Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 7, 2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default B-die memory was not supposed to be discontinued ?

https://www.techpowerup.com/283086/g...ddr4-4000-32gb

I just saw this ones ... There were some years ago the news that samsung will stop making b-dies but it seems manufacturers continue to get timings lower and lower from these and higher frequencies.This may be the best of the best DDR4 ram as latency and frequency...
DDR5 is aproaching ...
Old Jun 8, 2021, 05:24 AM   #2
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Either it wasn't actually discontinued or G.Skill stockpiled a whole bunch of chips.

These won't be worth buying in any case. They'll be half a percent faster in memory sensitive applications and CPU limited gaming than a cheaper b-die bin, and like 5% faster than Micron E that will cost half as much or less. In non-memory sensitive applications it won't make any difference.

Plenty of people will buy them anyway and then run them at XMP settings where most of their performance potential goes to waste.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2021, 06:14 AM   #3
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Either it wasn't actually discontinued or G.Skill stockpiled a whole bunch of chips.

These won't be worth buying in any case. They'll be half a percent faster in memory sensitive applications and CPU limited gaming than a cheaper b-die bin, and like 5% faster than Micron E that will cost half as much or less. In non-memory sensitive applications it won't make any difference.

Plenty of people will buy them anyway and then run them at XMP settings where most of their performance potential goes to waste.

Actually there seems to be some tangible for ryzen 7 1700 at least in 1% low.The price is kinda not worth it.I have cheap b-die now and i can run at 3200 14-14-14-36

Last edited by badsykes : Jun 8, 2021 at 06:58 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 8, 2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

B-Die was never pulled out of production. G.Skill is also not the only manufacturer using B-Die.

Most people buying these high-end kits are not running XMP; it’s for high-end OCers.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2021, 09:56 AM   #5
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
B-Die was never pulled out of production. G.Skill is also not the only manufacturer using B-Die.

Most people buying these high-end kits are not running XMP; it’s for high-end OCers.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14327...ie-ddr4-memory
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:56 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yes, it was reported and maybe considered, but it never actually stopped. B-Die has sold incredibly well and Samsung has made money hand-over-fist with it. They have gone too far now though and the binning has gotten too much .. but you see G.Skill bumping prices up with some of this “binning.”
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Jun 8, 2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 06:27 PM   #7
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:

I don't whether that is actually the case. I wouldn't be surprised if most people buying it are hyper-enthusiasts with too much money on their hands who just want "the best" and don't realize that they're not actually getting more performance than a tweaked low end kit.

High end memory OCers are definitely the crowd that should be buying these sticks, but in reality I'm afraid that may not be what actually happens.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That's why people go for the high frequency garbage that are actually terrible bins of B-Die

I see those fake enthusiasts grabbing the 4400+ kits that are running 1.55v on XMP with terrible timings lol
Old Jun 9, 2021, 01:20 AM   #9
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's pretty much identical to my kit. Only difference is this is CL14 1.55v, while mine is CL15 1.5v. Pretty sure my kit can do CL14 at 1.55v.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 02:45 AM   #10
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's why people go for the high frequency garbage that are actually terrible bins of B-Die

I see those fake enthusiasts grabbing the 4400+ kits that are running 1.55v on XMP with terrible timings lol
I have a Patriot 4000mhz cl19 but i know that i payed less than gskill

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,1.html

I may be the fake enthuziast
Old Jun 9, 2021, 06:23 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
I have a Patriot 4000mhz cl19 but i know that i payed less than gskill

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,1.html

I may be the fake enthuziast
Nah. These 4400CL18/19 kits are super overpriced but people think they’re “good bins” because of the frequency. The best binned B-Die kits are 4000CL14 at 1.45v (which existed before this Royal Elite crap) and the 3800CL14 kits. The problem with those, is that typically they’re running higher voltages, so you’re better off getting a 3200CL14 kit @ 1.35v and rolling the dice.

My 3200CL15 kit is better than a lot of these 3600/3800 kits that are out there, but it’s all luck of the draw on the quality of your ICs.

I’m running 4133 17-17-17-32 with very tight secondary and tertiary timings at 1.52v vDIMM.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 07:27 AM   #12
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Nah. These 4400CL18/19 kits are super overpriced but people think they’re “good bins” because of the frequency. The best binned B-Die kits are 4000CL14 at 1.45v (which existed before this Royal Elite crap) and the 3800CL14 kits. The problem with those, is that typically they’re running higher voltages, so you’re better off getting a 3200CL14 kit @ 1.35v and rolling the dice.

My 3200CL15 kit is better than a lot of these 3600/3800 kits that are out there, but it’s all luck of the draw on the quality of your ICs.

I’m running 4133 17-17-17-32 with very tight secondary and tertiary timings at 1.52v vDIMM.
Well when i shopped for those i saw this guide

He recommended the Patriot as a value orientated B-die kit.I can't complain for the money.I didn't want to pay for gskill premium special for ryzen ones.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 07:33 AM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah, I’m not saying it’s a bad kit or even talking specifically about your kit. Buildzoid is great for a lot of things, but much of his videos regarding memory OCing is not very accurate or useful. There are a ton of people on OCN that know far more and countered much of what he claims. While a lot of his info can be taken as gospel, some of it is useless; I regard his memory OCing and really anything to do with memory under the latter category.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 03:35 AM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yeah, I’m not saying it’s a bad kit or even talking specifically about your kit. Buildzoid is great for a lot of things, but much of his videos regarding memory OCing is not very accurate or useful. There are a ton of people on OCN that know far more and countered much of what he claims. While a lot of his info can be taken as gospel, some of it is useless; I regard his memory OCing and really anything to do with memory under the latter category.

As a non-hardcore overclocker i have been ok with his advices.It's good there are others that can correct his stuff.Not many people will get so in depth in pc modifcations like he is so to have alternatives is welcomed.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:57 PM   #15
Nagorak

Quote:

Yeah, memory binning is very weird. I had a 4000 CL17 kit that was super expensive (over $300 at the time, but that was when memory was super expensive) and yet it actually kind of sucked and clocked worse than a 4000 CL19-21-21 kit I had, and not really any better than some 3200 CL14 kits I've had. On the other hand, I've also had a few 3200 CL14 kits that sucked (some of the worst were from TEAM, which I will avoid in the future; they also had no temp sensors while having temperature sensitive b-die in them ).

I'm guessing that memory vendors like G.Skill don't aggressively bin every single stick. If they need 3200 CL14 they just test a bunch to those specs and then ship them, rather than checking to see if any of them can do tighter timings. I guess that would just be too time consuming, especially considering the lower/cheaper kits probably sell in much larger numbers. The end result being that you can get a good pair of sticks out of any average or better binned kit.

I am also wary of the high voltage kits because they don't have much headroom left in them. If you give 1.5v or 1.55v to any halfway decent b-die you'll get 3600 CL14-15-15 or 3800 CL14-16-16. Those timings actually aren't that exceptional. Personally, I'd rather just roll the dice on 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL16 and save the money.