Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:29 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Not at 4k/60 it didnt at the time (2017 on)...
That's kind of the issue, though. 1080p performance is indicative of the CPU performance. If it's slower at 1080p, then eventually that bottleneck will catch up. With the 3080, I can easily see a Zen1 chip being a bottleneck; maybe even at 1440p?

Ryzen has been a massive stepping stone for AMD, but the IPC was abysmal at the start. They've come a very long way from Zen1 to where they are now. It's great to see.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 02:36 AM   #92
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Not at 4k/60 it didnt at the time (2017 on)...
There's plenty of resolutions other than 4k/60.. Anyway, it still mattered at that res too in PC games like Total War, ARMA, and plenty others.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:51 AM   #93
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

For 1440P and 4K gaming will I see massive gains compared to an 8086K at 4.8?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2020, 08:15 AM   #94
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
For 1440P and 4K gaming will I see massive gains compared to an 8086K at 4.8?
Is the CPU released yet? How can anyone answer that for you?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 09:59 AM   #95
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Is the CPU released yet? How can anyone answer that for you?

Well excuse me for speculating here
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:25 AM   #96
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Well excuse me for speculating here
Dude, there's speculating and being able to actually answer your question.

In theory, if the new Ryzens are beating Intel's top chip it would clearly beat ours as well.

yoz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:09 AM   #97
KAC
It might be gays!

But the question was will it matter at 1440P and 4K. All reviews I saw of 10900K vs 8086K at 5G are super close (about 5-8% delta).

Example here: https://youtu.be/SVTowB718yQ
Old Oct 2, 2020, 01:08 PM   #98
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
But the question was will it matter at 1440P and 4K. All reviews I saw of 10900K vs 8086K at 5G are super close (about 5-8% delta).

Example here: https://youtu.be/SVTowB718yQ
That's for you to answer! Personally I'd rather spend the cash on a new gen vid card than same amount on CPU and mobo and get 25/30 % more.

yoz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 01:44 PM   #99
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Debating updgrading to a 10850k over my 3700x for a 3080. What are your gents thoughts? I havent paid much attention to the new ryzen series. I just know CPU games like FF14, LoL, and Overwatch my 3700x is highly limiting the system. Or would getting a 9900k for $350 be the better deal?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 01:51 PM   #100
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Debating updgrading to a 10850k over my 3700x for a 3080. What are your gents thoughts? I havent paid much attention to the new ryzen series. I just know CPU games like FF14, LoL, and Overwatch my 3700x is highly limiting the system. Or would getting a 9900k for $350 be the better deal?
Why not wait for the Ryzen? However, 10850K is a champ CPU and I have my sights on it as well.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 02:08 PM   #101
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Why not wait for the Ryzen? However, 10850K is a champ CPU and I have my sights on it as well.
Some good deals on them right now
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 03:10 PM   #102
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The 3700X is not bottlenecking at any resolution above 2560x1440. Even at 1440P you'd be hard-pressed to find any noticeable bottleneck.

No point in purchasing a different platform when the new Ryzen chips could potentially be equal to or faster than the 10900K, and potentially reuse your motherboard with a BIOS flash.

Going from a 3700X to a 9900K would be stupid. The 10850K would make more sense, but still not a good move. I'd only recommend it if you were on a 1080P 240/360Hz monitor for competitive shooters like CSGO or Valorant.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 2, 2020, 03:36 PM   #103
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The 3700X is not bottlenecking at any resolution above 2560x1440. Even at 1440P you'd be hard-pressed to find any noticeable bottleneck.

No point in purchasing a different platform when the new Ryzen chips could potentially be equal to or faster than the 10900K, and potentially reuse your motherboard with a BIOS flash.

Going from a 3700X to a 9900K would be stupid. The 10850K would make more sense, but still not a good move. I'd only recommend it if you were on a 1080P 240/360Hz monitor for competitive shooters like CSGO or Valorant.
I assure you the 3700x is bottleknecking on CPU tolerance games such as I listed above. It's not a great single threaded performer which those games are mostly designed around.

I do also have a 4k 144hz display with a 3080 I'm sure I would see a 20+ fps uplift.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 03:48 PM   #104
Nunz
RIP Roxen

20+ FPS uplift going from what to what? 250 to 270? 180 to 200? There is no way your CPU limited under 144FPS in a single one of those games. None of those games you mentioned are super FPS intensive either like CSGO where you want 400fps+ the entire time.

Overwatch for example, the 3700X is capable of pulling over 300FPS avg on low settings @ 1080p.. at 4K you'll absolutely be GPU bottlenecked even on low. Same thing with League. Over 330FPS @ 1080p medium, and showed performance scaling up to a 2080TI.

