Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

Default Hey, I got a podcast!

About a month or so ago, my local comic shop invited me to become part of their regular weekly podcast. The invitation was a welcome opportunity, but presented a sort of quandary for me: The podcast was about comics (your typical reviews, comics news, etc.)...but my weekly stack of comics (2 or 3) paled in comparison to the large piles of books the hosts had access to. One of the hosts (Kita) works at the shop, so she basically has access to ALL the books. The other guys spend way more on books a week than I do.

Anyway, I started looking for other ways to contribute besides reading comics for review purposes, so I got into interviewing people in comics and comic-book related fields, and providing those interviews as a separate segment to the podcast. So far, I've interviewed (from latest to earliest):

Andy Poon, costume and character concept designer on Arrow and Smallville (he was responsible for the overall look of Green Arrow and most of the earlier Justice League characters as they appeared on Smallville, and has done the design for three of the supporting characters to appear on Arrow, including Huntress, Deathstroke, and an as-yet unnamed villain which might or might not be the guy on this Wednesday nite, which I believe will be a certain monacle-wearing assassin). This one will be on the podcast Wednesday.

Jonathan Matthews, figure/statue sculptor for DC Direct/DC Collectibles, adept at translating the style of a given 2-D artist like Mike Mignola or Kirby into a 3D work of art. The below is a photograph of one of his statues, designed in the style of Mignola...it looks 2D from any angle:

Randy Bowen, one of the biggest names in comics collectibles, with Bowen Designs, did the sculpt of the Superman statue you see on the shelf in Seinfeld, was actually on an episode of the show as a walk-on, been sculpting since the 70's.

Joseph Weisman, a producer in Hollywood, responsible for Zombie Family over at FunnyOrDie and other strange projects.

In the next couple weeks, providing schedules align, I've got an interview lined up with a top storyboard artist (worked on Batman TAS, Superman, Justice League, Avengers EMH, and a bunch of others).

So, yeah, we're not getting the superstar pencilers and writers (yet), but I think we're getting a good mix of people who are masters in their field, and/or may have contributed to comics and comics-related media in unexpected and interesting ways.

If you're interested, the podcast is hosted over at CaptainBlueHen.com, and linked to at our facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/FromTheBooth, and is available on iTunes. If you like what you hear, head on over to the Facebook page and "like" us...there's no money in it for any of us, none at all, but it's pretty bonerific when we get new "likes" and it's pretty much the only way we track listenership.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but rest assured I already know about my "Kermit" voice...I'm working on it lol. For now, it's enough for me that I'm putting myself out there, so to speak.

By the way, the excellent DC Vertigo title Transmetropolitan is on sale 99 cents an issue at Comixology...you really should check that out if you're into comics and haven't already. Support/Use your local comic shop portal, or, if you don't have a local shop, use the one at CaptainBluehen.com. The writer (Warren Ellis) does a collumn over at vice.com if you haven't seen that.

Last edited by HiThere : Oct 22, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
HiThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2
HiThere
salty cracker

So, including this self-reply, this thread about our podcast is currently 34 times less popular than a thread entitled "skid mark chart", 84 times less popular than gangnam style, and 31 times less popular than that Eisberg thread about random people talking sports to him while in line at McDonalds.

I mean, I know we're no motorcycle made out of naked girls, but I think we rate higher than "skid mark chart".

Rage3d, I am most displeased with your apparent lack of progress....

Last edited by HiThere : Oct 25, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiThere View Post
So, including this self-reply, this thread about our podcast is currently 34 times less popular than a thread entitled "skid mark chart", 84 times less popular than gangnam style, and 31 times less popular than that Eisberg thread about random people talking sports to him while in line at McDonalds.

I mean, I know we're no motorcycle made out of naked girls, but I think we rate higher than "skid mark chart".

Shitting your pants is like winnning the lottery around here
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That is the ****ing real green arrow. Not this asshole on tv now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiThere View Post

you're advertizing your podcast at another site, it's not going to drive discussion here. It's cool and all if that's your thing but you're not going to get discussion in this thread about it unless you do something different here than you do at the main site you're promoting.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
HiThere
salty cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
you're advertizing your podcast at another site, it's not going to drive discussion here. It's cool and all if that's your thing but you're not going to get discussion in this thread about it unless you do something different here than you do at the main site you're promoting.
Well, I didn't think I'd get a whole ton of people discussing and debating, and I don't even mind if I drive a ton of traffic to it or not....but I did expect at least 2 or 3 people to reply with a "that's cool" or "christ that's lame" or some such. I thought, maybe incorrectly, that the mere fact I was doing a podcast was slightly more interesting than, say, a story about what happened to me in line at McDonald's, or stained underwear...

If others post about the day at work they had, or the girl they're dating (okay, so maybe a rager on a date IS big news) then I'd have expected at least some interest, that's all.

Last edited by HiThere : Oct 26, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:38 PM   #8
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

€L1T€ is still being judged by the masses

cool story bra.jpg

not cool enough for me to google for the jpeg though
€L1T€ is offline   Reply With Quote