Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 10, 2021, 07:53 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I do run CO at -10 all core. Doesn’t make much difference. I ran it with a few more cores at -20 and it worked fine until I got my 3090 and started having crashes. So now I am back to -10. Either way we are talking about 1-2 C deltas and mostly above 80 C gaming performance unlike all the Intels I have had.
I was talking about 10-20 less C but I run all core at 4.6GHz, not 4.8 or whatever.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 05:10 PM   #32
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Coming back to this. Right now I have an i5-8400 on a z370 mainboard. I want to still use a 65W part, so I could upgrade to an i9-9900 without having to replace the motherboard. Or I could replace the motherboard and go with 10900 or 11900 CPU.

Am I going to see a considerate gain in gaming with 9900 over 8400? And 10900/11900 vs 9900?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 05:34 PM   #33
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'd just grab a 9900 (I'd go with the K..) and drop it in to that board. Alderlake is coming in October, with a refresh the year after. Don't waste $$ on a motherboard right now.

The 9900 is significantly faster than the 8400. 8c/16thread and almost double the cache. Definitely worth it.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM   #34
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I also would go with a 9900K or just leave it be and wait for next gen. There's not enough performance increase in 10000 or 11000 series to warrant the cost of a new board.

Also the truth is any high end CPU from the past few years will generally be enough to get you to be GPU limited, especially at 1440P or higher. Even an 8700K will do that, or for that matter even a Ryzen 3600--not in all situations but in most situations. That's another reason why it's not worth buying a new board versus simply upgrading to the limit of your current one: you don't need the absolute fastest processor on the market, just a fairly fast one.

That being said, if you only have a 1080 you're probably GPU limited most of the time even with your current processor. If I were you I'd prioritize a GPU upgrade over a CPU upgrade (granted GPUs are not the easiest to come by right now).

Last edited by Nagorak : Yesterday at 08:51 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #35
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I also would go with a 9900K or just leave it be and wait for next gen. There's not enough performance increase in 10000 or 11000 series to warrant the cost of a new board.

Also the truth is any high end CPU from the past few years will generally be enough to get you to be GPU limited, especially at 1440P or higher. Even an 8700K will do that, or for that matter even a Ryzen 3600--not in all situations but in most situations. That's another reason why it's not worth buying a new board versus simply upgrading to the limit of your current one: you don't need the absolute fastest processor on the market, just a fairly fast one.

That being said, if you only have a 1080 you're probably GPU limited most of the time even with your current processor. If I were you I'd prioritize a GPU upgrade over a CPU upgrade (granted GPUs are not the easiest to come by right now).
I have the RTX4000, which is equal to the RTX 2070. Right now it is paired to an i5-8400 CPU, and I just ordered an i9-9900, without the K. I want to stay with 65W part.

My wife took over my old 8086k/1080 system.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #36
Och
ATI Champion

I'm also thinking about sending the 9900 to silicon lottery for the delid with liquid metal service for optimal cooling. I did it to my old 8086k and my daughters 9900K.