Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 27, 2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
rboot
Submarine Dood!

rboot is still being judged by the masses

Angry RAGE! At hardware companies.....

Otay, I bought a brand new retail Asus 9800xt/tvd, nice right? Came with a nice little thing from ATI for a free copy of HL2, yummy. I paid over 500US for the card, and wanted the hardware, the game was a happy thing that I didn't know about. What really gripes my @ss is the requirements from ATI to get the game when it comes out. Anybody looked at that yet?
here's the link: http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/hl2offer/index.html
Read the BS you have to do. Copies of the promotion, portions of the box with the upc code "original only" blah blah....the frickin box was the first thing I chucked because of the size of it.
That really [email protected] me off, I'll just buy the freekin game when it comes out.
So much for the ATI promotions, they can blow me.
rboot
Lite-On 18 DVD burner,
Everybody should carry a 230 grain ashcan thrower, more peeps would be nice!
rboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:01 AM   #2
drumphil
Radeon Volcanic Islands

drumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydrumphil can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

lol, so you didnt read the terms and conditions, threw the box away, and so decided to have a whinge about it here.. do you feel better yet??

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:47 AM   #3
compunoob
Computer Bonehead

compunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird sings

Well I would have automatically thought that I would need some form of proof that I bought the XT to retrieve my game. Please understand Im not bashing or flaming you but u just need to think about that kinda stuff first in the future. Anytime I have ever gotten per say a rebate or promo thing threw a purchase the bar code is always used in retrieving the item. I'm sorry you chucked it =( I save all my boxes LOL I still have my voodoo 2 and 3 boxes LOL along with my 8500 box. I even have all the boxes my games came in. I'm a psycho =P
compunoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Yeuemmaimai
Banned

Yeuemmaimai is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: RAGE! At hardware companies.....

stoooopid strikes again. oh, that's right ati does not need proof that you actually bought the card right?

Quote:
Originally posted by rboot
Otay, I bought a brand new retail Asus 9800xt/tvd, nice right? Came with a nice little thing from ATI for a free copy of HL2, yummy. I paid over 500US for the card, and wanted the hardware, the game was a happy thing that I didn't know about. What really gripes my @ss is the requirements from ATI to get the game when it comes out. Anybody looked at that yet?
Read the BS you have to do. Copies of the promotion, portions of the box with the upc code "original only" blah blah....the frickin box was the first thing I chucked because of the size of it.
That really [email protected] me off, I'll just buy the freekin game when it comes out.
rboot
Yeuemmaimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Firestar_3x
The Grand Master!

Firestar_3x is still being judged by the masses

LOL................... U pleb
Rig 1: AMD 64 3500 - Phase Change Cooled / Abit AV8 3rd Eye - Watercooled Chipset / 2048Mb Corsair XMS 3500 Cas 2 / NEC 3500 DVD±RW / Enermax Noisetaker 600W / x800 XT - Watercooled / 2x 74GB WD Raptors In Raid 0 / 2x 200Gb SATA WD 8Mb Cache / Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-680's / Lian-Li PC-75 / Vapochill PE / Waterchill KT12-L20 / 2x Viewsonic VX2025VM X Series 20" LCD Monitor / Func 1030 / Logitech DiNovo.

Home Cinema: Panasonic TH-42PW6 42" Plasma TV (HDTV + Progressive Scan) / Wall Mount Bracket / Logitech Z680 Speakers / Toshiba SD340 DivX Multi-region DVD Player (Progressive Scan) / X-box 360 / Playstation 2 / Aver Media STB-3 / Sky Digital / Progressive Scan Interconnects / Optical Audio.

Bender / Futurama - How about you interface with my ass, by biting it!
[email protected] Member Rank
Firestar_3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:01 PM   #6
Phoenix_Cat
Formatting Extremist

Phoenix_Cat is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down

1 Word

UNLUCKY

I keep all my boxes i buy for god knows what reason. oh well.
Phoenix_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:35 PM   #7
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So you think that is ATI 's fault?

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 02:04 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Not ATi's fault, but sheesh, give the guy a break everyone! It is Thanksgiving after all!

I recommend contacting ATi directly. You may be able to prove ownership in some other fashion that will satisfy their requirements. Canadians aren't completely unreasonable.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 04:45 PM   #9
Firestar_3x
The Grand Master!

