Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default nVidia Shield Gaming Tablet

Got a link to this in the mail today from nVidia. I guess instead of a Shield 2, they are keeping the Shield as their 'portable' platform and adding an 8" 1080p android tablet to their lineup.

It appears to also feature the same game streaming abilities as the Shield handheld, but with a larger screen and the ability to use a wireless controller to play (they also now have a wireless controller you can buy from them).

Link: http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

Neat idea... I'm considering this as a replacement for home so I can leave my iPad at work (commuting it back and forth is sometimes a hassle). Enjoyed my Shield handheld a lot and it's gotten pretty stable as time has moved on. I expect the tablet might give people the added ability to play strategy games and other mouse-controlled things in bed.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:35 PM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34012214

Posted in the mobile/tablet forum but seems like no one cares .

I would get one, but depends how much I would get for my tablet on ebay.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34012214

Posted in the mobile/tablet forum but seems like no one cares .

I would get one, but depends how much I would get for my tablet on ebay.
Ah, makes sense. The last post went (original Shield) was in this forum and totally forgot about the tablet forum.

No, nobody cares but me... my iPad is super old and I'm jealous of my wife's iPad mini ... the 8" screen is just about perfect.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I care too! It looks awesome, I will wait for a few reviews before deciding, but right now I am leaning towards purchasing one next week when it launches.
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:49 PM   #5
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I have this one and I really like it:

http://www.jxdofficial.com/jxd-s7800...e-console.html

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:48 AM   #6
SirBaron

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I use my galaxy note 10.1 installed limelight and use my ps3 controller, plays all games. Don't need a shield now. Hah
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I use my galaxy note 10.1 installed limelight and use my ps3 controller, plays all games. Don't need a shield now. Hah
Latency?
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:16 PM   #8
SirBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Latency?
30-50ms at the most, but that's with perfect wi-fi signal.

According to the App.

Last edited by SirBaron : Jul 24, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 01:40 AM   #9
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Almost tempted to order one right away. What is holding me back is the iPad mini 2, I had an Asus transformer prime and the android tablet experience just didn't cut it for me. While I loathe iPhones the only apple product I would buy is an iPad. How is android tablet experience right now, the shield seems to be a beast next to the iPad but ios and its apps just seems better suited for tablets.

Oh another selling point for the shield is the stylus, I would love to draw on that thing. The controller not so much, if I can use my ps4 controller with it on console mode that will persuade me even more to grab one as soon as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:17 AM   #10
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post
Almost tempted to order one right away. What is holding me back is the iPad mini 2, I had an Asus transformer prime and the android tablet experience just didn't cut it for me. While I loathe iPhones the only apple product I would buy is an iPad. How is android tablet experience right now, the shield seems to be a beast next to the iPad but ios and its apps just seems better suited for tablets.

Oh another selling point for the shield is the stylus, I would love to draw on that thing. The controller not so much, if I can use my ps4 controller with it on console mode that will persuade me even more to grab one as soon as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
After using android on my Sony Xperia 2 tablet, I have to say that it's still not near IOS in the apps department. They have gotten closer, but the selection does seem lacking on some things.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:28 AM   #11
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
After using android on my Sony Xperia 2 tablet, I have to say that it's still not near IOS in the apps department. They have gotten closer, but the selection does seem lacking on some things.
Android still has way better controller support though. Ipad is the clear winner for touch gaming though.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Android still has way better controller support though. Ipad is the clear winner for touch gaming though.
Wireless controller plus shield game streaming output to my home theatre will make this thing a pretty decent console for times I want to play games socially.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 07:50 AM   #13
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nice review from Anandtech a few days ago on the nvidia shield tablet: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8296/t...-tablet-review

The GPU on that thing is pretty incredible.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 07:53 AM   #14
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Wireless controller plus shield game streaming output to my home theatre will make this thing a pretty decent console for times I want to play games socially.
wouldnt it just be cheaper to buy a console?
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2014, 01:31 PM   #15
SirBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Nope £250 vs £350, plays thousands apon thosuands of games either Retro or streamed.

