Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 25, 2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Default Official Xbox Magazine

Seeing as how you can download free demos from live is it even worth it to get this mag now?
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yea, there's so much on Live I don't see how the mag would benefit someone. Never ordered it or read it though so maybe there's info on there that interesting.
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
fyrebird
Radeon R200

fyrebird is still being judged by the masses

I got a subsciption to it (I don't get to open my 360 till Christmas, though) I guess one of the up sides would be that the demos that come with the mag don't need to be installed so you don't waste space on the HDD with several demos, and the time to download them. Another advantage is reviews of games (At $60 a game, you wanna make sure it's worth it, and they are pretty detailed reviews) But this is just my view, and since I don't have the 360 out of the box yet, it probably doesn't matter much... I did open it up to make sure it worked though, and first thing I tried was the Dead Rising demo, the one minute I played it was alot of fun...
fyrebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Vengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebird View Post
I got a subsciption to it (I don't get to open my 360 till Christmas, though) I guess one of the up sides would be that the demos that come with the mag don't need to be installed so you don't waste space on the HDD with several demos, and the time to download them. Another advantage is reviews of games (At $60 a game, you wanna make sure it's worth it, and they are pretty detailed reviews) But this is just my view, and since I don't have the 360 out of the box yet, it probably doesn't matter much... I did open it up to make sure it worked though, and first thing I tried was the Dead Rising demo, the one minute I played it was alot of fun...
OMG so someone gets you an XBox 360 for Christmas....and they let you open it to make sure it works? But then you have to put it all back and wait till X-Mas?

Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:31 PM   #5
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

cheetahl is still being judged by the masses

The official magazine sometimes get exclusive demos, but those show up on live in a month.
cheetahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:35 PM   #6
LimeyGeeza
Radeon Volcanic Islands

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
OMG so someone gets you an XBox 360 for Christmas....and they let you open it to make sure it works? But then you have to put it all back and wait till X-Mas?

I've done this same thing with my Wii (except I haven't tried it out yet) it's sitting under my bed ready for Christmas - I am fighting the urge to 'make sure' it works...

As for OXM - I always buy it, the demos are sometimes out on the disk before they are on Marketplace and it's a good read.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 04:01 PM   #7
fyrebird
Radeon R200

fyrebird is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post

Yeah, it's only 30 days left, though, I'm counting down like I'm getting parole from Prison, though...
fyrebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

No point for the OXM mag, it's a complete piece of garbage.

When it first came out it was half way decent, but now litterally over 50% of the mag is advertisments, and no real content inside it at all either.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 04:52 PM   #9
KilrB
Radeon R520

KilrB is still being judged by the masses

I agree! Absolute Garbage!

I can only think of one or two times that I every got a demo that hadnt already been released on Live. Nothing worth reading in the magazine either.

Worst money I ever spent. Glad its finally over with!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I know people that don't have a computer or internet and don't go online so magazines would be useful to them for demos and info.
I think magazines are not quite the purchase they used to be with the internet available. I don't buy any mags anymore.

Last edited by Fuku2 : Nov 25, 2006 at 05:11 PM.
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

I stopped buying gaming rags a long time ago. Just too much available for free from the web. Plus like you mention, demos for pc and consoles can now be downloaded directly and pretty fast too.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Vengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
I know people that don't have a computer or internet and don't go online so magazines would be useful to them for demos and info.
I think with the internet available magazines are not quite the purchase they used to be. I don't buy any mags anymore.
Yeah I used to buy 4 or 5 a month before I got into PC's PSM, OPM, The Offical Dreamcast mag, EGM.
I may still get the OXM just for something to read while I am on the can if nothing else. I will buy an issue and check it out first before I subscrib. Last OXM I got was a few years ago when we had an XBox.
At one time we had like all the demo disks for the XBox from like 1 to 15 or so. But I made the mistake of hooking it up in the kids room and they were to young. They didn't take care of it. Games or the XBox. So this time the 360 is going in the living room and they will have a set playing time each. But my playing time will....be set by my evil wife depending on what she wants to watch on TV......

Old Nov 25, 2006, 08:12 PM   #13
Seerkin
I don't like you like you

Seerkin is still being judged by the masses

God.. stay away from this mag.

I sent away for the 1 free issue... I got 2 issues (NOT SURE WHY).

Before you knew it, I was getting letters every month saying "Pay for your subscription now, join up!" at first it was just like.. a friendly reminder that I could subscribe to the mag if I wanted to.

Later on down the line the letters got worse and worse.. infact the LAST one I just recieved informed me that they were handing my "case" over to their "collection" agency.. (basically turning it against me on my credit) if I did NOT pay them the FULL amount that I "owe" them..

Needless to say, after that last letter I called them sum bitches up.. talked to some dumb ass named hoolio and set him straight, explaining that I just wanted their free issue as I felt the magazine was a POS, not worth paying for.

Now I am off the list, they understand and they appologized.

STAY AWAY THEY ARE CRAZY!
Seerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 08:15 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I never saw the need to subscribe to another gaming magazine once I had my own internet connection.

Everything you see in the mags can usually be found online for free.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:07 PM   #15
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
No point for the OXM mag, it's a complete piece of garbage.

When it first came out it was half way decent, but now litterally over 50% of the mag is advertisments, and no real content inside it at all either.
I agree. I had their magazine from Dec 2004-Dec 2005. I dont know if they improved their content since then but from what I remember, their magazines didnt have that much content. The reviews were average, and their magazine pages were really thin. I dont see why anyone pays for any game magazine anymore since the internet gives us all the reviews, previews, and event stuff we need. From places like gamespot, ign, GT, and real game forums such as Rage3d to base comments on before making a purchase.

Lots of review sites have uncensored comment boxes to hear what other readers think.

Not to mention all of the 360 game demos could easily be grabbed off xbox live.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote