Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Closed Thread

Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Western Digital 120GB 8MB VS Seagate 120GB 8MB cache

which of the two drives is better? WD right?
review sites don't give much info.

"WD is better. Seagate sounds better on paper but doesn't perform. yadda yadda"

which one should I buy? I alreayd have a WD 120GB and it rocks. I need another
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:44 PM   #2
sammy5gs
Radeon R200

sammy5gs is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Western Digital 120GB 8MB VS Seagate 120GB 8MB cache

Quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun
which of the two drives is better? WD right?
review sites don't give much info.

"WD is better. Seagate sounds better on paper but doesn't perform. yadda yadda"

which one should I buy? I alreayd have a WD 120GB and it rocks. I need another
I have always stayed with WD/Maxtor - never been a fan of Seagates. In fact, I purchased the 120GB WD drive you are referring to. Now, I break down main players like this:

WD - high performance, but loud
Maxtor - good performance, stable
Seagate - quiet

Notice I did not mention anything about performance on the Seagate. I have friends who have Seagates, and they swear by em, but I can rely on WD and Maxtors more. The only discernable difference in the two drivers you are comparing is the ATA100 (WD) vs. ATA133 (Seagate), which in the real world, does not mainfest itself in any true gain.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:26 PM   #3
SShadow
Radeon R300

SShadow is still being judged by the masses

The best thing about WD other than performance is the Diagnostic Utilities that come with the drive as a Floppy or downloaded from their site. Finds/fixes just about anything wrong with the WD drives. Much better than Maxtor's and infinitely better than Seagate's.

I have an 80GB Seagate that needs to be RMA because nothing will fix it. Norton's either.
- Sapphire 9600xt 128MB[ DX9b; Samsung 955F 19" CRT ]
- 80 GB Western Digital SE 8mb Cache [ WinXP Pro SP1 ]
- Yamaha CRW-F1 44x24x44x; Pioneer Slot-loading DVD
- SB Audigy Platinum [ Plantonics Audio .90 Headset; Logitech Z640 5.1 ]
- Homedics Shiatsu Massage System (Back and Feet) in a Leather Office Chair ;)
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:54 PM   #4
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

thx
I just asked because the only 2 good stores beside me had seagate in stock and no WD. I was hoping for the WD. Was wondering if I should wait til next week or get the Seagate one.

Waiting it is!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:34 PM   #5
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

From what I've seen:

Maxtor: Fast, fast, fast.
WD: Fast and sturdier drives
Seagate: Designed for durability, not performance.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:00 PM   #6
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

Some of you should really educate yourselves on the new 7200.7 series from Seagate.

I got one of those drives, here's my review...

http://www.thirtythreetech.com/modul...=article&sid=4

It actually completely crushes the 120GB Western Digital SE drive in begining and ending transfer rates (compared to the review of the WD1200JB at StorageReview.com).

It's also ultra silent (good luck trying to hear any sound out of it) and Seagate is the #1 most reliable HDD manufacturer in the world.

Seagate has been known for performance with their Cheetah 15,000RPM SCSI HDDs so I don't understand the logic there.

Last edited by jonmcc33 : Sep 19, 2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:28 PM   #7
[email protected]
host crashed ...

d@rker is still being judged by the masses

i used to have a Seagate ... 120MB !!
bought it in '92 - it lasted me 7 years .from main drive ,to backup drive ,to courier drive and to paper weight drive .
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:51 AM   #8
Nakor Allthumbs
Gibson junkie

Location: Canada The eighth concentric circle of Dantes' easy bake.
Nakor Allthumbs is still being judged by the masses

i got the maxtor 6y120PO (8mb cache) and it's ultra quiet, liquid drive bearings, and really good at large file transfers. it's a good product, and i'm more than happy with it.

Pinky: I think so, but if they called them sad meals, nobody would buy them.

Folding under Pharoh
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:29 AM   #9
jonmcc33
Banned

^^^^But overall Maxtor has one of the highest failure rates among all hard drives. I wouldn't touch one of their products with a ten foot pole.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:26 PM   #10
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

kbleft is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by jonmcc33
^^^^But overall Maxtor has one of the highest failure rates among all hard drives. I wouldn't touch one of their products with a ten foot pole.
That is IBM, not Maxtor. I've had the same maxtor drive in operation for 7 years now.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:43 PM   #11
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Default jonmcc33

jonmcc3 a question 4u:

is there only one kind of Seagate 120GB drive? I read about hte 7200.7 drives. I'm confused now. So you claim it's faster than WD 120GB 8MB cache drive? I already have a 120GB drive and if that is loud for anyone then they have problems!

so how can I tell I'm buying a Seagate 7200.7 drive and not just a Seagate 120GB 7200RPM without the .7 revision ?