Main reason I'm not getting one is because I just don't have the cash flow, week of work sick etc, Japan, I am broke.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 01:00 AM   #16
a2014PrettyBoy
Banned

a2014PrettyBoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

well, look nice. JXD S7800A?
a2014PrettyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 02:30 AM   #17
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ok someone explain to me why anyone would buy the nVidia tablet? I get that it is a pretty good kit with the hardware it has but just what is the use for it?

I see no use whatsoever especially with an non-integrated controller. It seems so bulky and pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 02:33 AM   #18
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yeah, why do it on a tablet than playing it on your pc lol
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Maybe, but I have a work allowance that will let me buy legitimate office devices like the tablet but any console I buy I have to pay for myself. plus I already have a huge streaming library and zero console games.

So far I am enjoying it a lot. My intent is to take my iPad 3 permanently back to the office for meetings and use this for home. I got my wife an iPad mini in spring and liked the form factor so have appreciated the smaller unit. I'm not as impressed with Android though. I'm sure it's great but it seems I need so many third party apps to get it to do what I want. Plus iOS had some great gestures and controls that I truly miss. Though widgets are pretty amazing themselves.

Performances wise it seems snappier than my iPad but not as smooth in switching apps. Could be an os thing. I do really like how I can be owner of the time system, though. Much more free than iOS.

I honestly haven't gamed much on it as I have just been enjoying it as a tablet. Did play some Borderlands 2 with the wireless controller and was impressed. Streaming is smooth and flawless. It came with Android Trine 2 which I want to try and I guess I should get some recommendations for games if you have any.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:40 AM   #20
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Ok someone explain to me why anyone would buy the nVidia tablet? I get that it is a pretty good kit with the hardware it has but just what is the use for it?

I see no use whatsoever especially with an non-integrated controller. It seems so bulky and pointless.
I agree. I had hoped there would be on-screen control options but the controller is mandatory unless the game has mouse controls.

My thoughts were to play predominantly mouse-driven games with the tablet sans controller and the controller for console-mode on the TV. I think that will work out pretty well, though the mouse doesn't control quite like I want it is still pretty good (I think games have to support 'touch controls' to do exactly the way I want).

I do also have the Shield Portable which I think is still superior for laying in bed and playing (since it's all integrated). I snapped up the tablet because I have been thinking of getting a smaller form factor for home anyway and then saw this. As a tablet I'm enjoying it plus it has some added features, but if you're just looking for a handheld gaming device the Shield Portable is probably a better choice. This is a tablet first.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Cynicalking
who

I wonder if the streaming games and console mode work with a bluetooth controller, like a ds4. I just ordered the tablet but not the controller, I am more looking forward to the stylus for drawing and doodling in bed.

Also, do the tegra enabled games like trine 2, half life 2, work without said controller?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post
I wonder if the streaming games and console mode work with a bluetooth controller, like a ds4. I just ordered the tablet but not the controller, I am more looking forward to the stylus for drawing and doodling in bed.

Also, do the tegra enabled games like trine 2, half life 2, work without said controller?
I believe they do. I don't have half life but Trine 2 does have on screen controls. I love the stylus and the drawing software is pretty decent. Has good pressure sensitivity too.

I'm sure Bluetooth controllers work. I've read the ps4 controller works out of the box if you have one. Xbox works over USB but since Microsoft used proprietary wireless that's out.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 04:19 PM   #23
Cynicalking
who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
I believe they do. I don't have half life but Trine 2 does have on screen controls. I love the stylus and the drawing software is pretty decent. Has good pressure sensitivity too.

I'm sure Bluetooth controllers work. I've read the ps4 controller works out of the box if you have one. Xbox works over USB but since Microsoft used proprietary wireless that's out.
That's great to hear, thanks. Can't wait to get my hands on mine.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:02 PM   #24
a2014PrettyBoy
Banned

a2014PrettyBoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

really? honestly, i am confused it with PG9700. They are almost the same except the price and device design. But, i like the s7800b a little more. So, could you tell me how's the quality? And what about the game on it? Thks.
a2014PrettyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote