Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 10, 2020, 05:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

PC Master Race New gaming pc

It's that time again, and i'm completely outta the loop hardware-wise. I also know that it's not the best time to upgrade right now, but my old rig is getting me more trouble than fun lately, so there's that.

Budget would be somewhere ~ 2.000 €urinos

It should be a "good" pc that will last me a while, not the highest end, of course.

Something like this (just an example)

---

Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 900 silber

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 8x 3.8GHz, 32MB L3-Cache

Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Ellite | AMD X570

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB | ASUS TUF Gaming

RAM: 32GB DDR4-3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX | 2x 16GB

PSU: 850W - be quiet! Straight Power 11

Storage: 1TB Samsung 870 QVO + 4TB Seagate IronWolf Pro | 7.200 RPM

Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 135mm+120mm PWM

---

With the new RX 6000 cards it would be maybe a good idea to wait and see how they perform and of course how much they'll cost. Same goes for the CPU.

So, any ideas?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 06:17 AM   #2
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

That list is a fine build but your price point is too low.

Due to supply and demand, prices have gone way up.

That's assuming you can even find the main items on your list to buy!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

yep, i know, that's why i said "just an example". I'd be fine with less costy stuff, like another cpu or, of course, another gpu for example.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 10, 2020, 07:54 AM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

You could probably save some of your budget by going to 16GB of memory. 32GB isn't yet needed for gaming
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
You could probably save some of your budget by going to 16GB of memory. 32GB isn't yet needed for gaming
ok, noted. I also could re-use at least some of my hd/ssd. Although the biggest chunks are, as always, cpu / gpu which is why i'm asking for help/advice

As for the availability, well, most of the parts are actually available without problems. Of course i'd have to wait a bit for a 3080 (around a week or two), but a 3070 for example would be (instant) available almost everywhere. That is IF i'd go the NVIDIA-route.

Old Nov 10, 2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

What display resolution / refresh rate are you targeting? Knowing that will help better recommend the GPU.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 09:09 AM   #7
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

32 GB is required these days given Windows eats a chunk of memory and all. I would keep the 32 GB for future proofing. It is a solid build, however, I would suggest either a 5600X or 5900X given what everyone is saying about the AMD processor lineup.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
What display resolution / refresh rate are you targeting? Knowing that will help better recommend the GPU.
that's a good question, i forgot to add the monitor.

I thought about something like this: 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B | WQHD, IPS, 144Hz.

And yes, that's not included in the ~2000€ (of course not)

Old Nov 10, 2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

If using with gaming in mind, save money and get a 5600X, just look at all the reviews and you will see why. If more then gaming, get the 5900X.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
32 GB is required these days given Windows eats a chunk of memory and all. I would keep the 32 GB for future proofing. It is a solid build, however, I would suggest either a 5600X or 5900X given what everyone is saying about the AMD processor lineup.
It's not required at all. I only have 16GB and don't have any performance issues.

You could get 32GB now for future proofing (way in the future) but IMO its a better choice to just go with 16GB now and put the saved money towards the GPU. You can always upgrade to 32GB later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
that's a good question, i forgot to add the monitor.

I thought about something like this: 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B | WQHD, IPS, 144Hz.

And yes, that's not included in the ~2000? (of course not)
Great choice, I just got the 34" ultrawide version and its awesome.

I'd definitely go with the 3080 (or AMD equivalent - 6800XT) if you're using 1440 or above resolution with high refresh rate. It will give good performance overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
If using with gaming in mind, save money and get a 5600X, just look at all the reviews and you will see why. If more then gaming, get the 5900X.
Agree with this as well. 5600X is plenty good enough even with less cores. Although, might need to settle with whatever is available.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

First of all, thx for your input, guys. Much appreciated.

Ok, i'll change it to the 5600X then, because i'll be only playing games on that rig. Also considering lowering RAM to 16, also noted.

As for the 6800XT, i'm still not sure, i'd save some (maybe a lot) money, we'll see.

Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

6800XT performance looks to be on par with the 3080, for a little less money. Just some caveats:

AMD doesn't have a good track record with game ready drivers. Maybe they have gotten better now with RDNA2 but its yet to be seen. Could be a deal breaker for you.

Also, if Nvidia's DLSS is a feature that interests you AMD doesn't yet have an answer for that. They are supposedly working on something comparable, but again its yet to be seen. AMD however should support Ray Tracing if i recall correct.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:26 AM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I honestly think 32 Gs is required. I remember HZD hitching with 16 Gs and when I threw in a 32 G kit it started singing.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:57 AM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

I run 32 gigs. Idle Windows 10 uses 7.7 gigs on my machine with the VPN running and whatnot.

I can see how 16gigs is a norm. I can also understand going 32 gig.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I honestly think 32 Gs is required. I remember HZD hitching with 16 Gs and when I threw in a 32 G kit it started singing.
You keep saying "required." That's not what required means.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 01:46 PM   #16
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
6800XT performance looks to be on par with the 3080, for a little less money. Just some caveats:

AMD doesn't have a good track record with game ready drivers. Maybe they have gotten better now with RDNA2 but its yet to be seen. Could be a deal breaker for you.

