Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Default ACCELL ACTIVE MiniDP->DVI adapter = ONLY 800x600

Through many and various posts here, I've mentioned that I cannot get an active display using the several ACTIVE adapters I've tried. I've had to resort to using a Monster-brand, DP->VGA adapter in order to get Eyefnity to work at all for me.
On my previous HD 5770 this worked a treat. No issues and no problems to report.

But, since selling that card and getting a HD 6870, I've had numerous problems and have tried several different adapters.

Due to the HD 6870 using a Mini DisplayPort, I've acquired a MiniDP->DP adapter in order to be able to use the previous adapters that are configured for standard DP.

The main problem now has been that, although I can get Eyefinity active using the Monster-brand DP-VGA adapter, there's a constant scrolling "bar" that moves upward across the screen similar to a low signal/interference image one gets on a standard TV at times.

So, I've once again, picked up the ACCELL adapter to see if I can get it working at all.

Well, the good news is, I can! BUT, ONLY at 800x600 resolution! Anything I attempt to do above this produces the blank/black screen that I've described previously. I do get a power signal to the monitor [constant blue light] and even get a "No Signal" on screen when I disable that screen from within CCC and the power light turns to amber.

Since the ACTIVE adapters are supposed to support up to 1900 x 1200, why isn't this working for me?

If it weren't for the low quality image via the VGA adapter, I'd leave well enough alone.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:17 AM   #2
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
Through many and various posts here, I've mentioned that I cannot get an active display using the several ACTIVE adapters I've tried. I've had to resort to using a Monster-brand, DP->VGA adapter in order to get Eyefnity to work at all for me.
On my previous HD 5770 this worked a treat. No issues and no problems to report.

But, since selling that card and getting a HD 6870, I've had numerous problems and have tried several different adapters.

Due to the HD 6870 using a Mini DisplayPort, I've acquired a MiniDP->DP adapter in order to be able to use the previous adapters that are configured for standard DP.

The main problem now has been that, although I can get Eyefinity active using the Monster-brand DP-VGA adapter, there's a constant scrolling "bar" that moves upward across the screen similar to a low signal/interference image one gets on a standard TV at times.

So, I've once again, picked up the ACCELL adapter to see if I can get it working at all.

Well, the good news is, I can! BUT, ONLY at 800x600 resolution! Anything I attempt to do above this produces the blank/black screen that I've described previously. I do get a power signal to the monitor [constant blue light] and even get a "No Signal" on screen when I disable that screen from within CCC and the power light turns to amber.

Since the ACTIVE adapters are supposed to support up to 1900 x 1200, why isn't this working for me?

If it weren't for the low quality image via the VGA adapter, I'd leave well enough alone.
unless you do content editing/creation and MUST have ICC profiles and matching printer then I highly highly doubt you notice a "low quaility image" from VGA unless you are using a $2.99 d-sub cable from Abu's Cable Emporium, much of which can be alleviated via proper display calibration. Then again maybe you have super human eyesight that is super sensitive to the color spectrum... As far as your issue,.. did you disable Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) under monitor properties ? THere are increasing reports of Eyefinity bugging out over at WSGF.. you could try there I suppose.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:30 AM   #3
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
unless you do content editing/creation and MUST have ICC profiles and matching printer then I highly highly doubt you notice a "low quaility image" from VGA unless you are using a $2.99 d-sub cable from Abu's Cable Emporium, much of which can be alleviated via proper display calibration. Then again maybe you have super human eyesight that is super sensitive to the color spectrum... As far as your issue,.. did you disable Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) under monitor properties ? THere are increasing reports of Eyefinity bugging out over at WSGF.. you could try there I suppose.
Are you angry/frustrated/overly tired or do you just come naturally at insulting people's intelligence???

Other than the upgrade from HD 5770 to the HD 6870 AND the MiniDP -> DP adapter, I'm using the very same cables and the very same Monster-brand adapter I used previously. AND, as I stated, previously there were no image problems at all using VGA.

BUT... there is NOW. And, anyone with a fair pair of eyes can readily see the problem.

If you have nothing further to contribute other than insults, I'd appreciate your avoidance of this thread.

Other than that, I have no other response for your callous and totally inept reply.

EDIT:

How about viewing this (very poor quality) video and tell me you don't see it.

~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:

Last edited by Dyre Straits : Jan 6, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:42 AM   #4
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
Are you angry/frustrated/overly tired or do you just come naturally at insulting people's intelligence???

Other than the upgrade from HD 5770 to the HD 6870 AND the MiniDP -> DP adapter, I'm using the very same cables and the very same Monster-brand adapter I used previously. AND, as I stated, previously there were no image problems at all using VGA.

BUT... there is NOW. And, anyone with a fair pair of eyes can readily see the problem.

If you have nothing further to contribute other than insults, I'd appreciate your avoidance of this thread.

Other than that, I have no other response for your callous and totally inept reply.
I offered 2 possible routes to follow (WSGF, EDID) and yes you're full of it with regards to VGA quality vs DVI (when using comparable equipment).. I've set up multiple 100s if not 1000's of computers for clients and only maybe 5 times ever did anyone ever notice a perceivable difference and this was back when not all cards were created equal.. <removed>. My current setup has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and a VGA and when calibrated I hardly doubt you or just about any normal user could distinguish which is which.

edit: that's hardly the fault of VGA, looks like a poor connection (cable related), possibly shielding or interference, nothing what so ever to do with VGA/D-Sub's analog nature vs DVI (digital)

Last edited by @md_Guy : Jan 6, 2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:44 AM   #5
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
I offered 2 possible routes to follow (WSGF, EDID) and yes you're full of it with regards to VGA quality vs DVI (when using comparable equipment).. I've set up multiple 100s if not 1000's of computers for clients and only maybe 5 times ever did anyone ever notice a perceivable difference and this was back when not all cards were created equal.. sound more like e-peen stroking to me but hey if you need a placebo to make you feel better about your purchases then by all mean.. keep on believing it. My current setup has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and a VGA and when calibrated I hardly doubt you or just about any normal user could distinguish which is which.
Get lost, man! I've posted a video of what's happening and YOU'RE the one that's full of it.

Quote:
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:50 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sounds like a bad adapter.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Sounds like a bad adapter.
Then they all have been bad...at least for me.

Quote:
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Here's an interesting development after my system upgrade of the last couple of days:

The monitor connected via the MiniDP->DP adapter + DP->VGA adapter no longer shows the scrolling bar as indicated earlier. Also, the DP-connected monitor now shows up correctly in CCC instead of as a "fake" device.

However, nothing else has changed re: the Sapphire MiniDP->DVI adapter other than I can't even get 800x600 to show now EXCEPT at the "Starting Windows" screen. That's it.

But, the image stability using VGA is totally acceptable now as I can't see any corruption at all.

And, just to point out, the ONLY items changed are: Motherboard, CPU, and RAM in this system.

Quote:
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Finally! A Successful Mini DisplayPort to DVI connection for Eyefnity!!

After trying several of the cheaper ACTIVE adapters, I finally broke down tonight and picked up the ACCELL Mini DisplayPort to DUAL-Link DVI Adapter. This one has the separate USB plug to power it.

So far, it's working! I'll need to see if this one loses sync after some extended use. BUT, this is the first adapter I've tried that has even given me a display via DVI. (I've been using a VGA adapter to make Eyefinity work at all.)

Quote: