Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Slappy THM
Time Honoured Member

Slappy THM is still being judged by the masses

Question Next Gen. Hardware. What Do Companies Know?

So, after seeing the news that Abit will be making the move to ATI based products, I'm left with a couple of questions. How much do these companies see of upcoming products? How far in advanced do they find out about them? What (if any) influence does the potential (not so much in price, but performance) of next-gen. products have in their decision in staying with or leaving a manufacturer?

Can I peer into the future & see which manufactorer will be coming out with the best hardware, by looking at who these companies go to for their processors?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
IbaneZ
Radeon R420

IbaneZ is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, this is pretty interesting. I've been thinking about this my self lately.

I'm gonna think some more and i'll be back tomorrow with a clever answer
IbaneZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

Interesting subject, they probably have early versions of the NV40/R420 to play around with already. Another factor might be the talk (link) that Nvidia will be using a bridge chip for pci express whereas ATI will have all native pci express chips when that comes around. A bridge chip might add cost, use up valuable board real-estate, and give the appearance of lesser technology.
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2004, 04:45 PM   #4
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Im sure that most of the big name companies (let say ati, nv and the big 3 3rd party manu's) know whats coming down the pipes from years to come. The 3rd party companies prolly have a game plan already on what versions they will be making/supporting of ATi and Nv.

This goes for any company with any product. From music groups to signing with record lables, to fast food chains.

Youll be surprised to see how long and how much effort goes into future plannings. I mean, the companies rep is at stake here. They better hav a game plan, and im sure they tell their biggest contracts on whats going down to keep them statisfied.

Love to be a fly on a wall with some of these big corp meetings!
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:18 PM   #5
A176
Radeon R300

A176 is still being judged by the masses

It depends on the relationship to the "master" company. For example, companies who specialize in utilizing 3d hardware to a far extent - game development or cgi - will mostly like be working close with companies like ATI or nVidia in order to make sure the products work the best, and the fastest with each respectable cards.

But in your example such as ABIT, I would doubt they have much info on r4xx or r5xx because they are a relatively new company with ati.
A176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:58 PM   #6
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally posted by A176
But in your example such as ABIT, I would doubt they have much info on r4xx or r5xx because they are a relatively new company with ati.
MAybe so, but if abit was interested in a long term solution, they would of asked and im sure ATI (or any company in that situation) would of given some details. I mean, this could provide ATI some big $$$ if they pick up another big contract. Who wouldnt...
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:51 PM   #7
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by A176
I doubt Abit would drop their primary chip supplier without knowing what's coming down the pipe in a few months. There are millions of dollars at stake for them.
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:04 AM   #8
Wotan81
Radeon Northern Islands

Wotan81 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Someotherdude
Interesting subject, they probably have early versions of the NV40/R420 to play around with already. Another factor might be the talk (link) that Nvidia will be using a bridge chip for pci express whereas ATI will have all native pci express chips when that comes around. A bridge chip might add cost, use up valuable board real-estate, and give the appearance of lesser technology.
I posted about nVidias PCI Express bridge chip some time ago, but no one was interested except Doomtrooper!

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33735149
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:01 PM   #9
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Default Re: Next Gen. Hardware. What Do Companies Know?

Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy THM
So, after seeing the news that Abit will be making the move to ATI based products, I'm left with a couple of questions. How much do these companies see of upcoming products? How far in advanced do they find out about them? What (if any) influence does the potential (not so much in price, but performance) of next-gen. products have in their decision in staying with or leaving a manufacturer?

Can I peer into the future & see which manufactorer will be coming out with the best hardware, by looking at who these companies go to for their processors?
hows this for an answer!
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33735819

Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:43 PM   #10
Slappy THM
Time Honoured Member

Slappy THM is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Next Gen. Hardware. What Do Companies Know?

Quote:
Originally posted by **G.I.BRO**
hows this for an answer!
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33735819

Cool, works for me! Thanks for pointing that out.