Also, if Nvidia's DLSS is a feature that interests you AMD doesn't yet have an answer for that. They are supposedly working on something comparable, but again its yet to be seen. AMD however should support Ray Tracing if i recall correct.
thx again, Meteor. And yes, i'm not so fond of AMD-Cards, neither in the past - nor nowadays. And about the RAM, well, let's put it that way, it's not the factor that would/will hurt me the most, money-wise, because that's of course the 3080. Also i can always stack up on RAM, so that's not really my main concern about that build.

Old Nov 10, 2020, 01:52 PM   #17
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

OK happy PC building. If you are able to find the parts in stock that's half the battle!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 02:15 PM   #18
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I am in the same boat but considering just getting an Alienware Aurora R10/11 with a 3080, not sure I have the patience building one.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 02:50 PM   #19
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
I am in the same boat but considering just getting an Alienware Aurora R10/11 with a 3080, not sure I have the patience building one.
that's one fugly case though

Old Nov 10, 2020, 04:45 PM   #20
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
that's one fugly case though
Definitely a weird one, I don't care though to be honest -- I don't find any of these gaming desktops very attractive -- most are eyesores.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:26 PM   #21
theduce
Il Duce

theduce is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Definitely a weird one, I don't care though to be honest -- I don't find any of these gaming desktops very attractive -- most are eyesores.
The build in that Alienware is awful. I canceled my order after doing more research. There are other PC builders who seem to have a supply of 3080s. Was lucky enough to get one. I really didn't need to upgrade, but since wife works from home now I had a reason to give her my previous build.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 09:49 AM   #22
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

what's the difference (for gaming) between these two, because they cost exactly the same

Ryzen 5 5600X
Ryzen 7 3700X

I do know about the speccs, just wondering which one would be the better deal. For 50 bucks more there would be the Ryzen 7 3800X.

Old Mar 30, 2021, 09:52 AM   #23
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I think it depends who you ask. Some peeps will not buy a 6c/12t CPU and in some games (like say Cyberpunk) more cores seem to help.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:04 PM   #24
KAC
It might be gays!

5600X has higher single core IPC and will be at about 10% or so faster than a 3700X. I wouldn’t buy a Ryzen 2 processor as there are better Intel options available at that price like the 10700K if you want an 8 core CPU. However, if you are ok with 6 core then 5600X is the better buy.

My ranking would be

250 bones 11600K
300 bones 10700K or 5600X
350-400 bones skip
450 bones 5800X

Last edited by KAC : Mar 30, 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 02:31 PM   #25
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
what's the difference (for gaming) between these two, because they cost exactly the same

Ryzen 5 5600X
Ryzen 7 3700X

I do know about the speccs, just wondering which one would be the better deal. For 50 bucks more there would be the Ryzen 7 3800X.

Old Mar 30, 2021, 02:46 PM   #26
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Why buy Intel? Price, for a little more than a 5600X I got a 10900KF.

yoz
Old Mar 30, 2021, 03:03 PM   #27
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

i don't _need_ to buy a Ryzen (it just seemd to be the new "trend"), i've seen similar builds with a 10700k. It just seemd a bit strange that a Ryzen 7 is kinda worse than a Ryzen 5. Which is why i asked. I'm getting old and as i've said i'm completely out of the loop hardware-wise.

Thx again, guys, for your valued input.

Old Mar 30, 2021, 03:08 PM   #28
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Why buy Intel?

1.) Price - Currently due to all the Intel ****ups over the past few years they've had to seriously drop prices. So performance per dollar is great.

2.) Bios maturity and Chipset Compatability - All things considered the intel bios is more mature, even now AMD is still battling the USB drop issues and has a beta Agesa Bios out to help fix the problem, but apparently its still there.

3.) Overclocking - Much much much easier to OC an Intel CPU then it is to OC Ryzen. With Ryzen you need to keep that 1:1 ratio with memory. Once the ratio is out performance loss occurs, even though your memory may be able to clock to 5000MHz, you lost performance due to the ratio being out of whack. Just ask as resident KAC.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either Intel or AMD.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 03:14 PM   #29
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either Intel or AMD.
What the man said.

yoz
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:27 PM   #30
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

It seems like what you're looking at is decent. That being said, I feel like this is a semi-bad time to buy. If you could limp along with that machine for another six months to a year you'll probably be able to build a better system at the same price because the weird market distortions will have gone away and Intel will hopefully be back in competition with Alder Lake. Also, Intel Alder Lake may support DDR5, so you could just skip DDR4 entirely and go straight to a DDR5 platform.

The problem right now is that you can't even buy a GPU which defeats a lot of the point of upgrading. Maybe at a minimum start looking for a GPU and hold off on the rest of the build until you actually manage to get one, which could be a while.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote