Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 26, 2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default monitors

what do you all recommend these days, anything new thats exciting?

looking at this, thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C32G2-Fra...pc&sr=1-3&th=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Curved-F...11&s=pc&sr=1-1
I'd like a 34 or 36" in around 16:9 aspect ratio but can't find...

all the 34" seem to be the narrow height long width 20:9 or worse... I hate monitors with low height, like this,

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-...11&s=pc&sr=1-5

Last edited by Vanz_007 : Mar 26, 2021 at 07:46 AM.
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 07:43 AM   #2
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

wrong forum?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

That's because 21:9 is slowly replacing 16:9. You don't actually loose any height technically. It's 2560 x 1440 vs 3440 x 1440, so you gain horizontal. That said though a 34" 21:9 is more comparable to a 27" 16:9. For 21:9, you have to go up to 38" to get comparable physical height to a 32" 16:9.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:34 PM   #4
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
what do you all recommend these days, anything new thats exciting?
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-32-in...6780000&sr=8-1

KAC and I have this one.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 01:49 PM   #5
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Height is highly overrated imo.
Width is where it's at.
Games in ultrawide look fantastic.
Besides abismal panel quality, I returned a 32" curved 16:9 AOC because of the height/width ratio.
Tons of vertical space I didn't need.
This is all highly subjective, of course.

Still,I wouldn't go AOC for their panel quality alone, but your experience could obviously be different.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

for 16:9 you are going to be looking at 32" or jumping into the 40's typically

32" is WAY more popular a size for large display sizes especially for 1440P

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
you happy with it?

I jump to the 1 star views and not looking great:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...wPEQ&gclsrc=ds
Old Mar 26, 2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
Height is highly overrated imo.
Width is where it's at.
Games in ultrawide look fantastic.
Besides abismal panel quality, I returned a 32" curved 16:9 AOC because of the height/width ratio.
Tons of vertical space I didn't need.
This is all highly subjective, of course.

Still,I wouldn't go AOC for their panel quality alone, but your experience could obviously be different.
it a personal preference, I got this for work and don't like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Marketin...6798454&sr=8-3

I find the stuff on the edges is near useless, I like by split 28" monitor setup better then this 49" dell, cause I could angle to anything to suitr my eyes. For the dell I have rotate my head and move/pan it every time I need to see the outer edges, doesn't sounds like a big deal but after a few hundred times a day it gets tiring...

super ultrawide is not where its at in my opinion, unless they can make the curvature more.

I now have a $1,400 monitor at work that I'm not sure what to do with... when people walk by they are wow'd by it...

Vanz

Last edited by Vanz_007 : Mar 27, 2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 05:54 PM   #9
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
you happy with it?

I jump to the 1 star views and not looking great:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...wPEQ&gclsrc=ds
Very happy with it. Updated the BIOS when I got it and no issues. HDR is weak on it so don't buy for that alone.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That's a super-ultrawide though, the 21:9 panels are not as extreme.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:27 AM   #11
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
hmm, okay updated my comment to super wide...

really like this if it was half the price:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-38BN95C-W-...822327&sr=8-10
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:32 AM   #12
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I’ve been on a triple monitor setup for many years, so I could have easily gone super-ultra if it wasn’t for the price, but even then I would have ended up not making much use of it.
UW curved on the other hand makes games look sweet while having more desktop space to fiddle around with.
Don’t want to speak too soon as I want to give my 5th (yeah, that’s MY FIFTH!) monitor in a row a couple weeks testing, but if the hardware gods decide my lottery time is over, it looks like the Asus VG34VQL could very well be a keeper.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:23 PM   #13
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
I’ve been on a triple monitor setup for many years, so I could have easily gone super-ultra if it wasn’t for the price, but even then I would have ended up not making much use of it.
UW curved on the other hand makes games look sweet while having more desktop space to fiddle around with.
Don’t want to speak too soon as I want to give my 5th (yeah, that’s MY FIFTH!) monitor in a row a couple weeks testing, but if the hardware gods decide my lottery time is over, it looks like the Asus VG34VQL could very well be a keeper.
this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-VG32VQ.../dp/B07VFKSGRW

I'm considering tbis:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

165 vs 144hz, why choose the VG34VQL ?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:53 PM   #14
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:58 AM   #15
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Quote:
Nope, this one, and it's 165Hz

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG34VQL1...bb_marketplace

At the moment it seems the best budget (payed 650€ for it, not so budget for me) curved uw according to rtings review, at least on paper

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...ming-vg34vql1b

Last edited by Lurk : Mar 28, 2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:30 AM   #16
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Looks like a decent monitor and VA as well which at least from my stand point is preferred over IPS for blacks.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 02:47 PM   #17
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Still need to do some thorough testing.
I have noticed some minor brightness flickering in Death Stranding and RDR2, but ONLY on loading screens where fps fluctuations occur.
The good thing is that, contrary to what was happening with the AOC 32" curved 16:9 (extremely evident) and the Gigabyte G34WQC curved 34" 21:9 (noticeable), at the moment I haven't experienced any ghosting or black smearing whatsoever.
And the wow effect was definitely there when I fired up Doom Eternal in HDR.
First impression is quite good, will see how it goes in the next couple of weeks.