Firestar_3x is still being judged by the masses

If you kept your invoice for the goods this should be more than good enough to prove ur entitled to HL2 for free, send ATI and e-mail and i'm sure they can sort you something out
Rig 1: AMD 64 3500 - Phase Change Cooled / Abit AV8 3rd Eye - Watercooled Chipset / 2048Mb Corsair XMS 3500 Cas 2 / NEC 3500 DVD±RW / Enermax Noisetaker 600W / x800 XT - Watercooled / 2x 74GB WD Raptors In Raid 0 / 2x 200Gb SATA WD 8Mb Cache / Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-680's / Lian-Li PC-75 / Vapochill PE / Waterchill KT12-L20 / 2x Viewsonic VX2025VM X Series 20" LCD Monitor / Func 1030 / Logitech DiNovo.

Home Cinema: Panasonic TH-42PW6 42" Plasma TV (HDTV + Progressive Scan) / Wall Mount Bracket / Logitech Z680 Speakers / Toshiba SD340 DivX Multi-region DVD Player (Progressive Scan) / X-box 360 / Playstation 2 / Aver Media STB-3 / Sky Digital / Progressive Scan Interconnects / Optical Audio.

Bender / Futurama - How about you interface with my ass, by biting it!
[email protected] Member Rank
Firestar_3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 06:46 PM   #10
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?

PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses

That sucks

But really, you should have known better.

Mark this one up to experience, and be glad it only cost you +-$50
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:18 PM   #11
Bitey
feck off

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

hehe, thats funny. But I think if you explained it to asus/valve and sort out some proof of purchase they should help you out....nut its funny anywaze
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:34 PM   #12
logen1869F
Banned

logen1869F is still being judged by the masses

im sorry for you, but hey you should know better.
logen1869F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:16 PM   #13
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Ima go through his trash and get that UPC...another mans trash is another mans treasure.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:25 PM   #14
logen1869F
Banned

logen1869F is still being judged by the masses

your gona have to beat me to it mreman4k
logen1869F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:20 AM   #15
Spiritwalker
If you could see me now

Spiritwalker is still being judged by the masses

I dont think that I have ever seen a rebate/special offer that didnt require the original upc code.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:32 AM   #16
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

I don't blame him, Hell he's got the ticket! Whats the deal with all of the extra crap?
You know what the deal is? Company's have been doing it for years, and it looks like ATI is no better. They say you have to have this, that and the other in hopes that you will lose some thing and then they don't have to honer it.
It used to real bad with rebates and stuff like that.
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:35 AM   #17
ben6
Radeon R420

ben6 is still being judged by the masses

You can still download HL2 off Steam can't you? I mean they don't require a UPC code and receipt to get HL2 off it?
ben6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 09:24 AM   #18
JK1
Radeon R300

JK1 is still being judged by the masses

So what about us non-US/Canada folk? I assume I'll have to post all that to America and get it sent back.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:36 PM   #19
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally posted by ={DH}=Vengeance
I don't blame him, Hell he's got the ticket! Whats the deal with all of the extra crap?
You know what the deal is? Company's have been doing it for years, and it looks like ATI is no better. They say you have to have this, that and the other in hopes that you will lose some thing and then they don't have to honer it.
It used to real bad with rebates and stuff like that.
Unfortunately, we live in a day and age where honesty isn't the basis for overall conduct. Companies have to find a way to ensure that they're not giving away the promotionals to those who didn't pay for it. Cutting UPC codes is the most common and relatively fraud-free ways of accomplishing that. While I am sure that the fact that a percentage of buyers won't follow through on the rebate process is factored into the marketing plan, I'm not so jaded as to assume that the company is "hoping" it happens. Come on, ATi is in the business of meeting customer needs. Alienating said customers doesn't go far toward that goal.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:01 PM   #20
AssCrack

AssCrack is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
That really [email protected]s me off, I'll just buy the freekin game when it comes out.
rboot
You should be able to download it through STEAM free of charge, no UPC required, just your HL2 Voucher (which hopefully you did not throw away).

http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/hl2offer/steam.html

I think the whole thing has been handled pretty well by ATI. The decision to delay the release of HL2 was beyond their control, so they've gone to extraordinary lengths to keep their promise of offering HL2 with their cards. In fact, you even get the whole HL-1 series until HL2 comes out, so you can't blame them.

Shipping and handling is a huge cost, and it is unrealistic to expect a copy of the game shipped to everyone. I think the download option is a very fair way to offer the game for "free" without breaking their promise.
AssCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:10 PM   #21
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Wesley Garrett, born 16 Nov. 2003, Thank you God!

Your son I take it? Congrats
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:43 PM   #22
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

Im sorry, but I think the guy is absolutely right. You guys who are mindlessly doing your little fanboy rips on him are flat out of line.

