Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 12, 2021, 01:44 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Intel 11x00 Gen thread

https://wccftech.com/intel-rocket-la...arks-ces-2021/

I am looking to upgrade my Ryzen 1700...I hope the prices on 8c cpus will drop with RKL release.I may want to actually keep myself on DDR4 until the DDR5 matures.Not sure if i want to do another Ryzen 1 experimental platform.I am not so entuaziastic anymore to be in the experimental zone and also paying money.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 01:48 AM   #2
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes I am buying this on day 1. Seems like the right thing to do.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 02:19 AM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
https://wccftech.com/intel-rocket-la...arks-ces-2021/

I am looking to upgrade my Ryzen 1700...I hope the prices on 8c cpus will drop with RKL release.I may want to actually keep myself on DDR4 until the DDR5 matures.Not sure if i want to do another Ryzen 1 experimental platform.I am not so entuaziastic anymore to be in the experimental zone and also paying money.
We are all hoping for prices of everything to chill and supply to normalize. Should make the 3700 take a dip though. So nice upgrade in your future.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2021, 02:51 AM   #4
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I'll probably get one since I already have a board that supports it but geez those results are pretty lack luster considering current gen is already on par with 5900x for gaming.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 04:11 AM   #5
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

If the improvements are that small I'm not sure whether it's going to be a better option than a 10850K right now. I guess "just for gaming", since you don't need the extra 2 cores for most games, but from a standpoint of both gaming and other uses where those cores come into play, it doesn't look that great.

I guess there's PCIE 4.0. Really sucks that is not supported on 10000 series.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 04:57 AM   #6
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Well how much more can we really expect Intel to pull out of 14nm right? The jump to 10nm failed and now they are stuck on 14nm till they can ramp up 7nm and 5nm. Which if we are lucky, we will see Intel's 5nm this year.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jan 12, 2021, 05:28 PM   #7
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Well how much more can we really expect Intel to pull out of 14nm right? The jump to 10nm failed and now they are stuck on 14nm till they can ramp up 7nm and 5nm. Which if we are lucky, we will see Intel's 5nm this year.
The huge process advantage Intel has had for so many many years is gone and it shows. They are never going to get it back either as the amount of money and time needed to ramp more complicated nodes is exponentially increasing and we can conclude the golden years of Intel are past because of this.

Rocket Lake looks like a 200w disappointment.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 06:04 PM   #8
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Their approach with Alder Lake is a bit concerning for desktop too. 8 big + 8 little makes sense for mobile power savings, but it seems like it'll just be a hinderance for desktop.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 06:09 PM   #9
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Their approach with Alder Lake is a bit concerning for desktop too. 8 big + 8 little makes sense for mobile power savings, but it seems like it'll just be a hinderance for desktop.
Alder Lake shows they are more concerned with ARM than AMD. Which is wise, because they would rather lose market share to AMD and keep x86 strong.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:15 PM   #10
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post

Why is it a hindrance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:55 PM   #11
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Everyone: 14nm is long dead
intel: HMB

Intel deserves an award for squeezing blood out of a stone.

If the price is right though it would be worth getting
Old Jan 12, 2021, 09:17 PM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Why is it a hindrance?
Because give me 16 big cores. Im plugged into the wall, I don't care about power saving's.

System:
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:06 PM   #13
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, but the way things are done, 8 cores currently contain all this extra logic for routing between high power, and low power states.

With this big.little design, you take away that complexity (may imply higher clockspeed too), and if you really don't care about power, can have all high power, and 8 low power cores on.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Jan 13, 2021, 05:24 AM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'm hoping we see some big changes after Alder Lake. Rocket Lake looks quite mediocre, but then again Intel could be trolling with those benches. I can't see where Intel is going to find a ton of IPC or clock-speed gain compared to Comet Lake, but maybe they'll surprise us.

I don't care if it's 14nm, 7nm, or 22nm. Give me the fastest performance for gaming. My 9900K for all the "omg it runs so hot!" whining that was talked about, runs extremely cool on an all-core overclock. Now that Ryzen chips are hitting 70c+ just gaming, suddenly temps and hot running chips aren't that big of a deal anymore

Gimme some SPEED.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:03 AM   #15
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:51 PM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Intel is also getting TMSC to make their CPU's, so they better make more fabrications plants pronto or a tight market is going to become even tighter
Old Jan 13, 2021, 02:47 PM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The main take away of Intel going to TSMC, is that any chip released this year will be bad. Rocket Lake and potentially Alder Lake will be DOA. The goal is that Intel will have their consumer chips on TSMC 3nm in 2022, so they'll just float the next year; hopefully working on a chip design to come back with a punch in 2022.

AMD better get their money together, because Intel still has plenty of cash to start buying out production and locking out AMD. As for the rest of us, prepare for price increases.. TSMC has a monopoly on the manufacturing market now. We are all ****ed. I said this would be a concern if Intel started outsourcing, and looks like it's come to fruition.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 13, 2021, 02:47 PM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Intel is also getting TMSC to make their CPU's, so they better make more fabrications plants pronto or a tight market is going to become even tighter
They are already building the fabs for 7nm and 5nm. The problem is it won't be ready till the end of this year and next year(2022). And who knows was the capacity will be initially.

But because they are continuing to ramp down 14nm and are already struggling to keep up with 14nm demand they had to contract it out. So they are using TSMC for 14nm CPU's AND are going to use TSMC for 7nm for their Xe GPU's.

And it's already a tight market. Global shortages of Intel CPU's have been a plague for years now. Especially in the enterprise and laptop market. It's at least partially why AMD is making such huge gains.

System:
Old Jan 13, 2021, 04:49 PM   #19
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah you know its bad when even non CPU chips are in such short supply that car plants have been shutdown over them:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/tech/...age/index.html

A computer chip shortage has shut down the Louisville, Kentucky, Ford plant this week, the latest shutdown because of an industry-wide problem that is expected to spread to many other auto plants in the coming months.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 01:58 AM   #20
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I still don't understand how Intel has failed so badly on the fabrication side. That was like their crown jewel, and over the course of a decade it went straight to ****. Yes, as chips get smaller process shrinks become more challenging, but TSMC seems to be firing on all cylinders, so it's not like no one else managed to do it.

I don't know how Samsung stacks up against Intel, but I'm guessing it's still better than Intel's 14nm. So, seriously, wtf happened?
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 08:16 AM   #21
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I still don't understand how Intel has failed so badly on the fabrication side. That was like their crown jewel, and over the course of a decade it went straight to ****. Yes, as chips get smaller process shrinks become more challenging, but TSMC seems to be firing on all cylinders, so it's not like no one else managed to do it.

I don't know how Samsung stacks up against Intel, but I'm guessing it's still better than Intel's 14nm. So, seriously, wtf happened?
They (fab) could not get 10nm to work AFAIK.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 02:17 PM   #22
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
They (fab) could not get 10nm to work AFAIK.
Intel got greedy with both an aggressive density increase and new materials. 10nm works, but the yields and clockspeed were not good vs. 14nm.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 03:28 PM   #23
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Intel got greedy with both an aggressive density increase and new materials. 10nm works, but the yields and clockspeed were not good vs. 14nm.
Ah, ok, thanks for reminding me.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 03:31 PM   #24
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
It also took AGES for Intel to get it working. By the time they did, the rest of the industry had leapfrogged it to 7nm.

System:
Old Jan 14, 2021, 03:59 PM   #25
Nunz
RIP Roxen

You can't compare Intel 10nm to TSMC 7nm. The numbers don't match in that way. Intel's 10nm smaller than it sounds by the "10" number. It's very close or slightly smaller than Samsung 8nm, if I'm not mistaken. There was a very good article that talked about this, but that was years ago..
Old Jan 14, 2021, 04:56 PM   #26
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

A difference of no consequence as Intel failed entirely.

System:
Old Jan 14, 2021, 05:10 PM   #27
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Yeah, the downfall of Intel's fabs is not as pronounced as most make it seem. At worst, the competition has caught up.

They all use different transistor measurements to quantify their process node, and Intel's is by far the most aggressive.

10 years ago, Intel was leaps-and-bounds better than anyone else, including AMD/GF.

It's probably better for us that the market is this way now.

Here is a reference on how process node naming works https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-nodes-defined
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by metroidfox : Jan 14, 2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 08:15 PM   #28
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
A difference of no consequence as Intel failed entirely.
It's certainly a difference. The 14nm process Intel uses is much smaller than what that "14" number let's off. The competition has caught up, sure, but Intel isn't so desperately behind that they are ****ed for good. The 10900K is still very competitive. I think the 11900K is Intel throwing filler chips out while they work on their real response. I could see this happening in 2022 as well, and then the hammer in 2023.

The main thing, is that Intel has another ~2 years before they start looking at points of no return, and since Intel has already made some moves to correct some of the issues they're currently facing, rather than continuing to grind as they have for the past 4-5 years .. I'd say they will be fine.

The new CEO may very well make some major moves in the next couple weeks/months.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 08:20 PM   #29
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

They will be fine. But Intel's 10nm **** up was epic. Resulting in them having to use TSMC's 7nm till they can get their own 7nm and 5nm production fabs up and running.

System:
Old Jan 14, 2021, 09:01 PM   #30
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
They will be fine. But Intel's 10nm **** up was epic. Resulting in them having to use TSMC's 7nm till they can get their own 7nm and 5nm production fabs up and running.
Yeah I think that's certainly evident. My knowledge of how these fabs work is limited, but if you struggle at 10nm, I don't really know how you can say "**** it" and skip to a more challenging, denser node, and expect to not have the same or more issues. This is where my concern for Intel grows.

It's also why I think Samsung sucks and will continue to. If their 8nm is crap (which it is) then why would I expect their 5nm to be any better?