IMO, it's a waste of money, especially with the new Ryzen chips coming out at the end of this month, but it seems you're convinced it's a CPU bottleneck, so go for it.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 04:01 PM   #105
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Believe it or not I have a hard time holding 144FPS with league even with my 2070 when I was playing at 1440p, it's a pretty common Ryzen problem. I'm certainly wavering, and Im sure alot of this has me wanting to do it because I cant find a 3080 and I'm bored.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 04:09 PM   #106
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That makes no sense. I can find countless benches of the 3700X on PBO running well above 144FPS in League.

That's very strange.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 04:37 PM   #107
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That makes no sense. I can find countless benches of the 3700X on PBO running well above 144FPS in League.

That's very strange.
It's an issue with power state. (and yes I have the correct power plan on)
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Oct 2, 2020, 05:16 PM   #108
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I hear ya ^

I'm CPU bound in a bunch of games I have installed atm at both 3440x1440 and even 4k. MSFS20, Total War, ArmA, Crysis Remastered. I can only imagine it will get worse with 3080/3090. I say get the fastest cores you can get your hands on - likely to be AMD 5 series released shortly.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 05:38 PM   #109
Nunz
RIP Roxen

There has to be a way around the issue with League. Plenty of people are running Ryzen chips now, and a lot of people play League (even if it's garbage )

MSFS20, Total War, ArmA, Crysis are all heavy CPU limited games that will actually give you low FPS. League and Overwatch are all easily capable of hitting far over 300FPS. League only hitting 144fps isn't a CPU limitation, it sounds like an issue with the system. I don't play league nor support Riot so I really don't know much to help troubleshoot. If it's a power-state issue, there should be a way around that, but I'm no expert when it comes to that game.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 05:57 PM   #110
demo
space cadet

Yeh sorry I don't play league, just meant I am also hitting CPU bottlenecks in some titles. It is a thing.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 06:36 PM   #111
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I assure you the 3700x is bottleknecking on CPU tolerance games such as I listed above. It's not a great single threaded performer which those games are mostly designed around.

I do also have a 4k 144hz display with a 3080 I'm sure I would see a 20+ fps uplift.
Huh? Your misguided, at 4K there is not more then a 1 percent difference in frame rates between top end intel and a 3700x. It’s not holding you back. This is with a 3080, the GPU is still the bottleneck at 4K
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:02 PM   #112
demo
space cadet

It totally depends on the game.

MSFS at 4k, 10700k is 15% faster than 3900x, and in RD2 4k it's 10% faster.

In fact watch this pcie3 vs pcie4 review. Aside from pcie scaling, it unintentionally shows the results of 10700k at 5.1 vs 3900x at 4.5. If I'm not mistaken, 3900x is a little faster than 3700x.

Last edited by demo : Oct 2, 2020 at 07:21 PM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:34 PM   #113
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Steve even says those benches are not for CPU comparisons due to specific settings/configurations used in order to compare the PCIE differences.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:39 PM   #114
demo
space cadet

He's only stating its a bandwidth review, not CPU review. He didn't use different settings between the pcie 3 systems though, the only variable is CPU.. like I said, it's unintentional, but the results are valid. In any case, there are other reviews showing similar differences.

In fact he also says, he has used the fastest CPU's from each platform in an attempt to remove CPU bottleneck, even disabling SMT on 3900XT because it hurts gaming performance.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:41 PM   #115
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
It totally depends on the game.

MSFS at 4k, 10700k is 15% faster than 3900x, and in RD2 4k it's 10% faster.

In fact watch this pcie3 vs pcie4 review. Aside from pcie scaling, it unintentionally shows the results of 10700k at 5.1 vs 3900x at 4.5. If I'm not mistaken, 3900x is a little faster than 3700x.

I have yet to see any benchmarks be more then about 1 to 3 percent difference going both ways at 4K.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:45 PM   #116
demo
space cadet

Then watch the video ^
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:48 PM   #117
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Then watch the video ^
First time I have seen anything in that range, I will need to look elsewhere before determining that as fact.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:49 PM   #118
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
He's only stating its a bandwidth review, not CPU review. He didn't use different settings between the pcie 3 systems though, the only variable is CPU.. like I said, it's unintentional, but the results are valid. In any case, there are other reviews showing similar differences.

In fact he also says, he has used the fastest CPU's from each platform in an attempt to remove CPU bottleneck, even disabling SMT on 3900XT because it hurts gaming performance.
Yeah you're right. He mentions that the 3900XT might be the limiting factor between the PCIE4 and the 3080 FE result.

I will say that it's strange that RDR2 would have differences in CPU performance considering how absolutely card-crushing the engine is on GPU.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:56 PM   #119
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I dont know, just not buying his numbers, I know its a 3950X but as always the numbers are within a few frames everywhere else I have looked at 4K.

And another from somewhere else, I say his results are an anomaly.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Oct 2, 2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 07:57 PM   #120
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I'd trust Steve over literally anyone else. I'll do some more research and see. Apparently newegg drop in 2min for some cards, then Gigabyte Aorus @ 930..