Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Default Retro topic: CRTs

I've been looking at https://twitter.com/CRTpixels , lots of amazing comparison examples there.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

My eyes!
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:48 PM   #3
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Alot of CRT enthusiasts say that modern flatscreens will never be able to capture the look of a CRT. I actually disagree with this. The fact that you can take a photo of a CRT and display that on an LCD proves that the LCD is capable of properly representing the image... it's just a matter of getting the proper signal to the screen. Of course the examples above are zoomed way in, but that's fine since LCD tvs are so much higher resolution anyway. A 4k tv actually has plenty of pixels to represent CRT content with alot of nuanced details, including the scanlines.

I expect that in the future we'll have zero-lag 4k-8k gaming scalers that use AI to smooth out this kind of content in a variety of ways, including very convincing CRT filters. Using something like that on a good OLED screen will basically be indistinguishable. I certainly hope so, as CRTs are going to die off eventually.

btw, I'm currently rocking 14 CRTs in my house, if you include 2 vintage Macs and my Vectrex. I'm doing my best to preserve them... as well as occasionally rescuing more off the sidewalk in my neighborhood.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

For me the pixel art of these old games were obviously designed with CRT technology in mind. So whenever I play them on an HD monitor, although cleaner looking they never look quite right to me.

I love playing NES games on my Hi-def modded NES top loader but I can't play them without the scanlines filter, and even still it does not perfectly match that original look of playing on CRT. Pixel art on CRT seems to give the appearance of more depth while HD monitors make the sprites look flatter, or at least that's the best I can explain it. So of course I still keep a 27" Sony Trinitron with another NES hooked up for when I just have to play the original intended way.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:46 PM   #5
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Seems like we simply need to add a black bar of pixels between each bar of content.

We may need to do some interpolation or between different frames too. Problem solved!

EDIT: I suspect if we could get a 27" 4K CRT, it would look more like an LCD than people would want to believe. Said CRT would also require such emulation too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Last edited by metroidfox : Apr 21, 2021 at 01:53 PM.
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2021, 02:09 PM   #6
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Seems like we simply need to add a black bar of pixels between each bar of content.

We may need to do some interpolation or between different frames too. Problem solved!

EDIT: I suspect if we could get a 27" 4K CRT, it would look more like an LCD than people would want to believe. Said CRT would also require such emulation too.
Well it's more than just adding scanlines, although the scanlines make a big difference. There's also the per-pixel bloom, and the ways that certain colors interact with each other to blend into additional colors and shades. I've seen some pretty compelling HLSL CRT shaders for MAME, but they take a higher-end PC to run... not just a raspberry pi, for example.

Although raspberry pi can do some good stuff too, such as shown here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Shaders-and-Smoothing/

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Apr 21, 2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 05:25 PM   #7
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Wow. Those look amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2021, 04:48 AM   #8
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Still love me some CRTs....

For Retroarch CRT shaders, I like smuberstep-glow.glslp for added CRT "texture" and crt-royale.glsp is nice if you want a more extreme CRT experience.

Slightly tangentially, the other day I watched a video review of the Super NT and the guy went on about how the raw pixel look was the only way to authentically play retro games, neglecting the fact that they were designed for 240p CRT play. IMO, they just don't look right on a modern flat panel without scanlines at the minimum.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 09:13 AM   #9
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Other than the hulking size/weight I really do miss my Sony Trinitron Wega 1080i CRT tv...it had absolutely stellar picture quality and was great for older games/systems and still fantastic for HD content. People were always amazed when we would watch HD movies on it
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2021, 02:19 PM   #10
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yup I feel like ass now for getting rid of mine There's a plasma in its place, but still....
Old Apr 22, 2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Here are my two Trinitrons:

20 years old this November!

The remote I found at a thrift store. Not sure if its the one that comes with this TV but it works.

I also have a 13" that I use for quickly testing new retro consoles during cleaning/repair:

They both still work perfectly, not sure how long they will live. Maybe longer than me?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2021, 04:31 PM   #12
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Scanlines were basically free pre-Anti Aliasiang Anti Aliasing.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 10:50 PM   #13
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

1st gen iPhone SE doesn't take the greatest pictures so I do apologize.

I like the natural colors and glossy screens are just sexy. Hard to get a glossy anymore. Super wide viewing angles and and smooth response time. Why not have one for free. They show up all over craigslist. I just passed on a 36inch Trinitron because I couldn't get someone to help me lift that monstrosity.

Last edited by fO Che -USA- : May 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM.
fO Che -USA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021, 12:46 AM   #14
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I kinda wish I had kept my 30 something inch Toshiba CRT HDTV. Would have been a killer screen for both retro and other stuff.... then I remember it was over 100 pounds -_-

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021, 01:32 AM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
I kinda wish I had kept my 30 something inch Toshiba CRT HDTV. Would have been a killer screen for both retro and other stuff.... then I remember it was over 100 pounds -_-
I used to lug my lovely 21" (22?) CRT (Gateway brand iirc, but it was a beauty) to lan parties back at university. Would toss my keyboard & mouse inside my Supermicro 750A chassis for the trip.

Last edited by Lupine : May 6, 2021 at 01:38 AM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021, 03:08 AM   #16
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

we had 21" Iiyama at work. They were awesome, well, at least until you had to move one of these mofos...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2021, 11:52 AM   #17
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
we had 21" Iiyama at work. They were awesome, well, at least until you had to move one of these mofos...
Try moving an old pre-flatscreen 60" Plasma TV.........
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
Old May 13, 2021, 12:10 PM   #18
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwardsMyTMouse can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I believe my 36" Sony Trinitron was 230lbs...probably get a hernia trying to move that by yourself plus it was just so bulky
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021, 05:04 AM   #19
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
i wouldn't, well, not without a forklift

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021, 09:31 AM   #20
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
i wouldn't, well, not without a forklift
A friend of mine had one of those. 60" plasma flatscreen by Panasonic. Being new tech at the time i think it cost like 15,000 bucks (she was rich)

We had 4 people carry the thing and 2 extras kind of as balance guides/extra carry hands on the sides.

And we had to go up a flight of stairs....

Totally gassed out afterwards.
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
Old May 14, 2021, 10:21 AM   #21
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I did the whole 60" plasma move a couple of times recently. I love my Samsung Plasma, but it sure is fragile and awkward to move.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2021, 05:54 PM   #22
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Wired sharing the love:

https://www.wired.com/story/crt-tube...h-retro-games/

In the end, everyone's gaming preference is theirs alone, and there's no wrong choice for how you like your retro games. Whether you're chasing PVMs, RGB, and the highest possible fidelity, or happy with the vintage experience of composite on a consumer set, CRTs continue to be one of the absolute best options for playing old video games.

CRT tech is like rose-colored glasses for the retro games we've become accustomed to playing on our flatscreens. Like those glasses, it smooths out the experience, hides the flaws, and fills us with all the warm fuzzies we crave when we boot up our favorites.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro