Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JarHead
Lurker

JarHead is still being judged by the masses

Default Anyone use the DVI-VGA adapters?

Hey guys, I just got another video card, and the VGA adapter ended up busting. The card is modded like crazy, and it's just how I want it (except for the Broken VGA adapter). So instead of RMAing it right away, I wanted to ask if there is any Performance/Image Quality loss when using a DVI-VGA adapter?

Thanks,
Old Apr 17, 2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Flying Kiwi
Radeon R520

Flying Kiwi is still being judged by the masses

Default Minimal difference

You've not mentioned what monitor you're using and the difference in results will depend on the monitor. I have a monitor which is capable of both analog and digital input (both at 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz) and the difference is minimal. the most notable thing is that I need to press the auto adjust button every now and again when using the analog input otherwise the picture positioning goes out slightly. This is never an issue using the DVI connector. My card is an AIW Radeon 8500DV on this machine with the ATI provided adapter.
Flying Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:45 PM   #3
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies That is indeed a monitor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
You've not mentioned what monitor you're using and the difference in results will depend on the monitor. I have a monitor which is capable of both analog and digital input (both at 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz) and the difference is minimal. the most notable thing is that I need to press the auto adjust button every now and again when using the analog input otherwise the picture positioning goes out slightly. This is never an issue using the DVI connector. My card is an AIW Radeon 8500DV on this machine with the ATI provided adapter.
If the monitor in question is a CRT (computer sort, as opposed to a TV), *absolutely no difference*. In fact, I have *two* DVI-to-VGA dongles (one from my AIW 9700 Pro, the other from the 8500DV it replaced) and can actually use them interchangeably. (Both the AIWs have DVI-out, and neither has a VGA-out.) The difference, if any, would be apparent if the monitor in question had both sorts of *inputs*, and that isn't common for computer-grade CRTs (however, it isn't common for computer-grade LCDs, either, which tend to have either one *or* the other, not both).

In fact, neither AIW has ever known a true DVI display.
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad