Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 20, 2020, 07:41 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

I don't have a RDNA 1 or 2 chip to test this idea, but would you not be able to do your own form of DLSS by making a custom resolution and then using virtual super sampling and Radeon image sharpening?
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:01 PM   #62
Bitey
feck off

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Well I do wonder about the flexibility of AMD ray tracing.

It does not have a fixed portion of the chip dedicated to RT so in theory they could adjust RT performance at the cost of raster performance, would be nice if a user could dial in the % of compute used for RT.

I expect the 6900xt with a few more spare CU's might have a bit more of bump in RT than people expect.

What if they went all out RT and basic raster eg quake II RT
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:14 PM   #63
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well I do wonder about the flexibility of AMD ray tracing.

It does not have a fixed portion of the chip dedicated to RT so in theory they could adjust RT performance at the cost of raster performance, would be nice if a user could dial in the % of compute used for RT.

I expect the 6900xt with a few more spare CU's might have a bit more of bump in RT than people expect.

What if they went all out RT and basic raster eg quake II RT
no it does

Quote:
Each compute unit packs a total of 64 stream processors, 16 texture mapping units, four texture filter units, and a single Ray Accelerator unit that handles the raytracing capabilities of the GPU

https://wccftech.com/review/amd-rade...es-big-navi/2/

6800 xt
so 72 Compute Units = 72 RT Cores

or 6900 xt
80 Compute Units = 80 RT Cores
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:23 PM   #64
Bitey
feck off

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

I could be wrong but each CU can be used for RT OR other operations not both at the same time.
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:43 AM   #65
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

6900XT seems to be quite a contender. Can’t wait to see what is pushes nvidia to bring out in 1-2 months.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 03:01 AM   #66
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I could be wrong but each CU can be used for RT OR other operations not both at the same time.
That was what the rumors were. Turned out to be false. At least from current available info.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:10 AM   #67
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Various aibs are being shown:

More picts at videocardz. Weve already seen the large powercolor but kinda find the XFX is small this time?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:58 AM   #68
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD's Infinity Cache is the MVP of the RX 6000-series, and it's only going to get better
Quote:
But what if a developer did program specifically for Infinity Cache? That's a question raised during an AMD roundtable discussion ahead of the RX 6800 XT and RX 6800 release date, and AMD is quietly optimistic for future performance if a developer were to team up with the red team for a little more juice.

"You know, there is the potential for benefits from providing more direct controls," Pomianowski continues, "we have … quite an extensive set of ways in which the Infinity Cache can be controlled.

"That's something we will we will look at. I mean in our initial interactions with developers we talked to them about ways that, if they understand that the cache is there, that they can perhaps alter how they do their rendering to be more friendly to the cache—get even more benefits out of it, you know, the ways in which you order rendering and place things can realise definite gains."

Perhaps there's even more leverage for a developer to do so with the Xbox Series X, Series S, and PlayStation 5 all utilising the Infinity Cache through the use of RDNA 2 silicon. There's a lot of modern red team silicon around right now, and that's potentially a feather in the hat of AMD as it works to lessen Nvidia's choke-hold on the graphics card market.
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-infinity...x-6800-rdna-2/

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 21, 2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:08 PM   #69
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

They look super cool. At this point though, I'd take anything I could get.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:15 PM   #70
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

In looking for the bottleneck as to why the 3 gpus dont scale to their CU count Im wondering if having the same amount of IF is the issue. Im sure navi3 will have likely double this amount as it obviously works right out of the box fps wise.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:31 PM   #71
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
In looking for the bottleneck as to why the 3 gpus dont scale to their CU count Im wondering if having the same amount of IF is the issue. Im sure navi3 will have likely double this amount as it obviously works right out of the box fps wise.

that maybe or they may just tune driver more for 4k

but this one has a Patent
Quote:
The patent alleges its cache optimization boosts performance 22% - 52% and doubles performance in deep learning applications. These two claims would seem to be how AMD is improving RDNA2's deep-learning substitute for DLSS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...paper_details/
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:56 PM   #72
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Edit:. Nm.link was already posted.. I really hate phones
Old Nov 21, 2020, 05:31 PM   #73
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Overclocked To 2.8 GHz on LN2, Shatters 60K GPU Points in 3DMark Fire Strike Achieving New World Record

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6...-world-record/
Old Nov 21, 2020, 08:42 PM   #74
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Wake me up when they bench Port Royal
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:25 PM   #75
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Wake me up when they bench Port Royal

Wake me up on the 10th when the first really good RT game comes out ....... maybe
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:37 PM   #76
pax
Rage3D Spammer

CP2077 said they are working to make RT work on amd cards. Whic is why they dont list amd cards for RT at all for now. Tells us that even when Nvidia says its just plain DXR it obviously isnt because RT works on nvidia at launch but will need a patch for amd.