Thanks for the help!

but you've got me all confused now!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:49 PM   #12
[email protected]
host crashed ...

d@rker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
funny ... a friend of mine think the same about Seagate and IBM .
he's a WD convert now .
from where do you get those statistics ?

i've only had one Maxtor (4.3Gb) failing on me after over 5 years of service ,with several systems swapping ,flat movings and a trip from Portugal to the UK ... next tuesday i'm expecting another one ,the Plus 9 160Gb 7200rpm 8mb .
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

speaking of failing HD's

I had a 6.4GB Quantum Fireball that fried somehow!
and my cousin had the same one, that just magically fried outta nowhere when nobody was doing anything with it!

I do still have a 30GB Quantum Fireball that is working after 3yrs.

Speaking of working HD's I have some IBM one from my 486 days. It was 256MB, and it's about 8yrs old now. It makes a great documents and resume dump drive
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:59 PM   #14
Kortan
Radeon R700

Kortan is still being judged by the masses

Personnally, I'll never buy anything else but Western. I don't like Maxtor, they fail on me, and Seagate too. I don't care which one is the fastest. To me, reliability is the #1 priority when I buy a hdd and Western gives me that, so thats why I buy them. You just can't go wrong with Western.

EDIT: AND my WD 120gb 8mb cache was $110 at futureshop with all the rebates, including taxes, so you just can't beat that price.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 05:19 PM   #15
myckee
Radeon R520

myckee is still being judged by the masses

All things being equal, the Seagate and Maxtor drives are the kings right now.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drives are their second generation drives, their first being the Barracuda V. The 7200.7 drives have faster access times and deliver higher performance. If you buy one of these drives, make sure you are ordering the proper drive. The part numbers are almost the same between the 2 drives, where only the last digit is changed. Many retailers are advertising their old stock V versions as the new 7200.7, but the part number actually corresponds to the old version. Check www.seagate.com for the proper part numbers.

ST3120023AS Barracuda Serial ATA V 120 GB
ST3120026AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120 GB

ST380013AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB
ST380023AS Barracuda Serial ATA V 80 GB

Hardocp did a comparo between the Seagate, Maxtor and the WD Raptor. Note this isn't the standard WD drive, but the Raptor, which is aimed at bussiness server computers, and is only 36 gigs and more than double the price of the Seagate or Maxtor 120GB.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTIy

I have the Seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 and it is an absolutely fantastic drive.

All my old Maxtor regular ata drives have never failed me, but many people are having problems with the Maxtor Serial-ata drives. If you check out the forums at www.abxzone.com, there are many with messed up Maxtor s-ata drives. Based on this, I would stear clear of the Maxtor drives. I have yet to see any negative comments on the Seagate s-ata drives.

Last edited by myckee : Sep 20, 2003 at 06:02 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:19 PM   #16
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kbleft
That is IBM, not Maxtor. I've had the same maxtor drive in operation for 7 years now.
One drive, GOOD FOR YOU! I'm talking overall out of the hundreds of Maxtor drives I have experience with.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:23 PM   #17
jonmcc33
Banned

Default Re: jonmcc33

Quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun
jonmcc3 a question 4u:

is there only one kind of Seagate 120GB drive? I read about hte 7200.7 drives. I'm confused now. So you claim it's faster than WD 120GB 8MB cache drive? I already have a 120GB drive and if that is loud for anyone then they have problems!

so how can I tell I'm buying a Seagate 7200.7 drive and not just a Seagate 120GB 7200RPM without the .7 revision ?

Thanks for the help!

but you've got me all confused now!
Yes, there are much older series. The most modern series are Barracuda IV, Barracuda V, and now Barracuda 7200.7.

How can you tell? There's a huge difference as shown at my review. The older 120GB Barracuda V Plus 8MB cache drive has a SeaShield plate on the bottom of the drive to cover the controller PCB. The 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 8MB cache drive has no plate, the controller PCB is in plain view.

There are other differences obviously, check out my review as posted above.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:29 PM   #18
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
funny ... a friend of mine think the same about Seagate and IBM .
he's a WD convert now .
from where do you get those statistics ?

i've only had one Maxtor (4.3Gb) failing on me after over 5 years of service ,with several systems swapping ,flat movings and a trip from Portugal to the UK ... next tuesday i'm expecting another one ,the Plus 9 160Gb 7200rpm 8mb .
LOL! Another doubter. Look, you're the hundredth person to doubt me on this and I have proven all wrong before. I'm talking of my experience with hard drives, which numbers in the thousands from Dell workstations (GX1, GX110, GX240, GX260) and servers (pick a PowerEdge server and the USAF has it).

The most reliable are Seagate HDDs. I only replaced one in two years out of a workstation and never once any of the servers (with Cheetah SCSI HDDs). Consider the complete abuse our servers go through and you'll realize what reliability is.

