Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 30, 2020, 09:45 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

The items I had purchased on Amazon that are shipping from China have all been indefinitely delayed due to the Chinese government putting a ban on shipping items to the states. I did not realize the items where coming from China till I revived the Email apology that the shipping would be delayed.

That is fine I would not have opened the package for 2 weeks anyway!

Biden noted in his reply that the COVID-19 cure “will make the problem worse, no matter what.”
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2020, 09:59 AM   #182
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
The items I had purchased on Amazon that are shipping from China have all been indefinitely delayed due to the Chinese government putting a ban on shipping items to the states. I did not realize the items where coming from China till I revived the Email apology that the shipping would be delayed.

That is fine I would not have opened the package for 2 weeks anyway!
When was that ban put in place? Every google hit I get is about the trade wars....my wife just got 2 or 3 items from China over the past week, but they were ordered 2-3 weeks ago...
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:19 PM   #183
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Coronavirus spreads for first time in U.S., CDC says
Quote:
A person living with the patient diagnosed in Chicago has tested positive for the new coronavirus.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-says-n1126566

wonder how much the close contact has been running around town
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 30, 2020, 01:23 PM   #184
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2020, 01:36 PM   #185
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Old Jan 30, 2020, 01:42 PM   #186
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
When was that ban put in place? Every google hit I get is about the trade wars....my wife just got 2 or 3 items from China over the past week, but they were ordered 2-3 weeks ago...
They are not calling it a ban, they extended the Lunar holiday due to the Wuhan virus outbreak. Word play I know but that was how it was explained to me. My order was much more recent.

Biden noted in his reply that the COVID-19 cure “will make the problem worse, no matter what.”
Old Jan 30, 2020, 01:47 PM   #187
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

World Health Organization: Declares coronvirus a public health emergency

Old Jan 30, 2020, 02:13 PM   #188
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

CDC confirms first human-to-human transmission of coronavirus in the U.S.
Abby Haglage
Yahoo LifestyleJanuary 30, 2020
Scroll back up to restore default view.

As cases of the novel coronavirus known as 2019-nCoV continue to increase — topping 7,700 globally on Thursday — the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported a sixth case in the U.S. Unlike the five previous cases — which were contracted abroad — officials say this infection was spread through person-to-person contact on U.S. soil.

Nancy Messonnier, MD, director of the CDC’s national center for immunization and respiratory diseases, said Thursday in a press call that the case centers on a married couple in Chicago. The woman, described as being in her 60s, tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a trip to Wuhan, China in mid-January. As she was being treated in the hospital, her husband, who had been in close contact with her physically, tested positive for the virus as well.

Although the news may be alarming, Messonnier stresses that it’s not a reason to panic.

“Despite the fact that we are reporting the first instance of person-to-person contact [in the U.S.], it’s important to note that this spread was among two people who were in close contact for an extended period of time,” said Messonnier. “I understand why this may cause people to be worried about how this may affect them. This is a very serious health situation... moving forward we can expect to see more cases.”

CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, MD, added that experts had suspected that the novel coronavirus would likely spread via human-to-human contact.

“Given what we’ve seen in China and other countries with the novel coronavirus, CDC experts have expected some person-to-person spread in the US,” Redfield said in a statement. “We understand that this may be concerning, but based on what we know now, we still believe the immediate risk to the American public is low.”

-=-=-=-=-

So this is based on on what? the exponential infection rate in China? The fact this guy in Hoffman Est has been walking around for the last how many days before he presented and tested positive yet was infectious. He could have interacted with hundreds of people in that time. How many people did she interact with in that time. They make it sound like she stayed in the hospital when others say she did not. The local news my cousins down there saw say they reported she went home when she got the option.

So much misinformation in this article. I guess it is to make us feel better/ safer. But I guess I am not so low IQ and UN-educated that I would believe that junk and feel better. Tell it to me strait and I will feel better. I got friends and family in that town. Makes me grumpy. Sorry

Old Jan 30, 2020, 02:21 PM   #189
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Really hope no one is panicking about this. These kinds of viruses tend to peter out quick. Its from the same family of viruses as what causes the common cold. We just are getting better at identifying them. And soon we'll be able to see that such viruses are mutating very often, in some cases every few months. Take some basic precautions, especially if you are old and or frail, but dont stop going to work or anything drastic...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2020, 02:36 PM   #190
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Jan 30, 2020, 03:00 PM   #191
soylent
Hufu

soylent is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
keep it out of the eyes I think
In practice it definitely stops you from absent-mindedly touching your face, like scratching an itch near your eye. It's not an airborne virus, but it can spread from small water drops from someone sneezing or coughing right next to you; this could keep large drops away from your face but won't really do much for smaller drops if you sit next to someone hacking their lungs out.

Precautions:
Keep locked up. Do not ingest. Do not breathe dust. Avoid contact with eyes. Wear suitable protective clothing. If ingested,
seek medical advice immediately and show the container or the label. Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing
agents, acids.
soylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2020, 05:02 PM   #192
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Really hope no one is panicking about this. These kinds of viruses tend to peter out quick. Its from the same family of viruses as what causes the common cold. We just are getting better at identifying them. And soon we'll be able to see that such viruses are mutating very often, in some cases every few months. Take some basic precautions, especially if you are old and or frail, but dont stop going to work or anything drastic...
not yet really

but since it is in LA and Chicago

and rats can get and carry some forms of coronavirus how about this one ?

and it is the year of the rat in china
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:12 AM   #193
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Latest update:

- Chinese authorities reported 213 deaths and over 9,100 confirmed cases
- The virus has now spread to every region in mainland China
- At least 19 other territories outside mainland China reported confirmed cases of the virus
- WHO declared the virus was a public health emergency of international concern
- Strict biosecurity measures have been put in place in parts of the world
- Several countries including the US, Australia, Japan and India are evacuating their citizens from Wuhan

Would not call it panic. I would call it dislike of mis information.
I have family in the same town with this that already have compromised immune systems due to other health issues. Proper information can keep them safe.

Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:56 AM   #194
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
have been put in place in parts of the world
- Several countries including the US, Australia, Japan and India are evacuating their citizens from Wuhan
forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is the incubation period even known? Or are all these people that are being evacuated possibly already infected they just aren't symptomaitc yet and won't be for a couple of weeks (or won't have virus levels high enought to be detected on any test for a couple of weeks)? you know, after they get hoime and come into contact with thousands...

EDIT:

Just saw this article:
https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/c...hnk/index.html

Quote:

There’s no doubt after reading this paper that asymptomatic transmission is occurring,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “This study lays the question to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.

Last edited by wabbitslayer : Jan 31, 2020 at 11:01 AM.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:08 PM   #195
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

While corona viruses are well known the contagion ability can vary. Its likely millions were exposed and the number of exposed/infected with no symptoms is probably a lot higher than the 10 000 with symptoms. We have been exposed to corona viruses for eons so we have a high level of immunity to it. Adding yearly vaccines to that natural immunity helps immensely as well... Theres a study that showed with cumulative vaccination that one can gain a more general increase in immunity to families of viruses.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 01:19 PM   #196
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

CDC sent this out today received it at work a few min ago: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:02 PM   #197
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Despite the upgraded threat and things, there is a bit of a silver lining starting to come out...

According to this: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6 , the number of people who have recovered from it is now more than the number that have died of it (less than 50% death rate, and for reason mentioned a few pages back, I do expect this to drop significantly).

Also worth mentioning that the only deaths from the disease have happened in mainland China, and even then, the vast majority of deaths have been in the city where it originated. It seems like treatment and quarantine efforts are having a positive effect, even if there are areas of China where treatment options are currently overwhelmed.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:33 PM   #198
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
Despite the upgraded threat and things, there is a bit of a silver lining starting to come out...

According to this: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6 , the number of people who have recovered from it is now more than the number that have died of it (less than 50% death rate, and for reason mentioned a few pages back, I do expect this to drop significantly).

Also worth mentioning that the only deaths from the disease have happened in mainland China, and even then, the vast majority of deaths have been in the city where it originated. It seems like treatment and quarantine efforts are having a positive effect, even if there are areas of China where treatment options are currently overwhelmed.
From everything the CDC has sent out so far the death rate is well below 10% (at least that is what has been said int he Emails and on the phone calls) but the infection rate is higher than anything in recent flu history.
People can be infected for up to a week and a half while not presenting symptoms all the while be infecting others around them.
Then they have the flu combined with respiratory issues that lasts for a week or two ending in pneumonia and it is the pneumonia that kills them in their now weakened from flu state. All the while they are possibly still infectious. Normal flu and respiratory infections they know when it is safe to go back to work and you will not infect everyone. This one they do not have a handle on yet. And in the US it is not legal to force some one to stay in lock down unless they agree. That is how the lady in IL was able to go walking around in while still infectious. Hopefully not much in public. But her husband did while infected.

Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:46 PM   #199
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
From everything the CDC has sent out so far the death rate is well below 10% (at least that is what has been said int he Emails and on the phone calls) but the infection rate is higher than anything in recent flu history.
People can be infected for up to a week and a half while not presenting symptoms all the while be infecting others around them.
Then they have the flu combined with respiratory issues that lasts for a week or two ending in pneumonia and it is the pneumonia that kills them in their now weakened from flu state. All the while they are possibly still infectious. Normal flu and respiratory infections they know when it is safe to go back to work and you will not infect everyone. This one they do not have a handle on yet. And in the US it is not legal to force some one to stay in lock down unless they agree. That is how the lady in IL was able to go walking around in while still infectious. Hopefully not much in public. But her husband did while infected.
almost like it is designed or manufactured
Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:47 PM   #200
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah and the earth is flat and we're being lied to
Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:48 PM   #201
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

once again:

we need to cull the herd. let mother nature do her thing
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 04:04 PM   #202
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Yeah and the earth is flat and we're being lied to

and we are always " being lied to " .

are govt. and press have 1000's of Harcourt Fenton Mudd clones
Old Jan 31, 2020, 04:22 PM   #203
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
It's a pretty poorly designed virus if it's not really killing many people.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 04:42 PM   #204
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
It's a pretty poorly designed virus if it's not really killing many people.
Not really.

(I don't believe it was manufactured, btw.)

There are two factors to consider: how easily it spreads and the fatality rate (CFR).

The Spanish Flu only had a CFR of 2.1% to 2.4% yet it was highly contagious: 500 million people were infected and 20 to 50 million people died.

I'm fun at parties.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 05:19 PM   #205
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Not really.

(I don't believe it was manufactured, btw.)

There are two factors to consider: how easily it spreads and the fatality rate (CFR).

The Spanish Flu only had a CFR of 2.1% to 2.4% yet it was highly contagious: 500 million people were infected and 20 to 50 million people died.

I'm fun at parties.
How is the CFR only 2.4 when 20/500 is 4% and 50/500 is 10%?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 07:02 PM   #206
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/b...ronavirus.html

US imposing travel ban on foreign nationals who have been in China

Old Jan 31, 2020, 08:00 PM   #207
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
How is the CFR only 2.4 when 20/500 is 4% and 50/500 is 10%?
You're right. It infected ~2.5% of the population but the CFR was ~10%. CFR is figured only from those infected.

Still, a disease that quickly kills the host can be easier to contain.

What's troubling about the current coronavirus is the time from infection/communicability to the appearance of symptoms (up to 14 days). It is estimated that the disease has an R0 factor of greater than 2 (for everyone one person infected, and average of 2 more people will be infected). So, it's likely that 1000's of Chinese were infected before China quarantined the first symptomatic patients on December 31st.

Last edited by mizzer : Jan 31, 2020 at 08:18 PM.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 08:45 PM   #208
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Well, brother is finally leaving China today as long as he gets a flight out, curious what happens at the airport coming home, his work already told him to take next week off, they don’t want him in, I here he’s staying away from the wife the next week at his second house for a self imposed quarantine.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 09:49 PM   #209
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
once again:

we need to cull the herd. let mother nature do her thing

Personally, I'd rather not be culled because someone else did something dangerous that they've been told not to do

I've taken to checking in daily on that map with the confirmed cases/deaths/recoveries, and while it's back over 50% mortality rate again and the number cases are steadily rising - they're not exponentially rising. If this was a genuine worldwide epidemic, the number of cases wouldn't be jumping only a couple thousand a day, the quarantine efforts are clearly having some effect. It's not over, it's definitely going to be going up for some time... but I don't expect the number of cases in this outbreak to hit 100,000 - about 0.001% of the global population.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2020, 09:59 PM   #210
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

The number of confirmed cases are increasing steadily every day. The biggest issue is that they still don't have enough test kits to go around and not every place knows how to test for it. The CDC in the US has already said it's trying to manufacture kits too and get the ball rolling to help out.

I think once many places have the ability to do more testing, there will be a lot more confirmed cases at a much higher rate.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600