12, 2022, 08:34 AM   #6119
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Imho,

Must be tougher to sell sku's around that $1000 plus price points being close to a new generation and competition from used sku's. Curious to see Nvidia revenue numbers for Q2 and what the guidance is for Q3.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 08:46 AM   #6120
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:

That's a great deal
Extra $20 off at MC plus 5% off with their card.

I would never buy Asus again after the outrageous ripoffs they pulled during the pandemic.