HL2 in the box should be a simple process. No one reads the fine print. You jerks who are ripping him dont even have the game or the card yourselves. If BS for you to even be opening your mounths on the Subject.

If i was this guy i would expect a simple coupon for the game or a registration code for a Steam Download like the ATi 9800XT has. Not this bunch of Fine print you need the box Bull****.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:48 PM   #23
LordPain
Banned

LordPain is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
rboot
one thing though, it is asus you should be mad at. Ati makes the chip. Asus is the one that sold you the bill of goods.
LordPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 04:54 PM   #24
AlphaWolf
Radeon R420

AlphaWolf is still being judged by the masses

If they made it so that the coupon was enough there would be people stealing the coupons or just copying the codes.

Rebate programs require upc codes and receipts for a reason.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 06:49 PM   #25
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

i NEVER liked HL anyways...when i get my 9800 pro i'll throw away my HL2 coupon...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:39 PM   #26
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ={DH}=Vengeance
Wesley Garrett, born 16 Nov. 2003, Thank you God!

Your son I take it? Congrats
Our first!
Old Nov 28, 2003, 09:58 PM   #27
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

Reminds me of something that happened to my mom. She works for the school district here and they decided to get about 5 pdas for some employees. Each had a rebate of $50 dollars. I think one of her duties was treasurer, so she was giving the reciepts and rebate forms to get them sent out.

I was with her at home and I asked where the boxes where as she pulled out the stuff. She said why and I told her any kind of rebate you usually need the bar code off the box. So she was kind of upset that she couldn't get this done and found that the employees were given the boxes and many of them already thrown them away. So they lost a bit of money on their already tight budget.

For my videocard, and mobos, I keep the boxes proudly on display. And if I throw them away, it's usually after a couple months. I'm sure there's a way to prove you bought the card to get the game. And just using the invoice I wouldn't think would be the answer since that is usually part of the process to begin with.

And on the whole thing about having to cut the box upc off to do a rebate/special promotion in hopes you lose it or something is wrong. Besides keeping the fraud down, I think the main reason you need to cut the boxes code off is so that it can't be returned to the store after your do the rebate. Once the box upc is off you can't return it anymore. If you didn't need to do anything with the box, you could just buy things, send the reciept and rebate form and get money and just return the product.
Thermalright slk-800-u heatsink
Antec True 430watt
Leadtek 6800 128mb at 400/850
Compro Videomate TV/FM Gold Plus
Maxtor IDE pci card, Audigy 1
HDs WD, 3x80gig, 60gig, 30gig
http://www.toonguru.com/
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:56 AM   #28
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

I BURN MY VIDEO CARD BOXES IN HELL MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH :devil:!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:07 PM   #29
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Im sorry, but I think the guy is absolutely right. You guys who are mindlessly doing your little fanboy rips on him are flat out of line.

HL2 in the box should be a simple process. No one reads the fine print. You jerks who are ripping him dont even have the game or the card yourselves. If BS for you to even be opening your mounths on the Subject.

If i was this guy i would expect a simple coupon for the game or a registration code for a Steam Download like the ATi 9800XT has. Not this bunch of Fine print you need the box Bull****.
You've been around here a lot longer than I have and know that not everybody is actually honest around here. How many posts have you read where people put the old 8500 in the 9700 box and return it and get the money back.

It's all about security and ensuring that people that deserve to get the goods get them and nothing more. If all that was required was the slip of paper, those would be counterfeited in an instant (unless ATI has somebody doing manual accounting for all copies of HL2 going out against the paper coupons.) not likely though.

It seems like a pain but having the multiple forms of validation ensures ATI doesn't get ripped off giving out free copies of HL2 to less than honest people. It's a sad world we live in but we as a species made it this way.

just my take

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:36 PM   #30
Vaike

Vaike is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It seems like a pain but having the multiple forms of validation ensures ATI doesn't get ripped off giving out free copies of HL2 to less than honest people. It's a sad world we live in but we as a species made it this way.
Yea, sadly people confuse "want" with need and often talk themselves into doing any number of stupid and dishonest things. It sucks that guy the threw out his box, but seriously.. I've never seen a rebate deal that didn't want a UPC code or like 10 copies of the receipt from the store where you bought the product.

Don't get mad at the company for fulfiling its responcibility to investors by not throwing away money. Blame the worthless thieves who will do anything or justify anything to get something they didn't earn for free.

Last edited by Vaike : Nov 29, 2003 at 05:39 PM.
Vaike is offline   Reply With Quote