Most reliable, from my actual hands on experience, are Seagate HDDs. Western Digital is a distant second but not as bad as Maxtor. I used to joke with Dell service reps not to send me a Maxtor HDD to replace a dead Maxtor HDD.

You = one or two Maxtor HDDs
Me = over 500 Maxtor HDDs

So please don't doubt my words again.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:32 PM   #19
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kortan
Personnally, I'll never buy anything else but Western. I don't like Maxtor, they fail on me, and Seagate too. I don't care which one is the fastest. To me, reliability is the #1 priority when I buy a hdd and Western gives me that, so thats why I buy them. You just can't go wrong with Western.

EDIT: AND my WD 120gb 8mb cache was $110 at futureshop with all the rebates, including taxes, so you just can't beat that price.
My 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 8MB cache drive was $103 with free shipping. It completely toasts your WD HDD, is silent (unlike your non-FDB having WD HDD), and also indeed will last years longer than your WD HDD.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:33 PM   #20
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by myckee

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drives are their second generation drives, their first being the Barracuda V. The 7200.7 drives have faster access times and deliver higher performance. If you buy one of these drives, make sure you are ordering the proper drive. The part numbers are almost the same between the 2 drives, where only the last digit is changed. Many retailers are advertising their old stock V versions as the new 7200.7, but the part number actually corresponds to the old version. Check www.seagate.com for the proper part numbers.

ST3120023AS Barracuda Serial ATA V 120 GB
ST3120026AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120 GB

ST380013AS Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80 GB
ST380023AS Barracuda Serial ATA V 80 GB

Hardocp did a comparo between the Seagate, Maxtor and the WD Raptor. Note this isn't the standard WD drive, but the Raptor, which is aimed at bussiness server computers, and is only 36 gigs and more than double the price of the Seagate or Maxtor 120GB.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTIy

I have the Seagate 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 and it is an absolutely fantastic drive.

All my old Maxtor regular ata drives have never failed me, but many people are having problems with the Maxtor Serial-ata drives. If you check out the forums at www.abxzone.com, there are many with messed up Maxtor s-ata drives. Based on this, I would stear clear of the Maxtor drives. I have yet to see any negative comments on the Seagate s-ata drives.

The 7 implies 7th generation. Know yer facts bud.

I have two 60GB Barracuda IV drives...where'd they come from? There were Barracuda III drives before that, and so on and so on.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:43 PM   #21
Jackl
Always watching.

Jackl is still being judged by the masses

I have 2 120gig WDs, and for you guys to think its loud a pin prick must blow out your eardrums

But then again that just may be my drives*shrug*

I've owned 4 drives in all, 2 WDs 120gigers, 1 WD 80gig, and an old 10gig from Seagate.

With all of these drives I've never had problem, so I don't have any horror stories to give out about a certain maker of a drive.

As towards performance, generally I've never liked Seagates IDE drives...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:43 PM   #22
myckee
Radeon R520

myckee is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

The 7 implies 7th generation. Know yer facts bud.

I have two 60GB Barracuda IV drives...where'd they come from? There were Barracuda III drives before that, and so on and so on.
Well once you learn how to read, and understand context, you will see that I am speaking of S-ata drives in which the 7200.7 is the second generation, the first being the V. Hmm now don't you feel silly.

Last edited by myckee : Sep 20, 2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:17 PM   #23
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackl
I have 2 120gig WDs, and for you guys to think its loud a pin prick must blow out your eardrums

But then again that just may be my drives*shrug*

I've owned 4 drives in all, 2 WDs 120gigers, 1 WD 80gig, and an old 10gig from Seagate.

With all of these drives I've never had problem, so I don't have any horror stories to give out about a certain maker of a drive.

As towards performance, generally I've never liked Seagates IDE drives...
Then you've never heard Seagate's FDB motors then, have you? That's quiet. As per StorageReview.com, Western Digital doesn't come close to Seagate in silence. Maybe you have too many fans to hear the drives?

You've never liked Seagate's performance? You said you've owned only one drive, a 10GB drive. Where else do you have experience?

I have also already posted a review I did with benchmarks showing they perform better than Western Digital's SE drives.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:22 PM   #24
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by myckee
Well once you learn how to read, and understand context, you will see that I am speaking of S-ata drives in which the 7200.7 is the second generation, the first being the V. Hmm now don't you feel silly.
No, I don't feel silly. I read the beginning of your post which starts like this:

Quote:

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drives are their second generation drives, their first being the Barracuda V.
Your first two sentences contain nothing about SATA nor do you imply by those two that it is their second generation of SATA drives.

Your only mention of SATA is for the model numbers and at the very end of your post when you mention poor Maxtor SATA performance/issues.

Nowhere in your entire post do you imply that the 7200.7 is the second generation of Seagate's SATA drives.

But this post does clear up your poor sentence and paragraph structure a little, in that which you are correct had you stated that in the first place.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:18 PM   #25
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
One drive, GOOD FOR YOU! I'm talking overall out of the hundreds of Maxtor drives I have experience with.
I use at least 6 maxtor drives, right now. One has been in operation 7 years. The others are somewhere in between. I have never experienced problems with maxtor ide drives.

Last edited by kbleft : Sep 20, 2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:24 PM   #26
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
LOL! Another doubter. Look, you're the hundredth person to doubt me on this and I have proven all wrong before. I'm talking of my experience with hard drives, which numbers in the thousands from Dell workstations (GX1, GX110, GX240, GX260) and servers (pick a PowerEdge server and the USAF has it).

The most reliable are Seagate HDDs. I only replaced one in two years out of a workstation and never once any of the servers (with Cheetah SCSI HDDs). Consider the complete abuse our servers go through and you'll realize what reliability is.

Most reliable, from my actual hands on experience, are Seagate HDDs. Western Digital is a distant second but not as bad as Maxtor. I used to joke with Dell service reps not to send me a Maxtor HDD to replace a dead Maxtor HDD.

You = one or two Maxtor HDDs
Me = over 500 Maxtor HDDs

So please don't doubt my words again.
Words are just words. Highly suspect compared to personal experience. If you had any documentation, maybe that would be probative of maxtor's poor reliability. You can talk about your "over 500 Maxtor HDDs" all day, but its just talk, and I'm inclined to doubt anybody who makes such conclusory statements on a BB.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:41 PM   #27
Kortan
Radeon R700

Kortan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
My 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 8MB cache drive was $103 with free shipping. It completely toasts your WD HDD, is silent (unlike your non-FDB having WD HDD), and also indeed will last years longer than your WD HDD.
That's $110 cad pal, not usd, but cad. And that's at a local shop, so there's no shipping at all.
And I don't care whether you tested hundreds of seagate drives and I don't care whether you can see into the future, but I will never buy anything else than Western drives, and that's the bottom line.
I've used seagate drives before, not the new ones, but pretty old ones, and I did not like them, whereas I've always liked my WD drives.

And talking about silence ? I don't hear it at all...I guess I'm lucky.

EDIT: And I will say it again: I don't care about the performance. to me the #1 thing I look at a hdd is reliability, and haven't had one WD fail on me up until now, maybe it'll change, I don't know, but that's why I buy them, that's it.

Last edited by Kortan : Sep 20, 2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:48 PM   #28
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Speaking of SATA, what's the verdict on the Seagate 120gb version w/ 8mb cache? Are they the equivalent of the PATA .7 drives?
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:24 PM   #29
Urist
Radeon R100

Urist is still being judged by the masses

Where I work we don't get many drives that could be considered "good", we get mostly crap (with some exceptions)... A lot of crap..

So, here is my list of "crap" hard drives.

Fujitsu - avoid like the plague, everything is wrong with these drives. Got out of the buisiness but if you have any kicking around, beware.

Quantum - For some reason this company went from great to making some awfully bad hard drives that like to self destruct.. then disspeared.... (sucked up by Maxtor, or merged, or something)..

IBM - Everyone started putting these into servers.. Big mistake..

Maxtor - I just replaced a Maxtor 40g with a Seagate 80g, Maxtors range from okay to noisy little *****es. My old one would make scary noises like it was going to self destruct, sort of that *thwack* noise that Quantum drives liked to make before they stopped working, but never seemed to follow through. BTW: it was noisy out of the box about a year ago. Just bought some new ones at work and they seem quiet.

Western Digital - Had a few die at work, seem pretty fragile (physically). Also some of the cheapest drives you can currently buy (that alone scares me). The few we do have in service are noisy little pricks, but as long as they stay fixed in a case and not moved around a lot they seem to keep going.

_

I like seagate, we have a lot of seagate scsi drives at work and they are tanks. A lot of them have been going 24/7 for over 5 years and are still solid. ATA Seagate drives are pretty rare (for me), but i've got a bunch of 850 meg ATA seagate drives kicking around and they all work flawlessly even after getting booted around the office for a good year. I'm tempted to use em in little FreeBSD servers and such just to get them off my bench.

And the one I just bought is inaudible. Although I am comparing it to a Maxtor that could drown out a Pratt & Whittney J75.

I have yet to see a Seagate go bad, although i've heard stories. I bet that shortly after writing this mine is going to erase itself just to make me look stupid.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:11 AM   #30
HybridHB
Radeon Northern Islands

HybridHB is still being judged by the masses

I hate my WD, its loud and clicks on start up's sometimes (causing a system hang on POST). I wish i would have gotten the seagate after the first week. Which was the 2 brands it came down to. I have the 80gb SE. Its a turd i say.

Last edited by HybridHB : Sep 21, 2003 at 02:09 AM.
Closed Thread