Hmm what patch might that be? I suppose a DXR patch?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:42 PM   #77
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Obviously, pax. Benchmarks will be interesting.

Quote:

Wake me up on the 10th when the first really good RT game comes out ....... maybe
There's a few good ones already. I just played through COD Cold War and Metro this week.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:46 PM   #78
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

BS bud! Plenty of good RT games out there..... you know this.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:47 PM   #79
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Obviously, pax. Benchmarks will be interesting.

There's a few good ones already. I just played through COD Cold War and Metro this week.
Metro was good i never got into the COD's

watch dogs: legion could be better if they ever fix it and most of the people are boring
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:54 PM   #80
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
BS bud! Plenty of good RT games out there..... you know this.
Ray tracing games you can play right now:

Amid Evil
Battlefield V............. not my bag
Bright Memory
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)........... not my bag
Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War........... not my bag
Control..................................... = ok a little boring
Crysis Remastered ...................... = not again
Deliver Us The Moon
Fortnite
Ghostrunner
Justice
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus .......................... = good
Minecraft
Moonlight Blade
Pumpkin Jack
Quake II RTX
Shadow of the Tomb Raider............... = fair
Stay in the Light
Watch Dogs Legion..................... = fair
Wolfenstein: Youngblood................ = trash

the others i had no interest in sorry

been waiting on Atomic Heart since before i got my 2080 ti = it may never happen

got hope for Dying Light 2
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:58 PM   #81
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
CP2077 said they are working to make RT work on amd cards. Whic is why they dont list amd cards for RT at all for now. Tells us that even when Nvidia says its just plain DXR it obviously isnt because RT works on nvidia at launch but will need a patch for amd.

Hmm what patch might that be? I suppose a DXR patch?

Probably working on rt and denoising optimizations considering the many hybrid abilities, imho. Godfall on the Pc suppose to offer raytracing but only for Amd, Nvidia later on. I don't think anything shady.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:06 PM   #82
demo
space cadet

Quote:

Get off my lawn...

No worries Gramps.

I agree Watchdogs is bleh. But this week have played through Metro, the new COD campaign was great, Crysis Remastered is good, but what blew me away the most was Quake 2 RTX. Finally able to play it properly with 3090, 2080ti was a slide show. The Global Illumination is amazing.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk and Atomic Hearts. I'm also interested in Riftbreaker which is an AMD sponsored title, hopefully effects work with Nv hardware.

Infact Godfall is a good first RT entry for AMD, light on the effects, and Riftbreaker will be a good second. These will showcase AMD's RT capabilities when coded for AMD hardware.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:09 PM   #83
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Probably working on rt and denoising optimizations considering the many hybrid abilities, imho. Godfall on the Pc suppose to offer raytracing but only for Amd, Nvidia later on. I don't think anything shady.
i think they are both marketing mostly .

and NV never follows the rules and i bet every game to date is not fully microsoft dxr compliant
NV always add a poison pill when they help a game dev

RTX is just nvidia gameworks 2.0
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:15 PM   #84
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
No worries Gramps.

I agree Watchdogs is bleh. But this week have played through Metro, the new COD campaign was great, Crysis Remastered is good, but what blew me away the most was Quake 2 RTX. Finally able to play it properly with 3090, 2080ti was a slide show. The Global Illumination is amazing.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk and Atomic Hearts. I'm also interested in Riftbreaker which is an AMD sponsored title, hopefully effects work with Nv hardware.

Infact Godfall is a good first RT entry for AMD, light on the effects, and Riftbreaker will be a good second. These will showcase AMD's RT capabilities when coded for AMD hardware.
nope sorry

diablo 4 yes if i live that long
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:26 PM   #85
demo
space cadet

I meant for showcasing AMD sponsored RT effects. Godfall isn't my cup of tea but Riftbreaker looks pretty awesome. Is Diablo 4 meant to include RT?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:07 AM   #86
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Man reading reddit and a few other places those who got their 6800xts are getting 2.5ghz on a dime it seems... not bad for the reference.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:08 AM   #87
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I meant for showcasing AMD sponsored RT effects. Godfall isn't my cup of tea but Riftbreaker looks pretty awesome. Is Diablo 4 meant to include RT?
i think so

https://www.shacknews.com/article/11...ew-game-engine

and Shadowlands is

Quote:
AMD Showcases World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Ray Tracing and VRS Ahead of Launch
https://wccftech.com/amd-showcases-w...ead-of-launch/
Old Nov 22, 2020, 02:28 AM   #88
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Performance increases on World of Warcraft... There's a joke in here somewhere...

WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste
Old Nov 22, 2020, 02:31 AM   #89
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Performance increases on World of Warcraft... There's a joke in here somewhere...

WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste
yea i have not played wow in years but Diablo 4 would be nice
Old Nov 22, 2020, 02:32 AM   #90
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Half-Life 2

Another shitty AOTS like benchmark?
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote