Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Project CARS 3 (2020)

Release Date: August 28th, 2020

Official Site: https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/

This iteration will not focus on a lot of the details sim racing brings to the table. This will be more Forza or NFS Shift like where it's just pick up and drive, rather than spends hours/laps trying to hone in setup details:

Quote:
Kris Pope: Lead Designer: Yes, Project CARS 3, from a game design viewpoint, is focused far more on the driver than the previous two games. With this new instalment, the direction was to laser-in on what makes motorsport evoke so much passion in those of us who love the sport. The cars, the driving, the racing, the speed—we’re really narrowed down on those things with Project CARS 3.

David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: Project CARS 3 is both new and traditional, if I can call it that—the details, handling, the motorsport and the freedom of choice, the weather and so on, that’s what our long term fans want and that’s all there—though we’ve gone in and improved on all of that. New this time around is customisation for cars and drivers, and of course upgrades which is really an exciting addition. We’ve also added a whole layer to the game that introduces weekend warrior racing on road circuits and other options designed to get a new audience into sim racing in a way that doesn’t overwhelm them.

Kris Pope: Lead Designer: As in the real-world, drivers drive, and mechanics and the team worry about the minute details, and that’s what we wanted to aim for with Project CARS 3. In the end, it doesn’t matter what series it is—an amateur weekend or track-day or the top echelon of motorsport where 300 engineers with science degrees are pouring over reams of data—drivers are there to drive. And that’s really what we wanted to highlight with this new game. We wanted to bring a renewed focus on the driver and the racing. So now you don’t need to spend hours in a practice session working out the tyre life of a set of tyres for one car in one condition, and you don’t need to do the maths on how many litres of fuel you need to finish the race, and you won’t be punished for picking the wrong strategy and so on.
From Blog #1: https://www.projectcarsgame.com/thre...eloper-blog-1/

And Blog #2: https://www.projectcarsgame.com/thre...eloper-blog-2/

I don't mind a good semi-sim racer but for me, there is some slight disappointment with this iteration. We'll see how it pans out.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 01:36 PM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Sounds great to me as long as they keep the sim physics the same or improved (they claim it's improved in that link). Adding customization and removing the tedious aspect of tires/fuel does make it similar to Forza (though with much better physics/handling), but nothing like Need for Speed Shift.

I'm all for more cars, though not sure how I feel about modifications in a more sim oriented game. Works in Forza, but it's not really a sim. I consider it a psuedo-sim. Need for Speed Shift is a pure arcade racer through and through. In fact, as I think about it, I dislike the modifications in a sim. I'd probably be OK with it if the street cars are separated and the only ones that can be touched. But even then...

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:54 PM   #3
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That trailer is really reminiscent of the original Need For Speed intros.

I do hope the handling is improved. The way the cars react in that video doesn't seem right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 6, 2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I love the idea of NFS style fun in a track environment. Personally I don't see what more needs to be done with another Project Cars since sims be sims, but I like the thought of them taking a chance at something that could open up their audience a bit.

That said, I do feel bad for Mahjik 'cuz I know he lives for this stuff
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2020, 08:02 AM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Old Jul 10, 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
I love the idea of NFS style fun in a track environment. Personally I don't see what more needs to be done with another Project Cars since sims be sims, but I like the thought of them taking a chance at something that could open up their audience a bit.

That said, I do feel bad for Mahjik 'cuz I know he lives for this stuff
what about the opposite? is there any sim with nfs style open road/world game? or is that forza horizon and test drive unlimited?

what are the chance that we're gonna get forza horizon 5 this year?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 09:31 AM   #7
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
what about the opposite? is there any sim with nfs style open road/world game? or is that forza horizon and test drive unlimited?

what are the chance that we're gonna get forza horizon 5 this year?
Only game like that is Forza Horizon that I'm aware of.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:40 AM   #8
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Seems like might be finally the game that I can indulge myself in. Hopefully works best with keyboard.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Only game like that is Forza Horizon that I'm aware of.
I would argue FH has a ways to go before I'd call it a sim.

Best open world sims right now are Spintires (not very large open world), BeamNG.drive (is sandbox only atm) and those big rig cross country Truck Driving sims.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 02:36 AM   #10
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I would argue FH has a ways to go before I'd call it a sim.

Best open world sims right now are Spintires (not very large open world), BeamNG.drive (is sandbox only atm) and those big rig cross country Truck Driving sims.
Oh, it's not. Neither is Forza Motorsport.

But, for an open world style game like he's talking about, that's as close as you're going to get. Not very close at all.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jul 11, 2020, 02:42 AM   #11
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Turn on the sim settings, and turn off the assists, and horizon 3 was pretty damn nice hybrid sim/open world arcade game to me. Easily as goode as test drive u 1
Old Jul 19, 2020, 08:00 PM   #12
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 19, 2020, 08:25 PM   #13
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sound effects could really use some improvement.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Jul 20, 2020, 09:18 AM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Sound effects could really use some improvement.
I thought it actually sounded really good. There was a lot going on, and it captured it all pretty well.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jul 20, 2020, 09:43 AM   #15
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Dunno, compare it to this

The engine sound is very artificial sounding in the game, and sounds nothing like the real thing.

I would also argue the car is responding nothing like how you would expect an Indycar to do. Way less downforce, and wheel grip than the real thing ironically.

Also, the kerbs are non-existent in the game.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by metroidfox : Jul 20, 2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 09:58 AM   #16
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Dunno, compare it to this

The engine sound is very artificial sounding in the game, and sounds nothing like the real thing.

