Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 10, 2019, 08:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Overclocking i7 7700k

****NOTE: I broke the title and it should say 4770k not 7700k!!

I haven't really bothered to overclock a CPU in years, but I've read that I can stretch this old CPU a little longer (and potentially throw at least one more generation of graphics card into it).

I think it's a fairly common OC, so thought I would see what people have had for experiences. I'm currently running at 4.2ghz with a Noctua DN15S... this a sweet cooler and my idle temps and load temps are crazy low (30C to 60C). I can run 4.2ghz at stock Vcore as well.

Unfortunately at 4.3ghz or 4.4ghz, even with volts as high as 1.40, I haven't been able to reach stability. My Z97 has a lot of different other settings to play with, but I don't know if it will make a difference. It's possible this chip just won't do 4.4.

Anyway, if you have any experience, lay it on me. Otherwise I'm sure the extra 700Mhz from stock (and 400Mhz from Turbo) is still doing something.

Last edited by Jet Black : Feb 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 09:46 PM   #2
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

I think you'll have to play with the CPU Load-line Calibration and Power Phase control.

You'll hit the limit of air cooling. If you have to use over 1.3vcore you'll need watercooling. With a bit of silicon lottery it can be done.
My 3570k gets super toasty with 1.3v. I'm sure with a little more effort I could hit 4.3 but the minuscule gain in performance isn't worth the trouble.

Back up your stuff just in case the OC bork the Operating System.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I think you'll have to play with the CPU Load-line Calibration and Power Phase control.

You'll hit the limit of air cooling. If you have to use over 1.3vcore you'll need watercooling. With a bit of silicon lottery it can be done.
My 3570k gets super toasty with 1.3v. I'm sure with a little more effort I could hit 4.3 but the minuscule gain in performance isn't worth the trouble.

Back up your stuff just in case the OC bork the Operating System.
I did back my stuff up, so no worries there.

At 1.4v I did hit 88C's and OCCT stopped my stress test, but at 1.3 even at 4.2Ghz (just to test) it never got above 70 with load... so I don't think temps are the issue.

What doyou mean by Load-line Calibration and Power Phase control? It's been ages since I OC'd and back then I just had to beef up the voltage and raise the FSB There's way too many settings now.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 11, 2019, 03:34 AM   #4
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Oh, it looks like you only have a 4770K. In your OP you wrote 7700K, which at 4.3 GHz would be absolutely pathetic.

It's certainly possible that you could be hitting the limits of your chip. It would be a mediocre result but it happens. I recently OC'ed my brother's 4570K and hit 4.5 GHz if I recall (might have been 4.4 GHz even), so these chips don't necessarily go a whole lot further than that.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

1.) Update the bios, latest version is 2.04 for the Z97 FTW. Make sure to restore bios defaults before and after updating.

2.) Set V-Core to 1.3v or 1.35v. DO NOT set the memory timings. Just leave them at default for now. This is just for testing you don't want to run in to issues because the IMC might be poor.

3.) Set 44 for the CPU Ratio/Multi or whatever its called. Save and Reset.

4.) Run OCCT monitoring temps, the CPU will throttle at 98c.

If the system crashes or temps become too high, back off the 44 down to 43 and do a test. Keep monitoring temps unless the system is crashing. If this is occuring then the CPU is just bad at overlcocking.

Once you feel you've reached an acceptable OC then go ahead and set the memory accordingly repeating the tests. If the system begins too crash or temps get too high then IMC is our culprit. You may need to adjust system agent voltage but this will add too heat as well.

You can always DELID and purchase a better cooler.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Oh, it looks like you only have a 4770K. In your OP you wrote 7700K, which at 4.3 GHz would be absolutely pathetic.

It's certainly possible that you could be hitting the limits of your chip. It would be a mediocre result but it happens. I recently OC'ed my brother's 4570K and hit 4.5 GHz if I recall (might have been 4.4 GHz even), so these chips don't necessarily go a whole lot further than that.
**** you're right. I typed it out so many times in Google I f'd up and added more zeros and fewer fours. I'll have to see if I can fix that.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:01 PM   #7
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
1.) Update the bios, latest version is 2.04 for the Z97 FTW. Make sure to restore bios defaults before and after updating.

2.) Set V-Core to 1.3v or 1.35v. DO NOT set the memory timings. Just leave them at default for now. This is just for testing you don't want to run in to issues because the IMC might be poor.

3.) Set 44 for the CPU Ratio/Multi or whatever its called. Save and Reset.

4.) Run OCCT monitoring temps, the CPU will throttle at 98c.

If the system crashes or temps become too high, back off the 44 down to 43 and do a test. Keep monitoring temps unless the system is crashing. If this is occuring then the CPU is just bad at overlcocking.

Once you feel you've reached an acceptable OC then go ahead and set the memory accordingly repeating the tests. If the system begins too crash or temps get too high then IMC is our culprit. You may need to adjust system agent voltage but this will add too heat as well.

You can always DELID and purchase a better cooler.
Thanks! I did mostly this... the only thing I didn't do was put the RAM at Auto (I left XMP on). Do you think that's a big enough problem to try it all again? I am thinking that it's probably just a bad overclocker.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 06:40 AM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Thanks! I did mostly this... the only thing I didn't do was put the RAM at Auto (I left XMP on). Do you think that's a big enough problem to try it all again? I am thinking that it's probably just a bad overclocker.
Yes Memory Speed and the amount of memory ( Total Slots Used ) will have an effect on the Overclocking head room.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Yes Memory Speed and the amount of memory ( Total Slots Used ) will have an effect on the Overclocking head room.
Ok. I am using all four slots as well. Might try again at stock speeds but for 100-200mhz boost, probably better to keep the RAM at 2133mhz from 1600mhz.