Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old May 5, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
garrett0168

garrett0168 is still being judged by the masses

Default X1900 XTX 512 MB prevents computer from booting

I purchased my Powercolor card a long time ago (1/2006) from Newegg, and have been using it until now. Sometimes, the fan on my card just keeps spinning really loudly at bootup and just halts my computer from booting. At first I thought it was my powersupply or motherboard or some other components, but eventually after some tweaking with my components, my computer was fine. But recently, this issue has resurfaced again, and I decided to test whether it was my video card.
I switched my card with another PCI-E card and boots up fine. I tried my card in another (more powerful) computer and the fan spins loudly again and no video output.
Now, there's a lot of evidence pointing against my card, but I just wanted to ask around to see if anybody else has this problem. Is this a known issue with X1900 cards? Or perhaps it may be another component in my computer?

Relevant system specs in case they may be useful:
Ultra X-Connect 500 W power supply
Intel D915PBL Desktop Board
Intel Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz w/HT
3 GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM
Powercolor X1900 XTX 512 MB

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
garrett0168

Actually, it may seem that there's no signal to my monitor. Could it be my video card, power supply, or maybe the PCI-E power cable?
Old May 5, 2007, 05:22 PM   #3
TV Addict#2
Radeon R520

TV Addict#2 is still being judged by the masses

I suspect that psu but this could be a case of a failing gpu as easy,I would start at those two parts,rma if possible
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 5, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4
garrett0168

Well, I tried the board in 2 systems, and the fan just keeps spinning and no signal to monitor. I really doubt it could be 2 failing power supplies. However, the power supplies (600W and 500W) I'm using don't have PCI-E connectors. I think it might be the PCI-E power connector or the board. Unfortunately, it looks like my warranty's already expired from ATI, so I'll try and open a RMA ticket from Powercolor.
Old May 6, 2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Question

Quote:
However, the power supplies (600W and 500W) I'm using don't have PCI-E connectors
How do you power them? They need to be plugged in to run correctly.
Old May 6, 2007, 09:31 AM   #6
garrett0168

I power my video card using the 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E power adapter that came with my video card. However, the adapter that connects to the 4 pin molex only has 3 pins (maybe purposely made for this card?)
I know that newer power supplies have a 6 pin PCI-E connector that connects directly to the video card.
Old May 8, 2007, 05:42 PM   #7
skyguy
Radeon R600

skyguy is still being judged by the masses

Default Same problem but with agp

I also have this issue, only with a x1950pro Sapphire agp card 512mb. If I'm lucky, rebooting will get video but otherwise, it will show no video. My belief is the digital VRMs on the card are faulty or overheating, and need better cooling.

I've sent it in for RMA but the same problem occurs.

I have an Antec Neo 550 watt, and my card has 2 molex connectors for power.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
alexmangano77

alexmangano77 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett0168 View Post
I purchased my Powercolor card a long time ago (1/2006) from Newegg, and have been using it until now. Sometimes, the fan on my card just keeps spinning really loudly at bootup and just halts my computer from booting. At first I thought it was my powersupply or motherboard or some other components, but eventually after some tweaking with my components, my computer was fine. But recently, this issue has resurfaced again, and I decided to test whether it was my video card.
I switched my card with another PCI-E card and boots up fine. I tried my card in another (more powerful) computer and the fan spins loudly again and no video output.
Now, there's a lot of evidence pointing against my card, but I just wanted to ask around to see if anybody else has this problem. Is this a known issue with X1900 cards? Or perhaps it may be another component in my computer?

Relevant system specs in case they may be useful:
Ultra X-Connect 500 W power supply
Intel D915PBL Desktop Board
Intel Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz w/HT
3 GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM
Powercolor X1900 XTX 512 MB

Thanks!

i am having the same issue. did you ever figure out what the cause was?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:36 PM   #9
mrbaggs
Ashes to Ashes

mrbaggs is still being judged by the masses

I actually had the same issue initially with my 4870, where it would spin up but give no signal to the monitor on boot but occasionally work with several reboots. I upgraded my PSU and changed mobos and its been fine since, i'm guessing one of those was at issue, leaning toward the PSU being the most likely cause.