I would also argue the car is responding nothing like how you would expect an Indycar to do. Way less downforce, and wheel grip than the real thing ironically.

Also, the kerbs are non-existent in the game.
It's not an exact match to that particular F1 car, but it's pretty darn good.

As far as the handling goes, too many variables. First, the driver wasn't very good in the game. The driver of the real F1 car was very smooth, the video game driver was not. Also, the real car was a flying lap with tires already warmed up. The game was a standing start likely with cold tires. It would be interesting to see if it changes over a couple laps when the tires are up to temp. In the end, it's still a video game, and will never be a 100% match to real life.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jul 20, 2020, 01:12 PM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

The one area that has been a thorn in the SMS (more recent) offerings has been the sounds. I still remember some of the sound processing during the PC2 development that got changed which was very disappointing (they lowered the sound processing for the consoles).
Old Jul 21, 2020, 09:39 PM   #18
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

New blog up. This one on the upgrade system (snippet):

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/thre...eloper-blog-3/

Quote:
David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: Right, and this is all tied together by the PIR (Performance Index Rating) system—the thing that keeps cars balanced when you upgrade them. That’s really what makes all these authentic upgrades “work” from a racing perspective. PIR for each car isn’t based on certain values for certain parts but is a complex model of what happens on each car. Probably easier to explain using an example: Adding lots of power to a front-wheel drive car might not increase the performance rating as much as it would on an AWD car, because it simply can’t put the power down. The physical size, CoG (Centre of Gravity) height, geometry, all the unique aspects of the car affect how each upgrade will change its rating, and that’s why simply sticking more power on a car that has no handling won’t necessarily move its PIR.

Jussi Karjalainen: Handling QA Lead: What David is saying is—big number mean faster car. Small number mean slower car!

David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: Thanks for clearing that up, Jussi! Overall, not just, say, top-speed or acceleration. And, of course, all that means cars with similar numbers should turn close laptimes, regardless of the combination of upgrades.

Jussi Karjalainen: Handling QA Lead: That’s the key there. It should be pretty much universal. Same PIR means same performance. Of course, the track type will affect this as it will in the real world. A car that’s all power at PIR 500, and a car that’s all grip at 500PIR, will do different lap times around Monza and Monaco, for example.

Casey Ringley: Vehicle Technical Art and Handling: And all of this really adds to the experience of finding out what works well for each particular vehicle. It’s also a good lesson in what works well for you, as a player. Most people quickly add “all the power” when upgrading their first vehicle and quickly discover that just adding more power doesn’t always result in a quicker car.

David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: The PIR is a universal number and calculated to give a balance between circuit types. So when you upgrade just the power of a vehicle, there’s a limit to what the tyres can put down, which means you’ll get a gain in PIR due to the higher top speed, but lower speed acceleration may not improve at all. That part of the PIR calculation takes into account “useable power”: adding grippier tyres enables more power to be used, so then you’ll see bigger jumps in PIR when you add the power upgrades. If you’re getting wheel-spin and bogging down in fourth gear, you’re not really improving the car that much. Peak cornering speeds won’t change with power upgrades either, but tyres, weight, and aero upgrades may well increase, so you get PIR increases from that. Also, the “useable power” calculation considers the CoG height, weight distribution, and drivetype. So a front heavy FWD car may actually be able to put down as much power as a front heavy RWD, and 4WD cars can use the most power. Which I think leads to the inevitable and, for us, fun question—the ideal starting point in-game and which cars are the most fun to upgrade.
To be fair, that's basically the same system NFS Shift used but I'm assuming (or hoping) this one is more advanced from that one.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 04:31 PM   #19
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 30, 2020, 04:41 PM   #20
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 30, 2020, 09:21 PM   #21
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 3, 2020, 04:42 PM   #22
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:43 PM   #23
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 9, 2020, 11:15 AM   #24
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 14, 2020, 09:15 PM   #25
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Aug 17, 2020, 08:23 PM   #26
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Was thinking of this one, till I saw the recommended PC requirements (not sure if my 6700k and GTX 1070 will keep up)....

MINIMUM:
Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 3450 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX680 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 50 GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X compatible sound card
Additional Notes: For VR or triple screen use, GTX980 or equivalent

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 8700k or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2070 or AMD RX5700
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 50 GB available space
Sound Card: DIrectX compatible sound card
Additional Notes: For VR or triple screen use, RTX 2080 or equivalent
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2020, 08:52 PM   #27
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
Was thinking of this one, till I saw the recommended PC requirements (not sure if my 6700k and GTX 1070 will keep up)....
Your system will be plenty. You can try the PC2 demo if you want since it will be roughly the same performance but you won't have single issue for non-VR.

FWIW, I went ahead and pre-ordered it. Yea, it's sim-lite, but I rarely take time these days to do all sorts of setup testing and online competition. Having a sim-lite title in my mix of driving games is just fine. Heck, I enjoy a good NFS game every now and then.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:38 AM   #28
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Definitely appears to be the "spiritual successor to NFS Shift" that they mentioned they were targeting. Not all bad.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:20 AM   #29
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Seems like might play well with keyboard. Might indulge at 5 dolla.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2020, 07:02 AM   #30
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Definitely appears to be the "spiritual successor to NFS Shift" that they mentioned they were targeting. Not all bad.
my question would be, why would you want this instead of waiting for the next forza?