Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 31, 2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Oculus VR

Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:11 PM   #2
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
you can buy a dev kit now if you want or wait for next year's possible release
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:15 PM   #3
aop
Radeon Caribbean Islands

aop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete stranger

Needs higher resolution to deal with the screen door effect and more games supporting it.

Here is nice screen door effect simulation:
http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/
aop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:42 PM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post
Needs higher resolution to deal with the screen door effect and more games supporting it.

awesome demo.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:10 PM   #5
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post

with 4k they just simply remove the effect, I doubt 4k is as perfect as that. If it is then good, because 4K is gunna be a pain to render as it is.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:18 PM   #6
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yup, need 4K or better...if that is accurate.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They're in Seattle right? I'm in Seattle... do they have any tech demo's or fare's scheduled anytime soon in WA?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Ah the life...

Getting money from consumers for a product that may never release.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 06:08 PM   #9
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Ah the life...

Getting money from consumers for a product that may never release.
Well, not strictly true they do get the prior versions, it's not like they pay money and receive nothing. People are using them to develop/play games on this very second.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Whatever you think about pewdiepie, I never seen that adapter before? That's some cool **** right there!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

The amount of screen door effect in the CV1 looks acceptable. It's still there, but I think you can probably overlook it.

Eventually if this catches on they're going to need to make a version that's not only higher resolution but also wider FOV. With a completely new technology, you can't expect the first version to be perfect in every respect.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:18 PM   #12
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

2015 will go down as Year of the Rift. This thing is going to be huge once it hits store shelves, and I can't wait!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
with 4k they just simply remove the effect, I doubt 4k is as perfect as that. If it is then good, because 4K is gunna be a pain to render as it is.
It seems like the screen door effect is due to seeing the physical pixels in the monitor. I can see the same thing in my monitor if I put my face right up against it, there's like a black line between each white pixel.

So, increasing the monitor resolution should help with the screen door effect, even if you don't run at that actual resolution. For example, you could run in half resolution, and there would be more of the normal pixelation we're used to, but the screen door effect should still be improved over a lower resolution display.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 09:13 AM   #14
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It seems like the screen door effect is due to seeing the physical pixels in the monitor. I can see the same thing in my monitor if I put my face right up against it, there's like a black line between each white pixel.

So, increasing the monitor resolution should help with the screen door effect, even if you don't run at that actual resolution. For example, you could run in half resolution, and there would be more of the normal pixelation we're used to, but the screen door effect should still be improved over a lower resolution display.
This, pretty much. Have a 4K display, but render at 2K.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
Yup, need 4K or better...if that is accurate.
I doubt a browser simulation is like the real thing but i also don't have the Oculus Rift so i can't really be sure, but saying that if the first one was as bad as it is shown on that simulation then why did this tech add so much success? If i saw that i would never think that stuff was good.

About 4K, people are forgetting that the more resolution the more powerful the hardware running the game need to be, and for 3D that is doubled, so unless you want to return to 2003 graphics to be able to have 4K and 3D on the Oculus Rift (and forget a mobile version) then 1080p for both eyes should be enough imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
This, pretty much. Have a 4K display, but render at 2K.
How will you get rid of the blur by doing that? I have a 1080p display and if i don't render games at the native resolution then everything looks blurred and ugly. The oculus screen is exactly the same tech so i bet it has the exact same limitations.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio

Last edited by Argoon1981 : Jan 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:21 PM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Because you're looking at it on a browser, and not in a 3D headset that simulates your eyes.

Even poor VR is impressive, besides you can't just start off with amazing, it takes time and lots of feedback/tweaks to get there.

Also as said above which I didn't take into consideration, IT's not about the rendering resolution but more the actual pixel count in the screen it self.

You could render at 1920x1080 which is half the exact res of the Naitive 4K it will still look decent, and you wont have no screendoor, because there's still 4K worth of pixels rendering.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:43 PM   #17
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoon1981 View Post
About 4K, people are forgetting that the more resolution the more powerful the hardware running the game need to be, and for 3D that is doubled, so unless you want to return to 2003 graphics to be able to have 4K and 3D on the Oculus Rift (and forget a mobile version) then 1080p for both eyes should be enough imo.

At this rate I would be entirely happy with 2003 graphics with nothing better but textures and lighting if we could get magnificent 3d out of it.
A lot of the high poly stuff goes unnoticed anyway.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 06:13 PM   #18
Osirus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I picked one up on kijiji the other day for $350 and so far am pretty impressed
It def needs some work done before retail release,the screen door effect is there but you kinda forget about it after a bit.
main issue is the lack of clarity for reading text in game, it really does need to be alot crisper.

even with the shitty graphics in some of the demos the feeling of presence is still there, an odd feeling when you are looking down at a low poly leg and it does kind of feel like its your leg.

Some tech demos area really neat, others not so much.
a few game me some pretty bad motion sickness the first day i had it, but i havent had that in the last few days, either the games im playing now are coded better or im used to the VR, im not sure.

I tried Half life two the first day and it worked wonderfully but it made me feel really ill after about 10 mins. il have to try it again.

vox machine demo is pretty cool, feels like you are in a giant mech.
titans of space was cool, as well as sightline the chair.

ive been playing alien isolation with it last night and for a few mins today and so far that seems pretty awesome.
no motion sickness at all form it, and the atmoshpere and scale is awesome.
i havent got very far yet, only a quick glimpse of the alien ,but im pretty sure im going to crap my pants when he does pop out at me.
only issue with that is the computer terminals, the pop up so close to your face you cant read them., i have to close one eye and try really hard to read the text.
but the game isnt officially supported by oculus as you had to edit a file to get it enabled in game so cant complain too much.

but so far i like it and can see it really taking off.
Osirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 06:54 PM   #19
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Not sure I would touch the first few generations, I'm a bit concerned on how it could affect my eyes... not sure if it's a real concern or not...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:30 PM   #20
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoon1981 View Post
How will you get rid of the blur by doing that? I have a 1080p display and if i don't render games at the native resolution then everything looks blurred and ugly. The oculus screen is exactly the same tech so i bet it has the exact same limitations.
If you run at exactly half resolution it shouldn't be a problem, since it scales exactly. Each single rendered pixel is just displayed as four physical pixels.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:39 PM   #21
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus View Post
I tried Half life two the first day and it worked wonderfully but it made me feel really ill after about 10 mins. il have to try it again.
A lot of people complain about motion sickness in HL2 in general. I know that when I played it recently, I had some trouble with motion sickness, and that was on a normal monitor. There is something weird about the way that game was coded, like there's some hidden input lag or something else going on. It's not a general Source problem as it doesn't happen to me in L4D, Portal, or for that matter the HL2 Episodes.

So, anyway, if you're going to experience motion sickness with the VR, it's probably not a surprise it happens with HL2.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 05:58 AM   #22
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
If you run at exactly half resolution it shouldn't be a problem, since it scales exactly. Each single rendered pixel is just displayed as four physical pixels.
This.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 05:47 PM   #23
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
A lot of people complain about motion sickness in HL2 in general. I know that when I played it recently, I had some trouble with motion sickness, and that was on a normal monitor. There is something weird about the way that game was coded, like there's some hidden input lag or something else going on. It's not a general Source problem as it doesn't happen to me in L4D, Portal, or for that matter the HL2 Episodes.

So, anyway, if you're going to experience motion sickness with the VR, it's probably not a surprise it happens with HL2.
Does increasing the default FOV help? HL2's default in 75.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:13 AM   #24
Osirus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

il give hl2 another go right now and see, il try changing the fov aswell
Old Jan 3, 2015, 03:02 PM   #25
felikx
Rage3D Veteran

felikx is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus View Post
il give hl2 another go right now and see, il try changing the fov aswell
Try this instead, if you want a good first person experience

http://digitalcybercherries.com/
Vive, MFG Crosswinds, Warthog
felikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2015, 04:05 PM   #26
Osirus
Radeon Arctic Islands

i have that , its wonderful.

I had to re download HL2 so i haven't gotten back to it yet.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 04:26 PM   #27
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Oh didn't thought of that, makes sense.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 01:12 AM   #28
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Quote:
2560×1440 strobed OLED virtual reality

My visual experience confirmed that it looks much better than the earlier DK2, and it was running 2560×1440 at 90Hz ultralow persistence (~1ms). No matter how fast I twisted my head around, I did not notice any lag or motion blur.
http://www.blurbusters.com/oculus-25...led-prototype/

Unreleased DK3 prototype hands on ces
clerick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:18 AM   #29
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Might actually buy the DK3 kit (when it's released) with all these new improvements.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:24 PM   #30
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thought I heard something about them releasing a Consumer beta or something, then retail release.
Dunno if those plans have changed.