Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 2, 2021, 05:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default I might have to ditch my S21 Ultra for a 12 Pro Max

Call waiting is broken, screen freezes.
Can't hear whoever is on the other end, even bank menus sometimes, or voicemail. edit: this is random, not all the time...
Those 2 are massive deal breakers as a very ill family member can't afford to be hung up on if she needs me.
Doesn't like to sync with my laptop on occasion.

Carrier updates also hang up (freeze) the phone for minutes at a time, sometimes needing a reboot.

Camera is awesome, everything else it does is quick, sweet screen and all that, but the gremlins are really beginning to get to me. And I hate having to reset to hopefully get things right.

The other feather in Apples cap is the privacy direction Apple is taking. It's very appealing. Other than the settings menus (preference) and the Apples take on gestures (again, preference) there's not much about the 12 Pro max that isn't appealing.

I don't hate the S21, but it's really getting on my last nerve.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2021, 07:27 AM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

How about OnePlus?

I've not bought Samsung since the Note 5, and I don't regret that one bit.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

That sounds more like the phone might be broken? If I encountered that I'd want my phone replaced.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

not a fan of samsung myself, let alone apple. There are a lot of other mobiles that would fit your bill though, like the Xiaomi or the OnePlus. That aside i'd try to get a replacement for your phone first, if that also fails, well, then get whatever you want.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've got to look at the OnePlus. I've been following the info here about it and read plenty of reviews...seems like a really solid device.

I will try to get another phone before doing anything though. It's just maddening that an expensive, brand new flagship phone can be such a pain.

I never had any major issues with the Note 8, but I probably won't buy Samsung again after this frustration.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 04:53 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I've been buying OnePlus exclusively since Essential went under. Couldn't be happier. I've got a backup 6T at home, my wife has a 7T, and I have an 8T.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 05:12 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I've been buying OnePlus exclusively since Essential went under. Couldn't be happier. I've got a backup 6T at home, my wife has a 7T, and I have an 8T.
I miss my Essential lol. It wasn't the end all be all, but it sure was a solid device.

That said, I love the looks/specs on the 8T

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do yet - this thread and talking / bitching it out with friends is how I get my mind made up. Not super efficient, but it works lol.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 05:39 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The 9 and 9 Pro are out, but there are some really good deals (even on OnePlus site directly) for the 8T+5G. I have one and love it.

I've been OnePlus since the 7T and a few of us have had nothing but good things to say. I bought their OnePlus Buds and they work fantastic with the phone as well. Super cheap too; beats the hell out of the overpriced $200 Apple buds.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The 9 and 9 Pro are out, but there are some really good deals (even on OnePlus site directly) for the 8T+5G. I have one and love it.

I've been OnePlus since the 7T and a few of us have had nothing but good things to say. I bought their OnePlus Buds and they work fantastic with the phone as well. Super cheap too; beats the hell out of the overpriced $200 Apple buds.
And they FINALLY fixed the software issue with the Buds/Bud Z's so it no longer cuts audio in Game Mode. My Bud Z's are getting a lot more use now.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

Man that 9 Pro is one good looking phone.

I'm going to hash things out with Samsung again, at least try to get a new phone to sell and probably make a decision after that.

I really like the looks of that 9 Pro though
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:02 PM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Get the iPhone. Everything else is garbage.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:00 AM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Wrong, and dumb.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Meh.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 08:14 AM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:11 PM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

For better or worse I went with the 12 Pro Max for now. I had another call from my mother, couldn't hear her and had visions of her laying on the floor unable to speak. Pushed me over the edge, so I made the call based on Apples new privacy initiatives mostly.

We're trying our best to cut out any and all unwanted tracking, accounts and other garbage, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback guys
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:22 PM   #16
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
For better or worse I went with the 12 Pro Max for now. I had another call from my mother, couldn't hear her and had visions of her laying on the floor unable to speak. Pushed me over the edge, so I made the call based on Apples new privacy initiatives mostly.

We're trying our best to cut out any and all unwanted tracking, accounts and other garbage, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Google is following suit with the privacy stuff soon.

But you know exactly what you're getting with apple. Amazing hardware and boring/serviceable yet super reliable iOS. Enjoy the phone.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:23 PM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Google is following suit with the privacy stuff soon.

But you know exactly what you're getting with apple. Amazing hardware and boring/serviceable yet super reliable iOS. Enjoy the phone.
I'll still be using Google, so that's good to know. Little bit of a re-learning curve and I should be set.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:03 PM   #18
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Sensible choice. Hope your mom is OK.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:02 PM   #19
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
This is exactly why my family all have iphones. They actually get updates for 4+ years. Never used one plus, but the only android device I've ever owned that actually got some updates after a year was one made by google.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2021, 08:46 PM   #20
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Well, setup has been super easy so far. Apple developed that "Move to iOS" app for android and that saved a lot of work. Beautiful phone, just still have lots of updates and preferences to set up.

Looking forward to learning what changes they've made over the years
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:24 AM   #21
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Just to make it official, I love this device. I should have gone with it as a first choice. Calls to and from Mom are crystal clear all the time too and connectivity is crisper and seems faster pretty much all the time.

Apple watch 6 up next.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:58 AM   #22
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Just to make it official, I love this device. I should have gone with it as a first choice. Calls to and from Mom are crystal clear all the time too and connectivity is crisper and seems faster pretty much all the time.

Apple watch 6 up next.
Wait a week and see what comes out of WWDC (keynote should be in an hour or so). If they add glucose to the series 7 that could be worth the wait unless you got pressing health issues that need monitoring now.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:59 AM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Apple watch 6 up next.
On sale on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Apple-Wat...fter04-20&th=1
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:10 AM   #24
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks

edit: I should get the red one. The wife would be asking "Who the heck are you?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Wait a week and see what comes out of WWDC (keynote should be in an hour or so). If they add glucose to the series 7 that could be worth the wait unless you got pressing health issues that need monitoring now.
Just the O2 monitoring for now thankfully. I'll watch anyway though
Old Jun 8, 2021, 01:07 AM   #25
KAC
It might be gays!

Get the Dino strap with Apple Watch to make it hip.
Glad you like the device. Only people without the iPhone experience still advocate non iPhone devices.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 03:19 AM   #26
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Sometimes it's just preference...Samsung got a lot right with their latest devices. I still prefer their camera on the S21 and the android OS.

That said, everything about the latest iphone is premium, from hardware to call quality, and right now that call quality brings a lot of peace of mind.

I'm going after a conf. call this morning to pick the watch up and I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. This fitbit I'm using has always felt like a cheap knock off of a cheap knock off lol.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 09:39 AM   #27
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Sometimes it's just preference...Samsung got a lot right with their latest devices. I still prefer their camera on the S21 and the android OS.

That said, everything about the latest iphone is premium, from hardware to call quality, and right now that call quality brings a lot of peace of mind.

I'm going after a conf. call this morning to pick the watch up and I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. This fitbit I'm using has always felt like a cheap knock off of a cheap knock off lol.

Cant even compare a fitbit in terms of build quality

I went without an apple watch for a very long time(I didnt pick one up til earlier this year) and I never thought I needed/wanted one. I couldnt figure out where it would fit in my life to justify having it. It wasnt until I got one, reluctantly, to see how it would work for me. Enjoy the watch too

Might as well go hard and pick yourself an iPad

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2021, 09:55 AM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

I went without an apple watch for a very long time(I didnt pick one up til earlier this year) and I never thought I needed/wanted one. I couldnt figure out where it would fit in my life to justify having it. It wasnt until I got one, reluctantly, to see how it would work for me. Enjoy the watch too

And a Macbook Pro

I do absolutely love my MBP, which I can't say for iDevices.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:16 AM   #29
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

I am the wife is getting for my birthday lol.

My only other Apple watch was the series 2 and I never found anything that even comes close. It was a mistake moving to another brand.

But I have repented The 6 is sitting on the seat next to me lol.

The ipad comes in August.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:17 AM   #30
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
And a Macbook Pro

I do absolutely love my MBP, which I can't say for iDevices.
My buddy sold his MBP and he's regretting it now.