Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old Jun 19, 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
windmiller
Radeon R700

Location: United States Dimly lit support center somewhere in NC.
windmiller is still being judged by the masses

Default Antec Thermal Grease vs. Artic Thermal Compound??

I need to use a thermal compund to mix with Artic Alumina Adhesive so that if anythign goes wrong in applting my Ram Sinks I can remove them.

The question....is Antec Thernmal Grease the same as Artic Thermal Compund...will the Antec Thermal Grease at my local Intrex work for this purpose....

evberywhere I read to add a thermal compund.....

the reason is I can get Antec Thermal Grease locally but I have to order Artic Thermnal Compund via Internet

thanks...
Old Jun 20, 2002, 04:03 AM   #2
original MADCAP
Radeon R300

original MADCAP is still being judged by the masses

Don't use either. They contain silver, and defeat the purpose of using the Arctic Alumina. You can really fry the card(I know). For this purpose just go to Radio Shack and get the regular white silicon thermal grease/paste. This will just dilute the mixture a bit. If you have a little packet of white stuff from an old build, use this as well. If you insist you can always order the Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound to dilute, but this is a "big time" waste.

Radio Shack white stuff is the way to go, and it's only a couple bucks tops.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 09:25 AM   #3
windmiller
Radeon R700

Madcap....your confused....none of the products I am using contain Silver...

I am using Artic Alumina Adhesive and I want to mix it with A Thermal Compound...namely Antec's Thermal Grease......what I want to know is....can I mix the two with good results or do I need to but Artics Thermal Compound (the ceramic, non-conductive one).
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 20, 2002, 06:25 PM   #4
original MADCAP
Radeon R300

original MADCAP is still being judged by the masses

Well I pretty much answered it right, but I just got to the bottom of it.

The Antec thermal paste I saw on the shelf last time was the Silver stuff. But this is called Antec "Reference". So this is the stuff you don't want to use. But they also have the little packets of white silicon grease I mentioned, and bag a few of these together and call it Antec Thermal Grease. This is the stuff that is fine. The little generic packets(that Antec packages, and is included with most heatsinks), and the Radio Shack stuff is the same. You can use this to dilute the bond of the epoxy.

Like I said, if you want you can order the Arctic Alumina Compound to add to the epoxy. But this to me would be a large waste.

I just sucked it up, and did a regular 1:1 mixture of the Alumina epoxy, and it works great. I just trust nothing will happen. Diluting the mixture with silicon grease should give you good results as well and hopefully give you some extra sleep at night. I have done this before with another card, but the Alumina didn't exist at the time. But the epoxy looked to have the same properties, and I'm sure will act the same.

So to recap, white silicon grease will do the job. If you want to spend more and wait get a tube of Alumina Compound.

I know what I would do. Get the cheaper stuff. Ram doesn't get as hot as a CPU, so the difference would be nill. Hell you're hard pressed to convince a lot of people there's a difference between white silicon compound, and Arctic Silver. For a ram application it should work just fine.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 02:00 PM   #5
windmiller
Radeon R700

Thx Madcap!!!! I appreciate your advice...just what I was looking for....someone who had done the same thing!!!

Im going to do it this weekend....